Bandai Destroid Phallanx

destroid

The missile launch effect looks great, congratulations!

Did you participate in a contest?

Yeah - IPMA contest at Wollongong in Australia and also at Scale ACT in Canberra Australia.

Thanks for looking.

Usually I don't like these sort of missile effects, but here its done very, very well. I think the angles you've used lends the believability. Nicely done!

Couldn't agree more. They usually look cheesy, but this is really nicely done. Great job destroid. And you're a local! Nice.

Nice work man. If I am right there was no plastic Phalanx other than the 1/100 scale right? (I only ask as I almost enquired as to the scale - duh!)

Yep Berttt,

Its the 1:100 bandai kit...

Awesome cool custom, destroid! How exactly do you make that smoke trail for the missle? I'm looking to make Tomahawk and Phalanx since I made my 1/100s Defender and Spartan (which look toit in front of Koenig Monster) about 14 years ago. Gotta have the whole destroid posse. :D

Awesome cool custom, destroid! How exactly do you make that smoke trail for the missle? I'm looking to make Tomahawk and Phalanx since I made my 1/100s Defender and Spartan (which look toit in front of Koenig Monster) about 14 years ago. Gotta have the whole destroid posse. :D

Hi Mechatek,

The smoke trail was made using polyester filling material (the stuff used to "stuff" cushions etc) you tease out an amount that you need and form it onto a length of flexable wire. You then cut to length and bend to shape desired.

The real trick is in the painting, this is the make it or break it part. I started by airbrushing the yellow and orange, yellow near the missile end and orange at the other end. Then you need to add white at the tip that goes into the missile and red then black at the end that goes into the destroid.

You will need to use well diluted paint 90% thinner and just build up the effect on the smoke material gradually.... it is possible to adjust the angel of the airbrush to the work so that just the high spots are painted..

Its fun to play around with the effects that you can get in this way.

After you have your painted smoke trail, you need to have one of the moulded missiles drilled out from the inside of the missile pod arm and a missile tube scratchbuilt inside. Its just a matter of mounting the smoke trail in the missile tube and then in a hole drilled in the end of the missile (I used a spare missile from a Valk that I had laying around).

The flexible wire allows you to adjust the missile and smoke trail shape after you have them all mounted up.

Hope that helps.

Nice job on the missle effect. Btw is that a Baneblade in the background?

Hi Bri,

Yes it looks like a baneblade in the background....

The pics were taken at the NSW scale model expo 2008 - the baneblade is another contestants model.

Thanks for looking.