Intro and first macross kit

kindredd

Hey all,

I couldnt find an intro thread so I decided to introduce myself here. Am a malaysian modeller and collector, most sci fi and mecha. Started off with modelling first then slowly the collecting obsession took hold. Main collections include gundams (dozens <_< ), transformers (hundreds :blink: ), zoids (thousands? :wacko: ). Now Macross :rolleyes: . Havent actually modeled in a long time, until I picked up a few macross kits at a friends sale.

Anyways, here my first completed build in almost a year. an almost 20 year old kit from Bandai (original molds from Arii I believe). Surprisingly, the proportions are really nice and solid. No hasegawa but still acceptable quality.

Nothing fancy, mainly out of the box build, quite untidy finish, even in my eyes. Still, its done, putty, paint and all, which is more than I can say for a lot of my other kits....

2275590470101616518S600x600Q85.jpg

2776353530101616518S600x600Q85.jpg

2902231360101616518S600x600Q85.jpg

2366828290101616518S600x600Q85.jpg

I added some weight in the feet to give it a slightly heavier and modded the knees and the elbows to give it a bit more range and mobility....will take pictures in a kneeing position later.

comments are all welcome!

Welcome, and thanks for sharing. I don' t think there's a much better way to do an intro post than to show off some work you've done, thanks for contributing!

I like the kit and I think it came out great, I expecially like the subtle weathering, not overdone, just right IMO. :)

When I see something like that, and know I could never accomplish it - I feel embarassed critiquing anything but...

The one thing that I think is a bit of a sore thumb is the trigger finger not being ...in the trigger :)

don't kick me.

Truly good work!

pete

Thanks for the kind comments guys. It was a really fun build. Am in the middle of several old Bandai kits right now, th 1/72 variable VF-1s, 1/100 destroids tomahawk and missile phalanx. Hope to post those up soon.

On a side note, does anyone know how many of these old Arii kits were/are being reissued by Bandai for the 25th Anniversary? Any chances of seeing a regult, destroid defender,monster being reissued? Where can I find out more?

Thanks for the kind comments guys. It was a really fun build. Am in the middle of several old Bandai kits right now, th 1/72 variable VF-1s, 1/100 destroids tomahawk and missile phalanx. Hope to post those up soon.

On a side note, does anyone know how many of these old Arii kits were/are being reissued by Bandai for the 25th Anniversary? Any chances of seeing a regult, destroid defender,monster being reissued? Where can I find out more?

You can usually find the above mentioned kits in Ebay from time to time. But do expect them to be a bit expensive.

Honkhet,

I am based in KL right now. Would love to catch up, am actually heading to Penang for a holiday this weekend but will probably be busy with the family....lets meet up sometime soon anyways!

cool8or,

I saw some of your earlier work, amazingly clean job. Wish I could be as neat as you. Still too much influence from my Armour modelling days..

Very nice! The original Imai kit had big round super-robot hands, rather than the square hands on your kit. Did you replace the hands? Or does the later Bandai edition have the DYRL-style square hands?

Wave's releasing a Monster kit next year, so even if the Imai/Arii editions don't get a reissue, there'll be a plastic kit for us. :)

Edited by AcroRay

Very nice! The original Imai kit had big round super-robot hands, rather than the square hands on your kit. Did you replace the hands? Or does the later Bandai edition have the DYRL-style square hands?

The left hand appears to be from a MG Gundam or GM... v1.0 or v1.5. Don't know about the right hand...