Repaints For Newbies

Valkyrie Driver

I am new to the Macross toy community, I have two valks, a 1/60 Yamato VF1A Cannon Fodder, and a 1/100 Toynami Max DYRL VF1A. I want to do repaints on both of them, one of them I want to do in my dad's old MIANG 171st FIS colors, and the other in a low viz grey scheme. The problem I have is I've only ever painted models, and I don't know how to go about starting a project like this. I think that I would like to paint the 1/60 in the MIANG colors due to it being larger, and thus the markings can be more visible. Help and input opinions anything would be great, the only thing I'm afraid of with my 1/60 is well, the box said Toys R Us special edition. Is this thing valuable? Does anybody give a flying rat turd about value when they buy these toys? I bought it because it was cool, and it's Macross. Input please, I'll panhandle y'all for it if I must... :D

The TRU valks aren't more valuable, just a slightly different color than the TV versions. Personally, I prefer the TRU versions. As for repainting, I really don't advise it for the 1/60. The Die cast in the legs I would think would make doing that a pain in the ass. Besides, if your 1/60 collection grows, it's always nice to have a bunch of Brownies to bolster your squad. If you insist on repainting, I'd say the Toynami's are cool because hey, if you screw up, oh well they're cheap. But if you insist on repainting a 1/60, go to the buy sell trade forum and see if anyone has any yellowed/paint chipped valks they want to unload. I'm sure someone here could oblige you.

When repainting a toy, take it apart carefully, and account for all the parts. I put them in separate baggies labeled (Right leg, Right arm, Head, etc.) and then pick one section at a time to work on. I recommend Tamiya paints and a good airbrush, but really any model paint (and in a pinch Krylon Fusion) will do. Just remember: Paint, Clear gloss, Decals/panel wash/, Clear Matte. Can't go wrong with that formula.

You might want to sand down some of those parts that connect and interlock before you start painting. It should help to cut down on some of the paint chips later on and make reassembling a little bit easier.