Thoughts on the SDFM aftermath episodes

interesting perspective. although i think guld already thought that myung had made a choice already, through sharon. which is why he asked isamu to rescue myung. "she's waiting for you", or something to that effect.

Yeah, I think my original post was a little unclear, but that's what I was referring to. "I love Guld...but I love Isamu even more." I'm not sure Myung knew that herself until she was told.

Yeah, I think my original post was a little unclear, but that's what I was referring to. "I love Guld...but I love Isamu even more." I'm not sure Myung knew that herself until she was told.

Things would have been a lot easier if Sharon Apple was already around circa 2010-2012. Apple:"ok, flyboy, do i really have to spell it out for you?"

it never gets old, does it? ;)

interesting perspective. although i think guld already thought that myung had made a choice already, through sharon. which is why he asked isamu to rescue myung. "she's waiting for you", or something to that effect.

Ah so. We have a difference of interpretation then.

I always thought that Guld's line "she's waiting for you" basically meant: "Well, I love her and I'm going to die protecting her now - so you can have her old pal."

I highly doubt Guld really believed that Myung had chosen Isamu "through Sharon." That - to me - makes no sense. If the woman you loved was being held hostage by a rogue computer program that was sending Ghosts to kill you and making zombies out of people - would you really take at face value the words of this rogue computer program as representing Myung's true feelings?

If anything - We could more definitively say that she choses Guld because she does sleep with him after all - although that might have just been an emotional reaction and attempt to thank him for saving her life some how.

But the point is that even if Sharon does somehow speak for Myung's true emotions - they are her true emotions "at that moment" -nothing more. And Myung's emotions are uncertain. If anything - she had put the past behind her and chosen NEITHER of them - events conspire against her choice and really force her to interact with them again.

But Myung chosing Isamu because Sharon says so? I don't believe it. Why would she? Sharon is just reflecting SOME of her feelings and latching on to them for some reason. Perhaps she's had enough of Guld's heavy handedness in the recent past?

In any case - I don't believe that she made a choice at all. I think she loved both of them.

Guld made the choice: he gave Myung to Isamu and decided to die to keep her safe. He did this amongst other reasons because he surmised that Isamu was a more capable pilot and could rescue her.

Guld couldn't defeat the ghost - he knew it and never planned on being able to defeat it. He planned on buying Isamu the breathing room to maybe rescue Myung.

In any case - that's how I always read it.

Pete

Ah so. We have a difference of interpretation then.

I always thought that Guld's line "she's waiting for you" basically meant: "Well, I love her and I'm going to die protecting her now - so you can have her old pal."

I highly doubt Guld really believed that Myung had chosen Isamu "through Sharon." That - to me - makes no sense. If the woman you loved was being held hostage by a rogue computer program that was sending Ghosts to kill you and making zombies out of people - would you really take at face value the words of this rogue computer program as representing Myung's true feelings?

If anything - We could more definitively say that she choses Guld because she does sleep with him after all - although that might have just been an emotional reaction and attempt to thank him for saving her life some how.

But the point is that even if Sharon does somehow speak for Myung's true emotions - they are her true emotions "at that moment" -nothing more. And Myung's emotions are uncertain. If anything - she had put the past behind her and chosen NEITHER of them - events conspire against her choice and really force her to interact with them again.

But Myung chosing Isamu because Sharon says so? I don't believe it. Why would she? Sharon is just reflecting SOME of her feelings and latching on to them for some reason. Perhaps she's had enough of Guld's heavy handedness in the recent past?

In any case - I don't believe that she made a choice at all. I think she loved both of them.

Guld made the choice: he gave Myung to Isamu and decided to die to keep her safe. He did this amongst other reasons because he surmised that Isamu was a more capable pilot and could rescue her.

Guld couldn't defeat the ghost - he knew it and never planned on being able to defeat it. He planned on buying Isamu the breathing room to maybe rescue Myung.

In any case - that's how I always read it.

Pete

what? guld and myung had sex?? ... kidding. ;)

You're right, it may be stupid of guld to take sharon apple's word for it. but look at it this way. guld just had this startling revelation that he had repressed his memories all this time, and those repressed memories entailed finding myung and isamu as a couple, and assaulting myung. of course, this memory comes with the realization that guld was the real reason why the three of them weren't friends anymore, and that his two friends tried to keep it from him all this time. then add to that another layer of realization that the two (isamu and myung) probably broke of their blossoming relationship because of guld. who could help but suddenly feel like the third wheel?

imagine guld in that state of mind... and then all of a sudden hearing from sharon apple that myung loves isamu even more... well, a guy could just smile and say, "ok bro, you win" without giving up much of a fight.

it's kind of ironic really. you feel that guld would want nothing more than to go to myung, and that isamu would want nothing more than to fight the ghost. but guld wanted to set things right, to that moment before he messed things up. so he went against his instincts and volunteered to fight the ghost, and forced isamu to rescue myung.

I'm not saying that Myung has already made a choice. for all we know, she might have still chosen guld afterwards, because isamu was still an irresponsible jerk, and guld had actually proposed already. but i think that guld felt that isamu and myung should finally have their moment, and that the best way he can show his love for myung is to (1) protect her by defeating the ghost, and (2) let her continue the relationship which he had violently disturbed all those years ago.

Edited by dreamweaver13

what? guld and myung had sex?? ... kidding. ;)

I dono man...but I didn't get the impression that there was any bumping-of-uglies going on there. That's not to say it couldn't have happened, but it's ambiguous at best.

Perhaps I'm just not paying very good attention.

May be I'm just way innocent at heart or something.

I dono man...but I didn't get the impression that there was any bumping-of-uglies going on there. That's not to say it couldn't have happened, but it's ambiguous at best.

Perhaps I'm just not paying very good attention.

May be I'm just way innocent at heart or something.

Hmmm...I think Isamu pretty much called it when he saw Guld looking smug. What was it? "But YOUR ten fingers are okay? Twenty, if you count your toes. Maybe you even got up to twenty-one...?"

those repressed memories entailed finding myung and isamu as a couple,

Again we have a difference of interpretation. I never got the impression Guld found Isamu and Myung "as a couple." Guld found Isamu and Myung making out/hugging/close/in an intimate situation. This is far from suggesting that they were a couple.

In fact, I'd venture so far as to speculate that they WEREN'T a couple. If they were - then Guld wouldn't need to "find" them together. They'd be together all over the place; going to the movies, dancing, on walks - people would know that they were together.

What I think happened is that Guld and Isamu both had feelings for Myung; and she had feelings for them, and she happened to be alone with Isamu and for whatever reason they became intimate - and poof - in walks Guld, who is naturally jealous anyways, but all the more so due to lingering Zentran bio-engineering which makes violence a "natural" course of action for him.

Point? Point is that Guld didn't therefore realize that the two were a "couple" and that Myung loved Isamu "all along." If Myung REALLY loved Isamu - she wouldn't have left to pursue her career. She would have stuck around like that other girl who married that guy and had two kids. And she certainly wouldn't be so determined to "put the past behind her."

Notice how she calls both Isamu and Guld ridiculous at one point and scolds them and tries to make clear that she's not the same person they knew.

This isn't the language of a woman who was with Isamu. It's the language of a woman who couldn't decide between the two of them and in the end, gave up on true love (just like she would later give up on her singing). Myung didn't decide because love was to difficult (just like pursuing her own singing career was too difficult).

Remember - Myung is kind of like a corrupted version of Minmey. She's kind of like what Minmey might have become had she developed Kaifun's approach to singing from the second part of SDFM TV - where it was all about the booze, the prestige and the money - or at the very least the free UN Food rations (since people had no money to speak of).

With the Earth relatively rebuilt and other planets being colonized; the FORMAL civic religion is still culture with song being revered the most. However, in practice, everything is more commercialized (kind of like the Miss Macross contest in MF) and it's harder for someone with a real passion and love for song to actually break through (unless he lives on Macros7).

People sell out to get by or get so attached to luxuries that they forget their dreams.

Myung did this both in her love life and in her professional life.

But both of them came back to haunt her - her unresolved love life in the form of Isamu and Guld returned, and her giving up singing and just how bad a decision that was also returned - all in the form of the messed up jumble of latent emotions of the computer program Sharon - which was kind of like a catharsis for Myung.

In the end, with everything artificial (by which I mean the structural relations of inter-dependency in society; the relations which "cage in" Myung because she has to answer to producers, the market, her peers, fashion, popularity etc etc) destroyed and compelled to either chose song and love or watch Sharon kill Isamu and destroy Earth, Myung rediscovered her young heart and sang her sad love song.

I think it was sung just as much for Guld as it was for Isamu. Again - Guld died because dying comes easy to Zendradi - it's just that this particular Zentran wasn't motivated by the passion of the fight, but rather by the desire to protect the woman he loved.

His "flash back" and realization that he was the aggressive one in the past didn't - IMO - make him think "oh gee, I'm a bad person - I should go die and let this other dude get the girl" It just made him finally find peace and appreciate how much Isamu AND Myung both loved him for hiding that ugly truth from him. Because they probably realized that it wasn't Guld's fault - it was the fault of latent bio-engineering - a kind of demon that all Zentrans had to deal with.

This theme is also not new to Macross. Remember how Hikaru got kicked around by those Zentrans in the town, but when the Destroids were going to fire, he stood in teh line of fire and ordered them not to. That action moved the Zentrans so much that they backed off and left.

I think Isamu and Myung; after the violent incident, did something similar - they didn't report him, they didn't blame him - they just let him be: because that was the sacrifice they had to make to help Guld assimilate into human society.

Pete