Building the VF-171

ahiachris

Got the VF-17 kit from the recent WF. After opening the box I'm already very satisfied with what I get. I'd decided to build this kit before Bandai roll out the injection version. This will be my first build on an WF kit.

As I like to build things as close as what the original art work, I started to dig the limited artwork on this valkyrie. I'm lucky to be able to find all that were useful enough for me to refine this kit. Comparing the artwork I found out there are several places that need to work on.

First the side of the fuselage area near the cockpit need to widen. I started to glue layers of styrene at the side then use a sharp chisel to carve the sharp.

post-7569-1266685547_thumb.jpgpost-7569-1266685473_thumb.jpg

Flatten the nozzles at the nose cone and then carving the details.

post-7569-1266685723_thumb.jpgpost-7569-1266685666_thumb.jpgpost-7569-1266685628_thumb.jpg

Widening the area near the wing with styrene and then carve out the details. Hope that I can be quick enough to finish this kit.

If you check back a ways in this section of the forum, there was a post about scratchbuilding a VF-171. I posted a good collection of high resolution screencaptures of the VF-171, so they may work well as references. Some were nearly planform views.

Thanks for the information.

Looking good so far :)

Another update on the VF-171. The modification was first made on the left side of the valkyrie so I can have some guide lines and give you guys on the rate of the modification.

The left upper leg was almost done (engine intake) All white parts on the kit were modifications made with sheet styrene. When comparing the kit with the artworks I found that the lower legs were not long enough so I have to extend it by 10mm. You can all see the comparison at the second picture.

post-7569-1267001785_thumb.jpgpost-7569-1267001825_thumb.jpg

The nozzles at the back of the lower leg part was also modified.

post-7569-1267001863_thumb.jpgpost-7569-1267001929_thumb.jpg

Dry fit to some of the main parts of the valkyrie.

post-7569-1267008244_thumb.jpgpost-7569-1267008736_thumb.jpg

First the side of the fuselage area near the cockpit need to widen. I started to glue layers of styrene at the side then use a sharp chisel to carve the sharp.

What kind of glue did you use to bond the styrene to the resin?

Great job on it btw!

I was just working on a resin kit and I need to do a build up on the wings for a good natural fit, and was afraid of using styrene because of creating a good enough bond.

I normally either use super glue or epoxy for bonding resin parts, but I never have to sand those areas and was afraid either may have given me to many issues with sanding with the styrene.

What kind of glue did you use to bond the styrene to the resin?

Great job on it btw!

I was just working on a resin kit and I need to do a build up on the wings for a good natural fit, and was afraid of using styrene because of creating a good enough bond.

I normally either use super glue or epoxy for bonding resin parts, but I never have to sand those areas and was afraid either may have given me to many issues with sanding with the styrene.

When I am adding small detail parts of styrene I'll use modeling glue just to meld the plastic and use the melt plastic to bond directly to the resin. While I use super glue to bond the styrene onto the resin it was when I am doing remodelling work. I'll lightly sand both surfaces before bonding them together.

Further progress on the VF-171. A lot of study on the artwork and screen captures made by members here. Here are the pics of the fuselage and the wing. Only half of the plane was modified to show the amount of modification was required on the kit to make it more accurate.

post-7569-1267462989_thumb.jpgpost-7569-1267463130_thumb.jpgpost-7569-1267463196_thumb.jpgpost-7569-1267463292_thumb.jpg