Last Exile

hevangel2

I just finished all 26 eposide of Last Exile.

I highly recommand it to all fellow MWers.

Check out the trailer here.

http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/m-serve/last-exi...ram/trailer.ram

http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/m-serve/last-exi...TVdigest_01.ram

You'll defintely got hooked by the stylish mecha design

and flawless integration of CG/Cel animation.

Edited by hevangel2

I watched several episodes of this series at Otafest this past summer. It wasn't all that great. Maybe the series picks up, but I wasn't too excited about seeing anymore of it. However, I do agree the CG with Cel art was very well done. A nice merge.

While I agree it is definitely pretty, and I was very excited about the series when I first got ahold of it, it really began to drag towards the middle. It's really lacking in the character developement department, at least as far in as I've seen. I've heard it picks up again, and I can't wait to see the rest, but from what I have seen there are some much better shows that have come out of 2003.

The six promo Logs, and the extra Log, that came out for the upcoming series 'BLAME!' are absolutely incredible in and of themselves. I can't wait for the series to start. I sincerely hope it manages the same feel with longer episodes. I'd actually be happy with a long running series of short 6 minute episodes, if it kept the same quality as these Logs.

The new Captain Herlock OVA seems to be one of the top new items to come out of this year, and we can't forget about Macross Zero which I'm enjoying immensly.

Galaxy Railways has only just started, and is already living up to the promise of more Leij Matsumoto-y goodness.

Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu is probably the best show to come out this year that I've seen in it's entirety. One of the best anime comedies period. I'm still amazed at a comedy that pulled off really serious parts that never came out look awkward or poorly written (now if only the american movie industry could learn that trick).

Overall, this has been a very good year for anime in general. I imagine that a lot of what came out this year will be remembered for a long time to come.

While I agree it is definitely pretty, and I was very excited about the series when I first got ahold of it, it really began to drag towards the middle. It's really lacking in the character developement department, at least as far in as I've seen. I've heard it picks up again, and I can't wait to see the rest, but from what I have seen there are some much better shows that have come out of 2003.

The six promo Logs, and the extra Log, that came out for the upcoming series 'BLAME!' are absolutely incredible in and of themselves. I can't wait for the series to start. I sincerely hope it manages the same feel with longer episodes. I'd actually be happy with a long running series of short 6 minute episodes, if it kept the same quality as these Logs.

The new Captain Herlock OVA seems to be one of the top new items to come out of this year, and we can't forget about Macross Zero which I'm enjoying immensly.

Galaxy Railways has only just started, and is already living up to the promise of more Leij Matsumoto-y goodness.

Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu is probably the best show to come out this year that I've seen in it's entirety. One of the best anime comedies period. I'm still amazed at a comedy that pulled off really serious parts that never came out look awkward or poorly written (now if only the american movie industry could learn that trick).

Overall, this has been a very good year for anime in general. I imagine that a lot of what came out this year will be remembered for a long time to come.

Never really interested me. I preferred Scrapped Princess over pretty much everything else, and now after seeing episode 9, Read or Die is really starting to pull me in.

Edited by imode

Last Exile got good production quality, but have a boring story and rather simple characters. I found Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, and Stellvia to be much better show overall.

Edit: the subject is still LE, right?

Edited by CF18

It got good production quality, but have a boring story and rather simple characters.    I found Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, and Stellvia to be much better show overall.

Was that directed to ROD, or Stellvia? :)

I'm assuming ROD else you'd be contradicting yourself. I really like the character interaction in ROD. I suppose for those who are looking for the same fast paced storyline that was found in the OVA it's a little different especially since there's not a single character from the original series of the same name. However, the characters are more complex than you think. Episodes 8 and 10 do a good bit of character emphasis between Junior/Anita Tooru/Hishisihi Anita/Maggie/Michelle and Nenene/Lee. They seem to be going through this system of character episode, then action/story episode, then another character episode, another action/story and repeat. While I was disappointed a bit with episode 7, episode 9 MORE than made up for it.

*Spoiler*

Welcome back Drake and the English, see Junior's and Sonny Wong's true powers, and see more nudity than I have ever seen in a televised anime in a long time.

Edited by imode

So it is official that Last Exile's coming to US shores? If so, WOOHOO! I've been watching this for awhile, haven't finished it cause my comps in the shop, but so far (seen up to ep 21) I like it!

Radd - is this Tsutomu Nihei's BLAME! ? I've got his Wolverine miniseries and have seen pictures of BLAME!, alas no translations :( but the art is incredible, if this anime is done in the same style this could be something really special

HaRe Nochi Guu is not a new show. It's actually two or three years old, now.

So it is official that Last Exile's coming to US shores? If so, WOOHOO! I've been watching this for awhile, haven't finished it cause my comps in the shop, but so far (seen up to ep 21) I like it!

Radd - is this Tsutomu Nihei's BLAME! ? I've got his Wolverine miniseries and have seen pictures of BLAME!, alas no translations :( but the art is incredible, if this anime is done in the same style this could be something really special

Pioneer (or whatever the heck they're called now) has already had trailers of it on some of their DVDs.

Last Exile's appeal for me lies mostly in the setting. The story is good and the characters not bad, but it's the world around them that really grabs my attention.

So it is official that Last Exile's coming to US shores? If so, WOOHOO! I've been watching this for awhile,

volume 1 is available for pre-order. comes in:

- dvd only

- dvd plus box

- dvd plus box, mousepad, figure, and some other stuff. naturally this is a limited set.

Pioneer is now Geneon (pronounced Gen-E-On).

What I really like about Last Exile are the vanships, sylvania, and that goat Alv carries around. The characters are a little dull for me, but I've only seen about half the series. (Its on the to watch list)