SDF MACROSS on blu-ray

Sdf Prime

A retelling? Use the designs from Mikimotos Macross the First manga, story boards and dialog from original SDF Macross, animation team from Frontier (and maybe some Sunrise or Bones buddies from Kawamori) and voila. Only annoying thing is that HG has the copyright on the name Macross otherwise it could even be distributed worldwide without Tatsunoko or HG, not to mention all the derivative Yamato or Bandai VFs.

Hmm SDF MacBeth? nah :p

While everyone raises good points regarding a remake/remodel, for me, the biggest drawback is that the VAs for Hikaru and Kaifun are dead, and Mari Iijima lives in L.A. Considering that they almost didn't get Yuko Miyamura to do Evangelion 2.0 because she doesn't live in Tokyo anymore, I doubt they'd be willing to fly Mari out from halfway across the world, even if she were willing to do the role, which is a big if.

As such, different Minmay + different Hikaru = not Macross (to me, at least).

And, as Mr. march pointed out, there's creators' sensibilities to consider. Look at Gundam Evolve Episode 5 (written by Tomino), which gives Quess a happy ending with Hathaway. Or the third Zeta Gundam movie, which likewise ends in a more upbeat way than the series did.

And as Bri hinted at, Kawamori wasn't even one of the main (credited) writers of the series. Matsuzaki was the script supervisor and probably had the most say in the matter of writing the story. Ishiguro was the official director (although I've always had the feeling that he really let the young'uns take control), and probably had the most say. Tomita wrote the majority of the episodes (including most of the ones everybody loves the most. Of course, he also wrote Macross II...can't win 'em all, I guess). Since then, Kawamori has positioned himself as "Mr. Macross," but I think that's more hype than reality as far as SDFM is concerned. It was clearly a strong group effort.

Why would they do that?

Does HG gets pissed everytime someone mentions something Macross related?

But honestly I won't mind a Blu-Ray transfer, but it'll never see the light of day here in NA. So it doesn't really matter..

If it's Blu-ray then you're damn right it won't matter...so long as it's released in Japan (and comes with subtitles). ^_^ Thank goodness the States and Japan are in the same region! :D

While everyone raises good points regarding a remake/remodel, for me, the biggest drawback is that the VAs for Hikaru and Kaifun are dead, and Mari Iijima lives in L.A. Considering that they almost didn't get Yuko Miyamura to do Evangelion 2.0 because she doesn't live in Tokyo anymore, I doubt they'd be willing to fly Mari out from halfway across the world, even if she were willing to do the role, which is a big if.

As such, different Minmay + different Hikaru = not Macross (to me, at least).

And, as Mr. march pointed out, there's creators' sensibilities to consider. Look at Gundam Evolve Episode 5 (written by Tomino), which gives Quess a happy ending with Hathaway. Or the third Zeta Gundam movie, which likewise ends in a more upbeat way than the series did.

And as Bri hinted at, Kawamori wasn't even one of the main (credited) writers of the series. Matsuzaki was the script supervisor and probably had the most say in the matter of writing the story. Ishiguro was the official director (although I've always had the feeling that he really let the young'uns take control), and probably had the most say. Tomita wrote the majority of the episodes (including most of the ones everybody loves the most. Of course, he also wrote Macross II...can't win 'em all, I guess). Since then, Kawamori has positioned himself as "Mr. Macross," but I think that's more hype than reality as far as SDFM is concerned. It was clearly a strong group effort.

I'd love it if they brought back Mikimoto, Kawamori (of course), and Miyatake to re-animate the show DYRL? style...so long as the audio was kept intact. That would be a dream come true for me.

Edited by Oihan

Haha. Even if I am set up for disappointment, it's not like I still don't have the original to watch. Besides, who would complain with DYRL? stylized animation? ...And it's not so much that the animation is "crappy" it's just that it is a bit outdated. I think the show being re-animated, while keeping the audio intact and bringing back those three I listed would do the show some justice...and it'd cause me to wet my pants...but that's probably too much information and more than you wanted to know. ^_^

Haha. Even if I am set up for disappointment, it's not like I still don't have the original to watch. Besides, who would complain with DYRL? stylized animation? ...And it's not so much that the animation is "crappy" it's just that it is a bit outdated. I think the show being re-animated, while keeping the audio intact and bringing back those three I listed would do the show some justice...and it'd cause me to wet my pants...but that's probably too much information and more than you wanted to know. ^_^

I think one of the problems is that the audio is dated, too...a lot of the slang the characters use is very '80s, and I believe they talk about Minmay's "LPs" in the series (or is it ust in Miss DJ...?).

I think Macross the First is the closest we'll ever get to a reanimated version...and most of the dialogue comes from the TV script anyway, so it's sort of like having the original audio...

I think one of the problems is that the audio is dated, too...a lot of the slang the characters use is very '80s, and I believe they talk about Minmay's "LPs" in the series (or is it ust in Miss DJ...?).

Don't forget when the bridge bunnies took the spies to the disco!

I think the idea of redoing the series to actually, y'know, fit with the current continuity is a fine one, kinda a pipe dream but fun to think about.

The series can likely be condensed into fewer episodes, especially if you kill the constant flashbacks (of which there has to be at least two full episodes worth, or it seems that way.) At 26 or so episodes it'd be a lot more marketable.

I'd probably

1. Get the Macross off Earth in 1, maybe 2 episodes.

2. Cut "Longest Birthday", (the Kamujin/Hikaru fight can be moved.)

3. Combine "Blind Game" -> "Big escape" into 2 episodes. (This would also be a good place to introduce the "Ai Oboeteimasuka" recording, mayhap in an area that "Misa and Hikaru" find during the escape.)

4. Cut Global report and Phantasm.

5. Begin actual Max/Milia interactions around the time of Micro Cosmos. (Meet in line for the movie, or something. You could play it up that Miria, while having no clue how to interact with Max, completely dismisses him as a possible candidate for the ace who beat her.)

6. Combine Love Concert and Dropout (Ai Oboeteimasuka premieres).

7. More Max/Miria interaction in Good-bye girl.

8. Virgin Road -> Messenger into 1 ep. (instead of fighting, the wedding is interrupted by the ship)

9. Combine My Album and Lonely Song into 1 ep, focus on Kamujin and Misa Hikaru.

10. Cut Viva Maria. Cool ep, but doesn't add a ton to the overall story.

11. Combine Satan's Dolls and Broken Heart.

12. Cut Rainy Night (yeah, I know, but the Roy/Claudia backstory while awesome, is more expendable than most of the other stuff. Move the key interactions between Misa and Hikaru to previous/later episodes.")

13. Final eps stay the same.

So yeah, pretty major condensing of everything, though looking at it, you could really do it even more. As is this would give us 24 -25 episodes. In a 26 episode series, I'd probably return Messenger, and after that, I dunno I'm torn between Viva Maria and rainy night, tough choice.

Just typed this up for like an hour, and am now kinda wondering why, but yeah, if I was kawamori for a series, that's what I'd do.

I think Macross the First is the closest we'll ever get to a reanimated version...and most of the dialogue comes from the TV script anyway, so it's sort of like having the original audio...

To be fair, vinyl is experiencing a resurgence of late. Maybe it's just really popular on South Alteria island. ^_^

On a side note, Miyamura almost didn't come back? That would've killed 2.0 for me.

I wouldn't mind a sprucing up of some of the more atrocious Anime Fiend scenes, provided it was done in matching quality. I believe they did something similar that to LoGH. Though we already have our complete redo anyway, so I don't really see the need for it.

To be fair, vinyl is experiencing a resurgence of late. Maybe it's just really popular on South Alteria island. ^_^

On a side note, Miyamura almost didn't come back? That would've killed 2.0 for me.

I wouldn't mind a sprucing up of some of the more atrocious Anime Fiend scenes, provided it was done in matching quality. I believe they did something similar that to LoGH. Though we already have our complete redo anyway, so I don't really see the need for it.

"Dreaming Prelude: My Fair Minmay" has a footnote that explains why vinyl records are the exclusive audio medium on the Macross, but I haven't translated that section yet, so I don't know why yet (I'll get to it eventually).

Really, if they were ever going to redo any sections of the episodes, I think the mid-to-late '80s would have been the perfect time. Studio Nue should've had some more money in their pocket thanks to DYRL, and animation technology hadn't progressed much, so making the new scenes fit in with the rest of the show would've been easier to do.

Again, as Azrael said, no one wants "SDF Macross: A New Translation."

And yeah, for Eva, they almost didn't spring for Miyamura to come out from wherever she lives (I've heard that she's also got some health issues, but nothing major, and I don't know the details). But yeah, I think that would have killed it for A LOT of people (myself perhaps more than most...Asuka's my favorite character, and as far as I'm concerned, Asuka IS Miyamura). But thankfully, they finally decided to they needed her.

Hell, the sale of hundreds of 1/6 scale Asuka figures ALONE should've been able to pay for her airfare and hotel costs...

Really, if they were ever going to redo any sections of the episodes, I think the mid-to-late '80s would have been the perfect time. Studio Nue should've had some more money in their pocket thanks to DYRL, and animation technology hadn't progressed much, so making the new scenes fit in with the rest of the show would've been easier to do.

That and the original talent was still available, and of the same mindset they were when they made the original.

I think I found the biggest contrast between classic Macross and modern Macross.

Global and company have a collective forehead slap when they find out the Zentradi BELIEVED that kung-fu movie about people shooting magic energy from their hands and whipping giants with it. It was just so absurd that no one should have been taking it seriously. This is the real made-up world, and things like that just don't happen.

Fast-forward to the present and hey, we have magic song energy!

Not so much in Frontier, but ...