Bandai 1/8000 Storm Attacker conversion?

Tancist

Hello everyone from snowy Russia! )

I've read forum about a 5 month, but this is my first post here.

Two days ago I've get my parcel from HLJ with a bit of Macross kits. One of them was Bandai 1/8000 SDF-1 Storm Attacker. I have an idea convert it to usual cruiser mod.

I've make some screenshots from DYRL (there too bad animation of this moment is TV), but I still can't understand, what's happening with it's bridge, and how it get so big and high in attacker mod.

Maybe someone already make this conversion? Any guides/photos?

post-9246-1234211404_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234211487_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234211498_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234211509_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234211523_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234211543_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234211558_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234211569_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234211639_thumb.jpg

Not to sound racist, but I gotta say this one:

In Soviet Russia, 1/8000 Storm Attacker Macross Mods YOU!! :p

Welcome to Macross World!

So, basically, you want to make an attacker Macross into a cruiser? Shouldn't be too hard. If you can get some scans of the instructions or a picture of the model, I can show you how it works.

I wouldn't recommend it. The proportions are changed on the models depending on which mode it is in. I think that the shoulder cannon booms will not fit correctly if you try to move them to the front cruiser mode position. The central torso part will probably also be hard to convert.

I don't think it would be impossible, just very difficult. In my opinion, you would get a better value by buying a kit that is designed in the cruiser mode.

In Soviet Russia, 1/8000 Storm Attacker Macross Mods YOU!! :p

Welcome to Macross World!

271.gif

So, basically, you want to make an attacker Macross into a cruiser? Shouldn't be too hard. If you can get some scans of the instructions or a picture of the model, I can show you how it works.

Here's the sprues in attachments and instruction. I don't understand, what's with bridge, how it's transform, and what's happening with Main Gun shoulders.

post-9246-1234254333_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234254347_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234254361_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234254457_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234254465_thumb.jpg

Welcome Tancist! You're problem is that the SDF-1 has several parts that rotate. This is the "Do You Remember Love" model, but the same idea:

Don't drink Vodka and watch it at the same time :lol:

I believe the center section with bridge folds over too in the animation. Get the beginning of the TV series for Macross (or Robotech) and watch the FIRST episode. It shows the gun rotation clearly. You will have to build some parts with styrene or epoxy-putty around the gun area most likely. Hope that helps. - MT

Tancist this should be a great project. The animation clips shows it all except the Torse folding 90 degress. The Torso (part 9 and 10) will need to be modified.

The bridge should also be on the starboard side of the ship and smaller. The TV anime shows the movement and parts of the bridge if I remember the head is formed by the bridge and some other part that moves in from the port side.

post-3784-1234275563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fly4victory

Part 38 contains the base of the bridge and the left of the parting line on part 38 is where it should divide.

Fly4Victory's diagram/picture is perfect of how the bridge folds to come up on top.

What will be the legs, the knee, upper portion of the leg's will need to be extended as well.

This will be a tough project with as small as that kit is.

Either way, post your progress. I would love to see how you complete it.

I watched T-formation moment in old Macross and now understand how it works. Legs just attached straight to the main cannon's shoulders, and main body turn on 180 degree around it's own centre!

Macross from TV is a little longer and flat than the DYRL version. That's funny.

All main torso doesn't connected with legs in normal configuration. Just with little point, which I marked red, and around this point it is deploying. So, the legs holes in kit should be in front of Macross, and must be closed.

I print picture in similar scale, and use a paper adhesive tape for rude fitting. The main cannon is shorter, than it should be, and it also should be cut and reassembled in necessary position.

I hope, you'll understand all from my engrish ))

post-9246-1234346057_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234346073_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234346108_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1234346180_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you've got it! Those parts actually look much better than I thought they would. You'll still have some work to do, but you are off to a good start.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, that's me again with news!

A bit of usual model work here - I use my unfailing scriber (engraver of panel lines, sorry, don't know how will be correctly) to cut Main Cannon to bunch of pieces, and re-glued them in necessary position. But they are too short, so I use extruded plastic to make them longer and a little wider.

I cut bridge's up from main body, and make main bridge with plastic and tamiya's putty. Main body was elongated with epoxy putty.

Legs was glued straight to "arm's connectors" back. But, they still can be curved, if need, it's funny.

I reverse arms with Daedalus and airship-carrier onto 180 degree and cover holes with plastic.

post-9246-1235254458_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1235254468_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1235254480_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1235254498_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1235254507_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1235254522_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1235254596_thumb.jpg

Looking good! I didn't think that kit would come even halfway close to looking right in that mode. I think there might be a bit of proportion problem between the "arms" length and "legs" lengths. It looks to me that the bicep area of the arms may be a bit too long.

All in all it is looking surprisingly good and you are doing some great work on it! Keep it up!

Looking good! I didn't think that kit would come even halfway close to looking right in that mode. I think there might be a bit of proportion problem between the "arms" length and "legs" lengths. It looks to me that the bicep area of the arms may be a bit too long.

All in all it is looking surprisingly good and you are doing some great work on it! Keep it up!

It' all the magic power of rasp file )

Yep, biceps little longer then they should be, but I just try to save their maneuver ability. And there is 3-4 different schemes of SDF-1, vary in dimensions of Daedalus and Prometheus. So, it's seems not a big trouble.

The main problem now is width of main cannon, so I forced to use a lot of plastic to make it wider.

I have try to finish this model before 22 february, but don't have enough time. So next photos will be with primered model, and then I will think about it's stand.

And they said it couldn't be done!! Awesome custom so far!! B))

I would have FLAT OUT said it couldn't be done. I have my 1/5000 Arii and Imai kits of both modes on my desk now for reference and they're incredibly different.

I'm really impressed!

I used to have a 1/8000 SDF-1, but its long gone, I do have my 1/5000 version in Battle Fortress mode. Are the Fortress & Ship versions that much different?

Er, yeah, "they're incredibly different". :)

The Storm Attacker/Construction mode (construction???! WTF?) kit has fat, stubby legs with curved sides. Both ship/arms are about 30% or more shortened and stubby-ized. The detailing overall is much cruder. The central hull is a blocky, chunky lump. The guns are thinner.

I've never laid eyes on the 1/8000 though, perhaps it isn't quite as mutated!

Er, yeah, "they're incredibly different". :)

The Storm Attacker/Construction mode (construction???! WTF?) kit has fat, stubby legs with curved sides. Both ship/arms are about 30% or more shortened and stubby-ized. The detailing overall is much cruder. The central hull is a blocky, chunky lump. The guns are thinner.

I've never laid eyes on the 1/8000 though, perhaps it isn't quite as mutated!

I like the 1/5000 for sheer size, However I always thought the 1/8000 had greater accuracy and detail. especially in the joints and arms. Much smaller, a bit harder to paint, but a good kit. (Arms on the 1/5000 are a joke, I spent days reworking them so they were poseable)

I can see why Tancist chose the 1/8000 for his custom project here. you can still find them fairly inexpensive, good kit!! B))

I like the 1/5000 for sheer size, However I always thought the 1/8000 had greater accuracy and detail. especially in the joints and arms. Much smaller, a bit harder to paint, but a good kit. (Arms on the 1/5000 are a joke, I spent days reworking them so they were poseable)

I can see why Tancist chose the 1/8000 for his custom project here. you can still find them fairly inexpensive, good kit!! B))

You consider a 1/5000 kit to posess the quality of "sheer size"?? :blink::lol:

Whoops, I think I wrote that wrong (puts down shot glass of Jack). The 1/5000 is small in size and 1/8000 is far smaller. But between the 2 kits, I'll take the biggest one there is. :p

What sucks is even the newest SDF-1 from WAVE is only 1/5000. :rolleyes:

Whoops, I think I wrote that wrong (puts down shot glass of Jack). The 1/5000 is small in size and 1/8000 is far smaller. But between the 2 kits, I'll take the biggest one there is. :p

What sucks is even the newest SDF-1 from WAVE is only 1/5000. :rolleyes:

Amen. My eyes bugged out when that was released. "but...but...but...we've already GOT the BETTER version in that scale!!!" :mellow:

• 2 months later...

Macross Hasshin!

A couple of new fotos.

1. Sanding of main cannon and it's shoulders - finally finished.

2. Macross gets his guns! Silver - only like "cheap version" of mr. Surfacer, helps to find unpolished places :)

3. It looks like Macross and ready for paint!

post-9246-1243634099_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1243634141_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1243634211_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1243634256_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1243634285_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1243634373_thumb.jpg

post-9246-1243634378_thumb.jpg