Macross Plane-form 3d renderings-- I need yours for a mod for HAWX

RF-26AAC

Hi all!

I've been playing the living hell out of Tom Clancy's HAWX, a new game out for PC and Xbox 360. There have already been several mods incorporating craft from other things-- thus far we've managed to come up with 4-5 scratch aircraft, including the EDI from the movie "STEALTH"... anyways, here's what I'm asking for. There are people on the Ubisoft HAWX forum that would be willing to convert say, a VF-1, YF-19, YF-21 or anything else you've got rendered, as long as it's in .obj format... I know I'm asking a lot here but I'd really appreciate it.

-RF-26AAC

GT: theplecostomus

callsign: NASA

Best to ask Akt_m for his VF-25.

No idea, but the higher res the better, most likely. You can see the thread we've got going here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3...3881006347/p/94

The guy who's willing to do the conversions is Kaisa 226 on page 93.

The B-2 Spirit that someone generated has a really low-res skin so it's kinda ugly to look at ingame.

-RF26AAC

No idea, but the higher res the better, most likely. You can see the thread we've got going here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3...3881006347/p/94

The guy who's willing to do the conversions is Kaisa 226 on page 93.

The B-2 Spirit that someone generated has a really low-res skin so it's kinda ugly to look at ingame.

-RF26AAC

I got a VF-1J sitting around untextured (still) but its low poly. 6600 poly range with everything you see in the picture. Granted its not perfect by all means but its meant to be a game model and not a cgi beauty.

I have an RT/Mospeada Alpha fighter (untextured & low poly format as well) Roughly 1600 polys.

Edited by AncientAngel

I must say, though, I can't stand HAWX. Tom Clancy games should stick to 3PS. You get 2 views, neither are cockpit view (And both suck), the controls don't act like a real plane, and the weapons displays aren't at all like a real plane.

I'll stick to Ace Combat, thank you!

You're doing something wrong, there is 1st person, 3rd person and cockpit views.

I agree the controls don't act like a real plane, but it's still a hoot.

Plus, I'm not sure you can mod ace combat like you can HAWX.

I happened to have a YF-21 with a texture size of 1024 x 1024. I am still not finished with the final look of the texture. Also, do not mind the lovely left wing. I was planning for a future paint for her.

post-5101-1243433859_thumb.jpg

post-5101-1243433863_thumb.jpg

The YF-19, being the first of the two planes modeled, I realized much later that I can further optimize the model and UV map, but she seems okay. Her texture size is 2048 x 2048 which is way too big.

post-5101-1243433868_thumb.jpg

If you think that they are okay for the mod, then by all means, leave me a message. Practice makes perfect~! ^_^;

This statement is the one and only reason to bother with HAWX. While the PC version of the game is buggy as all hell (even after 2 so called "patches"), it's still a PC version, which means you can hack it to shreds and unlock a ton of content that the company is trying to sell as "DLC" to the console owners.

That said, I think the PC community may give this game some decent life, even if only by modding it. The game's system appears pretty simple to alter (even the flight physics appear tweakable last I checked), so it's only a matter of time before people who care about accuracy and realism fix the game.

Depending on how much it can be changed, the game engine might make a solid starting point for building a current gen Macross game, via a total conversion.

*sighs* Every time I think I'm done modding games, a new one comes out that I want to tweak. :lol:

You're doing something wrong, there is 1st person, 3rd person and cockpit views.

Not when I was playing it. Change views let me access Rear View and Side View

I agree the controls don't act like a real plane, but it's still a hoot.

It's not fun if I can't pull a 6G turn...

Why don't you try to mod a console peripheral?

If HAWX didn't bug up, had realistic physics, a realistic weapons lock system, and realistic particle effects, I'd possibly play it. Till then, no dice.

My thought about using Hawx as a starting point is mainly because it's the only current gen flight combat game period that looks to be capable of being modded to anything close to Macross. Seems like lately, the flight game market has pretty much disappeared. It's a dying genre, especially with Microsoft canning it's flight sim team in the past year. Unless someone comes up with some new, very moddable flight sim (not likely), Hawx is about all we have to work with.

In all honesty, it would probably be easier to start a game from scratch, since you could integrate a lot more features from the start. That's what YS Flight has been doing, and it appears to be going well, although I haven't tried it yet myself. If I knew more about programming (already got a bit of background in 6 degree of freedom flight modeling) I'd love to start work on a dedicated Macross sim. Unfortunately, my computer skills are mostly on the graphics side, and without a good game engine to work with, I'm not much help. I can do the flight math, but don't have a clue where to start programming. When you start talking about things like Valks, and how they fly, the math will get very complicated, very fast.

Hawx's game engine is just flat out missing a lot of what a good flight combat game needs, and no amount of modding could fix that, so it'd still be hard to get a decent Macross total conversion working. But oddly enough, one of my biggest gripes about Hawx could become a strength if it was turned into a Macross game.. the game already uses anime physics. <_<

Edited by Chronocidal

Depending on how much it can be changed, the game engine might make a solid starting point for building a current gen Macross game, via a total conversion.

I'm hoping for that. If we can build transformations into the game, it be all set and everyone will be happy!

Well, YSFlight's only 2 gripes with me are graphics and physics. I'm pissed that the graphics look WORSE than the stuff from a 1990s CG film and that the physics are actually worse than in an anime. THERE IS NO WAY TO PULL 67Gs!

A total conversion of HAWX that actually plays well would make me wanna buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I have posted in the Hawx thread about helping out. Seems Mod'ing this game engine is going to be a pain unless you know someone that can do it. I have looked around and at best all I know at this point is the model has to be in .obj format. For the conversion tool, which must be a well kept secret because there is next to no info and or links for mod'ing tools.

Game Communities like this always have me confuzed. They want more aircraft possibilities in-game yet they guard the mod'ing/porting process so dam tightly, that they limit and control what gets put in-game. Even if that is not their intention. I have also seen postings where someone in 3D max was able to get flight control surfaces rigged up for the game. Depending on what that entails, there might be a slim chance to transform into gerwalk mode. If the swing wing animations are tied into players speed you might be able to move a few more parts.

Anyways, I am going to look and see if I can dig up some more information.

I've got some meshes that could be used. But they are low poly and I have yet to find what poly limit they game is using for their models. Here are just a few that need to textured out and finished.

VF1JTexturework.jpg

daedalus2.jpg

Fanjet-1.jpg

If By chance you guys wanted a full blown Mospeada conversion I have more than enough to cover it.

alpha1.jpg

scout1.jpg

ArmoredScout.jpg

Pincer.jpg

rcb.jpg

Also have the Garfish (textured) Ikazuchi and the Izumo meshed out as well but I am not sure how well they will work since they are mainly found in space.

Oh yeah, I have a Horizont meshed out as well. Only missing the Shock Trooper, Trooper and Clam ship on the Invid side, not counting Scout with booster.

Side note I have a TV version of the SDF-1 that has been slowly getting meshed in. Granted it may run over 20K worth in polys thou and again, not shure what the useable poly limit is for the game.

AA You've been holding out again.. :) (kidding!)

Their forums (@ HAWX) are very slotted so everything about modding is in ONE thread (all 95 pages!)

After getting "caught up" I asked some very detailed questions and it turns out this game for PC was a console port like an after thought.

As a game it's ok (I tried teh demo). But they have this stupid this called "off mode" that makes the first mission totally unplayable, and after a keyboard reconfiguration, I finally started to do a decent showing on the second/last mission of the demo.

Turns out they did make some tools (I managed to get planes OUT). But very few things about this game can actually be modded. You can't even add MORE planes, they have to REPLACE existing slots!

I was initially excited about the possibility of adding suface naval or ground tank forces and that is impossible in this game.

I immediately deleted the demo when I found that out.

Pity, we really need something new that is modder friendly that doesn't LIMIT us...

Edited by Star Dragon

Umm, the thread I just read stated you can add in new planes.

I am compiling notes on everything I have found so far about mod'ing this sucker.

The first Mission in the Demo is rough at first. Using a keyboard would be a complete mess thank God I've been using a Joystick. When ever I get into a fur ball with more than 1 Fighter I toggle that sucker off and rip them a new one. Gives you a better perspective on what the other plane is doing and beats the hell out of having your head on a pivot and wondering where did he go?

Anyways, like I have stated earlier I did find the notes on the code and the files that needed to be mod'ed to do it.

Then again, the SS game engine can handle a lot of this very same thing. But I am afraid my time is going to be highly limited soon. Need to find a second job with in the next two weeks.

Here is the bulk of what I found by going threw 60 of those pages sofar.

Warning Wall of Text coming up.

If you are looking for the folder to put modified skins in you have to make it first.

Go to Ubisoft/tom clancys HAWX/data and make a folder called "textures". Inside of this on put a folder called "geoms". Put the modified skins in here.

If you call the modified skin file the same as the original skin file your PC will pick them up instead of the game ones.

PhotoShop Info

hmm, when you open the file in photoshop, do you get a prompt "NVIDIA DDS read properties"? thats what i get whenever i open the dds files, and i just choose the first option "load using default sizes" you can convert to 8 or 16 bit, but i dont use those. when the files open, it should be 1024x1024 image size at 72 DPI, although this might all be different in CS3, i use PS 7.

More Details

This is all in the forums somewhere but I thought i'd repeat it as I have asked all the same questions in the past few days.

To get the original skins you need to open the data2.pak file in the main Hawx folder. Its like a rar file so open it with winrar.

Once in winrar navigate to textures/geoms and extract all these files to a new folder somewhere. If you are asked for a password it is in the private message I sent you. Its easier to unzip all the files at once rather than entering this each time you want to extract a file.

The plane skins you need all end _P01 or _P02 e.g. YF-23_Blackwidow_II_P01.

You can view and edit these skins in Photoshop using the nvidia .dds plugin from http://developer.nvidia.com/ob...hop_dds_plugins.html.

You can also view them using the DXTBMP program from here http://www.mnwright.btinternet.../...rams/dxtbmp.htm.

Shout if you need anymore info - looking forward to seeing some skins :-)

Password: rF4hfGe1PfrzGe3IbaRtWsIn

For the WinRar extraction.

Tools

This might also help anyone out there. Not sure if this has been posted but these are two tools that allow for much easier handling of DDS files.

http://developer.nvidia.com/ob...humbnail_viewer.html

http://developer.nvidia.com/ob..._texture_viewer.html

newest version by Lotsbiss, this tool is all 3 tools built into 1. it also has a chinese and an english version.

http://files.filefront.com/Lot...38268;/fileinfo.html

Gimp

hey guys what kind of compression do the dds files for hawx use? cause when i save a dds files in gimp its like 4 mb

you should save in "8.8.8 24 bit (RGB)", but the files are about 4mb each, so your doing it right.

Custom Afterburners

Here is the link to the afterburners. After you download change name by deleting the (blurred Rings) part. In the data\textures folder create a new folder called Planefx place the file in that folder and you should be good. I say should be because these directions are from memory (no home PC access right now). If you have any problems let me know.

http://rapidshare.com/files/21...rred_rings_.dds.html

New Model Syntax

So how did you get the EDI selectable as an extra plane? I added the B-52 to the defaultplanes.lua and that made it show up in the hanger, except the plane is half sunken and doesnt have its name, also the plane is locked and i'm not sure how to unlock it.

you have to recompile the entities.mdl file as the default_planes.lua references dem_* files.

can you post the entry you used in the default_planes.lua file

{

Name = "B52",

Pack = "MainMenu",

Model = "dem_B-52H_Stratofortress_highpoly_player",

Dat = "Data/Models/plane_playable/menu_B-52H_Stratofortress_highpoly.dat",

Skin2 = 0,

Country = 0,

Level = 0,

Speed = 1,

Maneuverability = 1,

Resistance = 10,

AARating = 1,

AGRating = 10,

Role = 2,

Stealth = 0,

Carrier = 0,

EW = 0,

SuperCannon = 0,

Drift = 0,

StallRecovery = 1,

Stability = 2,

Avionics = 2,

WeaponCharge = 2,

SPPacks = {

{"wpm_BM-FFB-FL",160,90,0,7},

{"wpm_BM-RG-FL",160,35,0,7},

{"wpm_BM-AGM-FL",160,52,0,7},

},

MPPacks = {

{"wpm_BM-FFB-FL_mp",50,50,0,4},

{"wpm_BM-RG-FL_mp",50,14,0,3},

{"wpm_BM-AGM-FL_mp",50,40,0,4},

{"wpm_BM-EW-FL_mp",50,1,0,8},

},

Pic = {"Data\\Textures\\Menus2\\PlaneIcons.dds",0.5,0,0.6,0.125}

},

More Adding New Planes into the Hanger

*Note, adding another plane into HAWX will probably screw up your Profile, so do a backup or if like me you don't really care about the XP/Ranking just carry on (challenges aren't affected)

Required

======

http://www.mediafire.com/?jnyg5mnomuj

http://www.mediafire.com/?4nymjjjgzmy

7-Zip or some other Zip tool

rF4hfGe1PfrzGe3IbaRtWsIn (password for pak files)

Microsoft .Net 3.5 for the toolkit

I will use Impala_88 EDI Mod as the basis for the guide. http://files.filefront.com/EDI+UCAV+hawx+M...;/fileinfo.html

The latest Mod already includes the plane, this is how I got it in the game

?Why is it called dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_player

to save time when hex editing

open up plane2skins.lua and add the following lines in (add them into the function)

CODE

isPlaneWithTwoSkinsName()

if id == "dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_player" then

return true

end

end

CODE

function isNewModdedPlane ( plane )

if plane == "dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_player" then

return true

end

end

CODE

function getNewModdedPlaneCaption ( plane )

return "EDI Stealth"

end

end

CODE

function isExtraPlayablePlane( plane )

return true

end

if plane == "dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_skin2_player" then

return true

end

end

getNewModdedPlaneCaption, this sets the name to display for the plane in the hangar

This makes the EDI Stealth unlocked, displays EDI Stealth in the hangar and allows the plane to use 2 skins

open up default_planes.lua

add the following to the end of the file

CODE

{

Name = "EDI",

Pack = "MainMenu",

Model = "dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_player",

Dat = "Data/Models/plane_playable/menu_Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon.dat",

Skin2 = 1,

Skin2Model="dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_skin2_player",

Skin2Dat="Data/models/plane_playable/menu_skin2_Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon.dat",

Country = 2,

Level = 0,

Speed = 5,

Maneuverability = 9,

Resistance = 6,

AARating = 9,

AGRating = 7,

Role = 3,

Stealth = 0,

Carrier = 0,

EW = 0,

SuperCannon = 0,

Drift = 1,

StallRecovery = 1,

Stability = 1,

Avionics = 3,

WeaponCharge = 1,

SPPacks = {

{"wpm_BM-MM-FL",140,40,0,5},

{"wpm_BM-MM-FFB-FL",140,20,60,5},

{"wpm_BM-AM-RL-FL",140,50,140,5},

},

MPPacks = {

{"wpm_BM-MM-FL_mp",40,20,0,3},

{"wpm_BM-MM-FFB-FL_mp",40,16,20,3},

{"wpm_BM-AM-RL-FL_mp",40,10,60,3},

},

Pic = {"Data\\Textures\\Menus2\\PlaneIcons.dds",0.7,0.5,0.8,0.625}

},

Go to where you extracted the EDI Stealth Model

data\models\plane_playable

CODE

Eurofighter-2000_Typhoon.dat rename to Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon.dat

menu_Eurofighter-2000_Typhoon.dat rename to menu_Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon.dat

copy Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon.dat to skin2_Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon.dat

copy menu_Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon.dat to menu_skin2_Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon.dat

data\textures\geom

CODE

Eurofighter-2000_Typhoon_N.dds rename to Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon_N.dds

Eurofighter-2000_Typhoon_P01.dds rename to Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon_P01.dds

Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon_P01.dds copy to Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon_P02.dds

Eurofighter-2000_Typhoon_S.dds rename to Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon_S.dds

open up Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon.dat in xvi32 Hex Edtior

replace EuroFighter-2000_Typhoon_<xx>.dds with EuroFighter-200Z_Typhoon_<xx>.dds (4 occurences)

open up menu_Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon.dat in xvi32 Hex Edtior

replace EuroFighter-2000_Typhoon_<xx>.dds with EuroFighter-200Z_Typhoon_<xx>.dds (4 occurences)

open up skin2_Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon.dat in xvi32 Hex Edtior

replace EuroFighter-2000_Typhoon_<xx> with EuroFighter-200Z_Typhoon_<xx> (4 occurences)

open up menu_skin2_Eurofighter-200Z_Typhoon.dat in xvi32 Hex Edtior

replace EuroFighter-2000_Typhoon_<xx> with EuroFighter-200Z_Typhoon_<xx> (4 occurences)

<xx>; Value are P01, _N or _S

Go to 'entities_recompiler\tests\unknown'

CODE

dem_Eurofighter_Typhoon_player.bin copy to dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_player.bin

dem_Eurofighter_Typhoon_player_Expert.bin copy to dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_player_Expert.bin

dem_Eurofighter_Typhoon_skin2_player.bin copy to dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_skin2_player.bin

dem_Eurofighter_Typhoon_skin2_player_Expert.bin copy to dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_skin2_player_Expert.bin

open up dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_player.bin in xvi32 Hex Edtior

replace EuroFighter-2000 with EuroFighter-200Z (1 occurence)

open up dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_player_Expert.bin in xvi32 Hex Edtior

open up dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_skin2_player.bin in xvi32 Hex Edtior

open up dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_skin2_player_Expert.bin in xvi32 Hex Edtior

open up entities_ordered.txt

add the following to the bottom of the file

CODE

dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_player

dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_skin2_player

dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_player_Expert

dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_skin2_player_Expert

open up entities_unknown3.txt

add the following to the bottom of the file

CODE

dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_player.bin,814

dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_skin2_player.bin,826

dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_player_Expert.bin,834

dem_EurofighteZ_Typhoon_skin2_player_Expert.bin,846

run 'Entities Recompiler.exe', this will output entities_mod.mdl .. rename this to entities.mdl and drop into data\missions\common folder

go to the extracted \inicache\data\scripts folder

CODE

eurofighter-2000_typhoon.ini copy to eurofighter-200Z_typhoon.ini

menu_eurofighter-2000_typhoon.ini copy to menu_eurofighter-200Z_typhoon.ini

eurofighter-200Z_typhoon.ini copy to skin2_eurofighter-200Z_typhoon.ini

menu_eurofighter-200Z_typhoon.ini copy to menu_skin2_eurofighter-200Z_typhoon.ini

go to the inicache folder, select all files and folders ( config, data, config.ini, test.ini )

create a Zip file, password for the file is rF4hfGe1PfrzGe3IbaRtWsIn, call it DataInis.pak

That's about it....

Textures go in

data\textures\geom

Models go in

data\models\plane_playable

Scripts go in

data\menus2\

Entities.mdl goes in

data\mission\common\

DataInis.pak goes in main Hawx Program Folder

Meh, I really don't care at this point...

Not arguing, but if you go to page 95, mine is the very first post on the page, and the two people that responded to my numerous questions contradict what they later told YOU. And no one publicly corrected them in the thread.

That info you just posted was NOT in the thread between my post and yours... So did they PM'ed you privately?

What kind of two faced crap is that? Not referring to you at all of course, I mean THEM. (this would not happen on many of the forums I am a member of, as we police our own, especially on false or unintentionally false information.)

(I did skip about 20 pages I'll admit. Probably in the range that you read, but still...)

Sounds like a community I don't even want to try to take part in now...

Seriously, good luck with your efforts there AA! :) You know your fans support you no matter what directions you explore.

(Deletes link) - after I ask for permission for the two planes that caught my eye via PM.

They would look good in Zero Hour or C&C3... I'm trying to sit down and force myself to learn how to mod those damn games...

Edited by Star Dragon

Star Dragon: I found the information buried in the thread with no rhyme or reason to it. You literally had to read each post to catch on to what was going on. Organization would be extremely help full over there. By no means did anyone PM me with this information, I found it all scattered to the wind in that thread and that huge section I posted at the end with "code" every where was linked to from the forums.

Sakura Shinguji: Thanks for the kind words on the VF-1.

As for me pulling another Solo project, for get it. Been there done that for the past 6 plus years. Besides the amount of forth coming information from the HAWX engine is extremely lacking. Well, not that you can't find it but it does seem if you are not in the "in" crowd. You might as well stay seated in the bleachers type attitude does not sit very well with me.

Side thought, 18K poly fighters would look great, luckily enough I have none over 4K.

On doing some Macross research, I started getting sucked into these links to other fighter simm. Same pattern:

Some displays an outstanding WIP that gets people excited

Then disappears and that work is lost

Usually means jumping through complicated loops to lean a new system and proprietary format...

On other news, at least the last batch of models Shadow and friends allowed me to have DID convert and don't crash, just need to map them now and resize, :) My dream of making my own M7 version video is getting closer! Heh...

"It's a New Frontier!" - From Fukiyama Fire, a tribute to Nekki Basara (Version)

Edited by Star Dragon

To be completely honest. I am surprised there has not been a Freelancer mod for Macross.

Mod the living hell out of it and you would have a good start for a basis of a game. Granted transformation modes are next to none unless you can secure a programmer to twist the code. Again, not a Grand game engine but it is a small step in the right direction.

Trust me, if I could I would. But I never got into it, plus that community really seemed turned off by both a MC or RT mod. After a short tiem there I found nothing to keep my interest...

At least with FS2 I can do a 5 min conversion and immediately see it in game.

Like so:

Thanks again to Shadow and Team, Uragas and NorthHamptons work fine. Just need the finished versions so I can make required custom glow ans shine maps... :)

[Edit: Ignore the weapon, it is on repeatign beam form but is actually a Gundam primary turret shot, NOT a beam, I was just image testing it as a beam - like I do most weapons...)

m7testnh.jpg

Edited by Star Dragon

No more... That policy changed about 4 months ago.

"Good old Games" has the rights to sell it now, and they charge $6.00 for a direct DL

Because we do not support piracy all DL links to any NON scp work, has been deleted.

Only standalones work without retail FS2 installs: Wing Commander, B5, and the BTRL Total Conversions.

Everything else needs the retail data you can only buy now.

You have eyepoint HUD, cockpit view (If the model has one like most HTL user made or SCP ones now do), and the 3rd person outside cam (that you can zoom in out, and move around). So I guess that would be the "Chase" cam.

The retail fighters do not have the cockpit view. They are slowly being replced with SCP media VP versions that are much more detailed on the ourtside as well. Like by a factor of 4-5...

Edited by Star Dragon