Here's my VF-2SS,

vlenhoff

Hey Vic

Kudos to you for being courages enough to show us your latest experiment. Did you use an airbrush to paint the majority of the piece? It looks as though you had used a spray can to paint the chest area with that heavy granulated effect, this maybe a result spraying to heavily from one coat of paint.

Investing in a good aribrush would eliminate having to use a paintbrush on large sections of the model and eliminate all the tell-tale signs of where a paitbrush have been applied. Refer to WMCheng's threads to get all the info on what masking products, paints & of course his great artistic touch by adding weathering effects to his models. I'm sure learning alot from the master!

Eric

Yeap, that's exactly what happenned. Sprayed a bit to much with a testors spray can.

Thanks for the pointers!

Vic.

Nice kit, and good job putting it together and getting it painted :)

I used to have the same problem with paint granulation, it can also be caused by humidity exceeding the recommended limits on the brand of paint. (humidity in the 90+% range all summer here Yuck :p) In the past when I have had this happen on a nice kit, and something you might consider if you have a rainy day or two and feel like farting around with touching up your valk, would be to find some really fine sandpaper, like 400-600 grit ( The stuff that looks like construction paper the grit is so fine) and lightly sanding the parts of the kit that got granulated paint flecks. This will scuff your paint job all to heck, but it turns into a great basecoat as it is the same color as you intend the model to be. Then dilute/thin out a bottle of the paint that you will use to recover the affected areas.

It is a ton of work but if you got nothing better to do some day it might be a fun project.

Your pictures look great I really like the way you set the valk up on the stand :)

Oh, and if you don't have access to an airbrush, as I didn't for the longest time, I found that the best way to get smooth coats of paint is to invest in a couple art brushes with very fine bristles and to paint in multiple thinned out coats. The thinner the paint (At least for me) and the more careful I am are the less chance there is of having bristle-lines and stroke patterns show up in the fnished product.

And I don't mean that as criticism, your kit looks really cool, just a technique you might like to play with sometime.

Nice kit, and good job putting it together and getting it painted :)

I used to have the same problem with paint granulation, it can also be caused by humidity exceeding the recommended limits on the brand of paint. (humidity in the 90+% range all summer here Yuck :p) In the past when I have had this happen on a nice kit, and something you might consider if you have a rainy day or two and feel like farting around with touching up your valk, would be to find some really fine sandpaper, like 400-600 grit ( The stuff that looks like construction paper the grit is so fine) and lightly sanding the parts of the kit that got granulated paint flecks. This will scuff your paint job all to heck, but it turns into a great basecoat as it is the same color as you intend the model to be. Then dilute/thin out a bottle of the paint that you will use to recover the affected areas.

It is a ton of work but if you got nothing better to do some day it might be a fun project.

Your pictures look great I really like the way you set the valk up on the stand :)

Oh, and if you don't have access to an airbrush, as I didn't for the longest time, I found that the best way to get smooth coats of paint is to invest in a couple art brushes with very fine bristles and to paint in multiple thinned out coats. The thinner the paint (At least for me) and the more careful I am are the less chance there is of having bristle-lines and stroke patterns show up in the fnished product.

And I don't mean that as criticism, your kit looks really cool, just a technique you might like to play with sometime.

Critisism, is my best friend right now :lol:

Thanks for the comments,

Vic.

vic,

that's a great kit. hey you're not the only one that sucks on painting, i myself sucks too... anyways, practice makes perfect. keep up the good work...by the way, what's the scale of the model?.

dyowelb

The scale is 1/100, so it is a small suckah! I so hate to have different scales among my Macross collection. I've got( 1) 1/100, (5) 1/72, (2) 1/65, (9) 1/60, (4) 1/48.

The only thing I can compare with my Macross collection is my 1/60, and 1/100 Gundam Models(wich are not painted all the way)

Vic.

Good Job!

Does yours have floppy large cannon syndrome?

Actually, the "rod" that holds that cannon broke yesterday. It seems like a little extra paint forced the loop that held the "rubber" peice to break.This piece also holds the "cannon pack" I fixed it yesterday, but it sort of limits the overall movement of the cannon.

sucjy, sucky, sucky. Next time I'll be more careful.

Vic.

Well i'm just happy to see someone actually building their models, rather then horde them away in a dark closet for noone else to see (brings Gollum to mind "My Precious..........") Hard to beleive that here in Macross World, I have only seen 5 other VF-2ss Valks. It's too bad more people collect models instead of build them.