Skycrawlers.....Anyone seen it?

OK, so I rented this Skycrawlers DVD from Blockbuster this week. It looked good and I want to support a place when they have anime products so.........

It was really terrible :(

The story was soooo slow. Even the people were slow. I mean, when they walk, they walk very slow! :wacko: They are constantly just standing around staring, not saying anything, no emotion on the faces. The movie could have been 30-45 minutes shorter if they just would've cut out some scenes of people just standing completely still or of empty scenery with no characters at all! :mellow: It was so bad that I began fast-forwarding through parts that I could tell had nothing going on.

The plot twist I figured out almost immediately. I don't normally mind this, because I still like to watch the characters react as they figure things out, but these characters don't react!! :blink: Only one that comes in at the end shows any emotion. The others, when faced with a conflict just freeze and stare. The characters even look so similar that sometimes it's hard to tell them apart. Their faces are just bland, then there will be a scene where they look completely off from what they normally look like. I couldn't tell if that was done on purpose or not.

The planes are really cool, but they don't spend enough time in them! I really wanted to see some awesome dogfighting action!! But the flight scenes are mostly quite boring, quick and few and far between. The big battle is pretty cool, but it's definitely not enough. The last battle scene is good too, but by that time you're ready for it, and ready for the movie to end. The scenery and planes were rendered really well. Amazing detail and clarity, while the character animation was dull. I'm sure the characters were styled this way on purpose to create a certain "atmosphere", but I think it stood out too much compared to the backgrounds.

Anyway, that's my $.02. Normally if I don't like a movie I just move on, but I was so disappointed in this one that I had to vent a little and hopefully hear from a few others who saw it. I don't recommend it, but if anyone else saw it I would be interested in your opinions.

If you liked it :blink::wacko::lol::huh::ph34r::unsure: I'm not sure what's wrong with you, but maybe your feelings can shed some light on it for me. Otherwise I'll just lump you into the loony column and leave it at that! :lol: j/k

Heh! Well, I searched for it as one word, not two so I guess that's why it didn't come up for me.

Anyway, I'm glad that many here feel the way I do about it. I've read some other reviews that try to explain the feelings the director is trying to convey, but I can't for the life of me see why anyone would want to watch a movie about those feelings. It's pretty boring.

Well, mods, feel free to close this if you think it's necessary. But I'm still willing to discuss if others want to.

Heh! Well, I searched for it as one word, not two so I guess that's why it didn't come up for me.

Anyway, I'm glad that many here feel the way I do about it. I've read some other reviews that try to explain the feelings the director is trying to convey, but I can't for the life of me see why anyone would want to watch a movie about those feelings. It's pretty boring.

Well, mods, feel free to close this if you think it's necessary. But I'm still willing to discuss if others want to.

Poor and overrated story. The flight scenes are pretty good though. Just forward until the dogfight scenes and skip the rest.

Too many wasted opportunities for fan service. Also a bit dissapointed in Oshii from borrowing too heavily from Yukikaze & Wings of Honneamise, without keeping any of the good bits. Definately a pretty movie, awesome dog fights, just needed a little more "oomph."