New Astroboy film - October 2009

taksraven

I enjoyed the movie but the pacing is off from after the first 20 minutes of the movie. They go from a slow and steady story and character build up to a light speed fast forward to every event that they felt they needed to hit. It didn't allow you to connect with the characters and the characters don't go through any of the typical emotional stages you'd expect, and when they do, it fast forwards through it like it doesn't matter (especially in Tenma's case). You always felt like the characters were pulling emotional 180's and you couldn't figure out why. As far as the action, it was pretty well done, the dialogue was good during witty parts but the general dilaogue was very elementary (catered to its audience) and kind of put a damper on the film. That's not to say the film is bad, i enjoyed watching it with my son, the only parts that made me cringe were the parts with Dr Tenma and that has to do with Nicolas Cage's horrible voice acting, his voice is so very distracting and through every scene feels completely out of place. As long as you imagine a different voice in your head while Nic Cage talks, it's easily something you can enjoy watching with your kids, you'll probably enjoy it a lot less watching it by yourself.

the only parts that made me cringe were the parts with Dr Tenma and that has to do with Nicolas Cage's horrible voice acting, his voice is so very distracting and through every scene feels completely out of place.

A thousand times, this.

I saw the movie last Friday and generally enjoyed it, but Cage's voice acting was ear-bleedingly awful. Every time he spoke, it completely broke the scene and all I could think about was how horrible his voice was.

A thousand times, this.

I saw the movie last Friday and generally enjoyed it, but Cage's voice acting was ear-bleedingly awful. Every time he spoke, it completely broke the scene and all I could think about was how horrible his voice was.

I love it how hollywood producers always seem to assume that regular actors will make great voice actors. Some are good as voice actors but many are crap.

Taksraven

Saw this film yesterday and I thought it was okay. Yes, Nicolas Cage's voice acting was pretty annoying, but he didn't do much, anyway. The ending just plain sucks, though. The producers decided to end the film with a cliffhanger completely unrelated to the entire storyline, probably to assume there will be a sequel soon.

I think the only part of the movie i disliked was Tenma's attitude.. wasn't very believable, but overall i can let it slide, didn't bother getting annoyed with cage's va'ing, meh.

I bought myself the little $10 Astro (with thruster swap, retro Astro appearance) figure today lol, i feel like a kid, this is my first Astro figure ever. Not bad for 10 bucks.

Has there ever been a high end Astro collectable?? I want one of Atlas dammit. Without his horse, they'd only stuff it up somehow,

although Revoltech did ok with the FistoftheNorthStar horsies. lol

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I didnt think of the end as a cliffhanger. It was more like the end of The Incredibles; On to the next battle!

At least in The Incredibles, the next villain introduced himself before the end. The ending of Astro Boy was just poorly executed,

as the giant alien octopus pretty much appeared randomly with no brief explanation.

Enemies never appeared briefly without explanation in the original series?

I'd like to put two and two together, that gunslinging megalomaniac Mayor was all about War and the next big weapon

there would have to be a reason for that other than picking on the poor suckers down on Trashed Earth

lol

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie