Panel lines on the yamatos

lanis

Does anyone ink in the panel lines on their yamatos? I'm debating whether it would make it look too "busy".

Do you mean "ink in" as a general term for just panel lining or do you specifically mean doing panel lining with a pen?

I panel line all my valks, but I tend to experiment a bit on each valk I get. However, I do find I prefer the results of using a mixture of thinner and enamel paint rather than using a pen type thing like gundam markers. But it really depends on how you apply it and how heavy you make the panel lines. These days I tend to use a mixture of both, though I get really lazy sometimes and just use the gundam marker and say good enough as it is less hassle for me than using paints.

Two items I used nothing but thinned paint on were these. As I said, I like the result of the paint the best:

post-10222-1238038712_thumb.jpgpost-10222-1238038744_thumb.jpg

I decided to try a black fine tip gundam marker on this next one, but it didn't turn out too well as the contrast was too much and the lines felt too thick:

post-10222-1238038723_thumb.jpg

On one of my 19's, I tried again using a gray fine tip and black in certain parts and tried fading the ink by rubbing it down with my fingers until I got the desired result. Some areas needed more than one pass with the marker and rubbing to get what I wanted. I think I like the way it turned out:

post-10222-1238038734_thumb.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

My main worry is about how the panel lines that go through the un spacy emblem on the side of the nose would look. I could leave them out but then it would look half assed.

If you really wanted to, you could just make sure the emblem is pressed into any panel lines (using your fingernail or the non-cutting side of a knife) that it is going over and then go over the sticker carefully with the lining. You would probably need custom stickers as the old yamato stickers are just too thick. The ones that come with the V2 1/60 VF-1 and destroids are probably thin enough.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Hi, maybe I could share some of my experience with panel lines on a 1/60 or 1/48 scale Yammy.

I had tried the normal Gundam Marker GM01 and it does not suit my taste. The lines are too bold and dark.

So I tried another one which works with Yamato tiny little panel lines. It's Gundam Maker GM21.

post-3479-1238343372_thumb.jpg

GM21 has a soft brush tip like a white board marker and produce just sufficient amount of ink to go into Yamato's Panel lines. You can wipe it off easily and simple to use. The results are .... well, check it out on my VF1J. No thick bold lines. Very nice and neat. Oh, if you put some weathering on it.. it will look even more awesome.. ;)

vf1J.jpg

Cheers

ikhii

Edited by ikhii