vf-1 DYRL style hand

Crazy Canuck

I have another favor to ask..... :D

Since my 1/48 VF-1S is with all my other stuff (in fact I've never even set eyes on it :( ) I was wondering if someone could take some hand measurements for me? I would like to fill in the following: (red=minimum black=bonus)

BTW, In case no one guessed, I'm thinking about exparimenting with some custom 1/48 DYRL hands.

148_hand_size.jpg

Have you thought of looking into buying an RT Super Poseable? I noticed the hand sculpts is from DYRL because the fingers are more squared off than rounded (like the TV's version). Hope this helps.

~G25

I hadn't thought of that..... But, I'm not to sure how usefull they would be since I'm planning on scratch building a set of poseable DYRL hands that look a little nicer than the current 1/48. Idealy I want them to be poseable, bigger and still work with the transformation. However since I've yet to even see a 1/48 in person, let alone handled one. I'm not sure how difficult it's going to be, but for now I'm just concidering designs, hence my need for accurate pics as well as the current 1/48 hand measurments. :)

This image is kinda blurry I can render some ortho views, piece by piece to use as templates if you need em.

To scratch build 1/48 hands may be a pain.

Here's a wireframe on how I store it in battroid mode. It gives more "real" space to store the hands in their real size without morphing. If I stored them in the "fist" position, like we are used to, they would look severely atrophied. (SP?) (Like Yammie 1/48 hands are proportionate anyway.)

I think this may be a more realistic way to store the hands anyway. If I were an engineer trying to design this I'd want maximum size in minimum space. The "fist stow" is counter productive to this.

Since the Yammie hands pivot rather than extend like the aniome shows, this design may still work for you, especially if the finger joints are movable.

Notice that the back hand, wrist, fingers (all joints) have pivots. There is the opposable thumb and semi-opposable pinky pivots as well. The semi-opposable pinky is cannon as well since I took it right from the Design Works DYRL sketches.

PM me if you do ...

post-2-1069612375_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aztek

Excellent!... Thanks so much for the pics Aztek, they will be most valuable.

Your, 3D valk looks sweet... One of these days, I'll have to make one of my own. ;D

Anyway, thanks again for the pics and the advice...... Now if I could just get those measurments for the current 1/48 hands I'd be half way there.... Ok maybe not half way, but at least it would be a good start. :D

Thanks again.

I have a fine scale ruler, so maybe by tonight I'll get you the deminsions you need.

Great news!!. Thanks again Aztek... Say any chance I could include another measuerment?

I need to know the width of the forearm opening (or the hatch for that matter) which the hands pass through when rotating them into the stored position.

In inches, cuz my ruler measures in 32nds, here they go ...

A. 3/32

B. 3/8

C. 3/8 With a near 90 degree bend at the, the finger is not straight

D. 5/8

Opening to stow arms, wide 12-13/32 or 25/64 and 9/16 tall.

All dimensions are exact to the 32nd exept for the one with the 64th measurement. I just reduced the fractions to their lowest level.

I'd also examine those line drawings, cuz on your first pic all of the knuckles above the g row are combined, i.e., the farthest two "bones" towards the tip would be one solid bone. I used 2 pivots where one knuckle would be to give it some extra length and grip for when holding the gun pod.

Hope this helps !!

Maybe it will get me dibs on a set should you ever mass produce them !!

Edited by Aztek

Thanks for your help Aztek, it's much appreciated and if I ever get some custom hands finished and into production you definitely have dibs. ;)

Custom....1/48 hands? :D

Maybe.... Depends how well the prototypes go (not sure when I'll be getting around to actually making some) and how much of a pain they would be to reproduce (ie. cast), but ya there's a possiblity there might be some "Crazy Canuck 1/48 poseable custom hands" and they'll even come in spiffy film containers just like my heads did. :D