1/72 vf-1 launch arm/signal from SSM

shinagami

just saw this in the SSm store.... http://www.starshipmodeler.com/newshop/ind...FTOKEN=84711451. ...sadly, due to the economic situation nowadays, i hav to pass this :(

however,if anyone bought this please do share the review or the finished model kits pictures here :wub:

There is already a review and a buid-up here

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...t=0#entry341193

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=17626

Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This cracked me up:

Cleaning up my model area and organizing I realized I never made myself a launch arm. With the probably 50 or more kits I made, I forgot myself. I found an "extra pieces" box and had most things, but was missing the main arm pieces. So, scrounging around I found the molds (2+ years old) and some resin (2+ years old) I said, "There is no chance this is going to work" but crossing my fingers hooked up the vacuum pump and compressors...stirred up the resin real nice and took a crack at it. I was stunned...first try...nice clean castings. It's a late christmas miracle!

Yea! Now I have a kit too!

post-89-1264870982_thumb.jpg

Man.

You will need to make some more for us, or let someone borrow the molds :rolleyes:

:) My casting days (at least in any quantity) are done for a while. I'm truly sorry, I'd love to help...but I honestly don't have the time anymore. (I havent touched my two bench cast area literally since I packed these molds up which had to be 2005)

I posted this cause I was stunned the molds still worked. I also wouldn't want to go behind Gundamheads back. I made a deal with him to cast these for him to sell, and I wouldn't want to be seeming to be cutting him out.

All that said...if someone wants to cast them and wants my molds please contact Gundamhead. If you can work a deal with him I'd be happy to provide my molds, and all the information you will need on how to work them. At least 1 is designed for Vacuum casting, and you'd need a nice size pressure tank for the others, but we can talk about that. I dont know how many kits they will produce (again, I'm shocked they didn't fall apart after this long...but the rubber seems good...if you keep them well powdered you might get 10 to 20 kits out of them.

Let me know if your interested and Ill be happy to try and help broker a deal with Gundamhead.

Cheers all.

Im definitely interested

:) My casting days (at least in any quantity) are done for a while. I'm truly sorry, I'd love to help...but I honestly don't have the time anymore. (I havent touched my two bench cast area literally since I packed these molds up which had to be 2005)

I posted this cause I was stunned the molds still worked. I also wouldn't want to go behind Gundamheads back. I made a deal with him to cast these for him to sell, and I wouldn't want to be seeming to be cutting him out.

All that said...if someone wants to cast them and wants my molds please contact Gundamhead. If you can work a deal with him I'd be happy to provide my molds, and all the information you will need on how to work them. At least 1 is designed for Vacuum casting, and you'd need a nice size pressure tank for the others, but we can talk about that. I dont know how many kits they will produce (again, I'm shocked they didn't fall apart after this long...but the rubber seems good...if you keep them well powdered you might get 10 to 20 kits out of them.

Let me know if your interested and Ill be happy to try and help broker a deal with Gundamhead.

Cheers all.

Just curious to know how the pre-order deal on Starship Modeller works if you are not casting anymore and you still have the molds. How is Gundamhead getting more arms to fill the orders?

Cheers all.

Just curious to know how the pre-order deal on Starship Modeller works if you are not casting anymore and you still have the molds. How is Gundamhead getting more arms to fill the orders?

IIRC Gundamhead sold the masters to SSM. presumably new molds were made as the ones produced recently have bigger diameter copper rods to counter sagging. the one doing the casting for SSM is also a member here, i think it's Valkyrie. i was fortunate to get a couple when SSM released it, but had to stalk that site on an almost daily basis for nearly two years :blink:

i was fortunate to get a couple when SSM released it, but had to stalk that site on an almost daily basis for nearly two years :blink:

:lol: I was stalking the site for two years too. Will check their site several times daily. It's the same thing whenever Captain announces his new release. I almost missed his release of the Glaug due to being too sleepy to wait for his confirmation.

:p

I wasn't aware that Gundam sold the masters, but that sounds likely. The molds I have are the ones I made when I was making the kit. The kit was made from the original WF kit (with larger rods then that one used) I got the kit from WF and was soorly disapointed in the detail. Gundamhead suggested he could take it and turn it into something special...which he did. I cast it for him, he packed and sold them.

Now...if he's sold the rights to the kits then we really couldn't go by his approval to have me pass on the molds to someone...so I guess the right person to start with is him. He's lurking around somewhere so maybe he will chime in.

I'm curious...regarding the sagging...anyone have pictures? I'm looking at the brass rods I used and I'd be suprised if they couldn't hold a Valk. (again, they are larger then the WF ones). I'd love to see where they are bending and chew on how to fix it. (also, make sure they are in fact my castings. I think Gundamhead passed on casting responsibilities to someone else after I stopped...but that could be misinformation. )

I wasn't aware that Gundam sold the masters, but that sounds likely. The molds I have are the ones I made when I was making the kit. The kit was made from the original WF kit (with larger rods then that one used) I got the kit from WF and was soorly disapointed in the detail. Gundamhead suggested he could take it and turn it into something special...which he did. I cast it for him, he packed and sold them.

Now...if he's sold the rights to the kits then we really couldn't go by his approval to have me pass on the molds to someone...so I guess the right person to start with is him. He's lurking around somewhere so maybe he will chime in.

I'm curious...regarding the sagging...anyone have pictures? I'm looking at the brass rods I used and I'd be suprised if they couldn't hold a Valk. (again, they are larger then the WF ones). I'd love to see where they are bending and chew on how to fix it. (also, make sure they are in fact my castings. I think Gundamhead passed on casting responsibilities to someone else after I stopped...but that could be misinformation. )

Well WM Cheng is the only one that we know of finishing the launch arm. He will be the right person to share with us on whether the launch arm was sagging or not.

So, I was able to talk to Gundamhead and WM Cheng today and get a little more information. Gundamhead and WM have both built the kit and both experienced some saggaing. Gundam's display is vertical (base flat, arm pointing up 90 degrees) and his issue is a small bend in the actual clamp mechanism. This was not reinforced when I cast it...and I dont believe it is now. WM Chengs issue is more serious. He said he would post pictures, but his is off by an inch or more. His issue is compounded is the arm is extending out from the wall holding all the weight of the Valk. I'd love to see the pictures for more ideas, but I wanted to post this so anyone who gets a kit, or already has one is aware. Valkyries thicker rod idea may help...but based on what WM said it still may be a problem over the long term. WM's is a few years old now, and he said it has happened slowly over time. I think the combination of the length of the arm and the weight of the valk will just be something to be careful of.

My first thoughts for those building a kit are:

1 - Consider display position. The Arm up at 90 degrees will probably be less problematic. Adding some brass pins during build would probably make sense as well

2 - Keep your Valk as light as possible

3 - Clear bracing. I was thinking, if I build mine like WM I may add a clear acrylic rod at a 45 degree between the valk and the base. It stinks to have to do, but it may go a long way. Other bracing ideas could be a small piece of fishing line going from the valk at a 45 degree above the base.

I'm sure you all have many better ideas then I...what do you think?

Finally, as for fixing existing issues...any ideas for WM? My best bet would be to heat the resin and try to bend it back, but I honestly dont know that the paint would survive it. Anyone have a better thought here for WM?

So, I was able to talk to Gundamhead and WM Cheng today and get a little more information. Gundamhead and WM have both built the kit and both experienced some saggaing. Gundam's display is vertical (base flat, arm pointing up 90 degrees) and his issue is a small bend in the actual clamp mechanism. This was not reinforced when I cast it...and I dont believe it is now. WM Chengs issue is more serious. He said he would post pictures, but his is off by an inch or more. His issue is compounded is the arm is extending out from the wall holding all the weight of the Valk. I'd love to see the pictures for more ideas, but I wanted to post this so anyone who gets a kit, or already has one is aware. Valkyries thicker rod idea may help...but based on what WM said it still may be a problem over the long term. WM's is a few years old now, and he said it has happened slowly over time. I think the combination of the length of the arm and the weight of the valk will just be something to be careful of.

My first thoughts for those building a kit are:

1 - Consider display position. The Arm up at 90 degrees will probably be less problematic. Adding some brass pins during build would probably make sense as well

2 - Keep your Valk as light as possible

3 - Clear bracing. I was thinking, if I build mine like WM I may add a clear acrylic rod at a 45 degree between the valk and the base. It stinks to have to do, but it may go a long way. Other bracing ideas could be a small piece of fishing line going from the valk at a 45 degree above the base.

I'm sure you all have many better ideas then I...what do you think?

Finally, as for fixing existing issues...any ideas for WM? My best bet would be to heat the resin and try to bend it back, but I honestly dont know that the paint would survive it. Anyone have a better thought here for WM?

I bought the kit off of someone selling theirs and I can see how sagging could occur at the joint. I considered all four of your points, but I think #2 is one of the most difficult but with the greatest reward. These were my thoughts where it could be applied:

#1: The area in the legs that are covered by the fastpacks.

#2: Some of the area inside of the wing joints: at very least it could be replaced by styrene stock.

#3: The area in between where of the arms where they are side by side.

#4: Carrying RMSs instead of the UMM Boxes.

#5: A general thinning of the model's interior.

I think some areas can be completely replaced by card: The underside of the back boosters, the area behind the engine exhaust, the wingroot interiors, ect. Depending on how proactive one is with my #5 I think you can remove 25~40% of its weight, I'm just uncertain as to whether it would be enough to prevent sagging. This combined with some brass reinforcement on the joint might be sufficient.

This might be my project for the summer.

I bought the kit off of someone selling theirs and I can see how sagging could occur at the joint. I considered all four of your points, but I think #2 is one of the most difficult but with the greatest reward. These were my thoughts where it could be applied:

#1: The area in the legs that are covered by the fastpacks.

#2: Some of the area inside of the wing joints: at very least it could be replaced by styrene stock.

#3: The area in between where of the arms where they are side by side.

#4: Carrying RMSs instead of the UMM Boxes.

#5: A general thinning of the model's interior.

I think some areas can be completely replaced by card: The underside of the back boosters, the area behind the engine exhaust, the wingroot interiors, ect. Depending on how proactive one is with my #5 I think you can remove 25~40% of its weight, I'm just uncertain as to whether it would be enough to prevent sagging. This combined with some brass reinforcement on the joint might be sufficient.

This might be my project for the summer.

I think it's a fantastic idea! If you go after it please consider keeping us in the loop on your progress.