Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs English DVD vol. 1 Pre-Order now at

ComicKaze

http://www.amazon.com/Saber-Rider-Sheriffs...3253&sr=1-1

This totally made my day. This is probably my favorite anime of all time. The germans knew how good this series was. They've had two soundtrack releases and a huge DVD compilation with tons of extra features and interviews released for years. It was a humongous hit in germany. I never thought an english release would ever see the light of day but here it is.

Now people often say that redubbed, re-edited, re-scored animes are "butchered" like Robotech but this is totally not the case here - at least in my opinion. WEP (makers of Voltron) even outsourced another animation studio to actually make a few extra episodes to make their re-written story make more sense. The voice acting is probably some of the best I've ever seen in a dubbed anime, this was back in the 80s when actual professional and charismatic voice actors were plentiful due to the cartoon boom (Peter Cullen is in this one). Nothing like the terrible dubbing in dubbed anime these days. The music is fantastic too. Dale Schacker really outdid the original Japanese score by a large margin (boring orchestral BGM and cheesy early 80s pop) with his combination of hard rock, good synth, and great takes on some Ennio Morricone western themes (great spanish guitars, horns, rattlesnakes, whip cracks, etc.). Some of the episodes were a bit cheesy, your typical super robot of the week show, but when the storyline gets going, it's pretty chilling with lost ancient human colony fleets and a terrible war, etc.

Do you get that I really love this show yet? A great 52 episode series originally by Studio Pierrot.

Edited by ComicKaze

Can you feel the thunder inside?

Make the lighting crack as you ride! (SABER RIDER!)

Nemesis, Gattlar, Jessie Blue... tons of great villains.

Have the best of episodes considered the R2s... but now I don't have to.

(now if only Captain Power DVDs would come out, my childhood nostalgia collection would be complete)

And yeah, I think as impro-altered-dubs go this is up there with Robotech and SPC.

Edit: You still had some awkwardly edited scenes though, that tried to shift the emphasis off the Japanese main character (Shinji/Fireball) onto the American Cowboy Colt.

Edited by lord_breetai

Can you feel the thunder inside?

Make the lighting crack as you ride! (SABER RIDER!)

Nemesis, Gattlar, Jessie Blue... tons of great villains.

Have the best of episodes considered the R2s... but now I don't have to.

(now if only Captain Power DVDs would come out, my childhood nostalgia collection would be complete)

And yeah, I think as impro-altered-dubs go this is up there with Robotech and SPC.

Edit: You still had some awkwardly edited scenes though, that tried to shift the emphasis off the Japanese main character (Shinji/Fireball) onto the American Cowboy Colt.

James, there is a fan-made Captain Power DVD set. I have it. It's excellent. Okay the video quality isn't that good, it's VHS recorded off the SPACE run from a few years ago but at least it's a DVD set with every episode on it and somehow this guy managed to get together a lot of rare stuff like promotional videos I've never seen before, all the TV commercials, and it even has the three animated videos (made by Bubblegum Crisis' AIC in a super high budget explosion of insane 1980s high quality animation), all the extra videos released only to VHS (like the music videos), etc.. Totally worth the $30 I paid I think.

HAHAHA I love how it's just the three Anime Alberta people posting in this thread so far.

Even though I haven't been to anime alberta in years! I swear I posted this over at AA but it didn't appear in the forum list. I'll go do that again. There was that other guy on AA who watched Saber Rider. I can't remember his name. Vorpal maybe? CoryHolmes is from AA?

Edited by ComicKaze

Even though I haven't been to anime alberta in years! I swear I posted this over at AA but it didn't appear in the forum list. I'll go do that again. There was that other guy on AA who watched Saber Rider. I can't remember his name. Vorpal maybe? CoryHolmes is from AA?

Pretty sure he's the same Cory from Anime Alberta... at least I thought so AKA SharonAppleBoy, AKA Paleogothica... AKA I forget the AA name. Pretty sure it's the same one though.

*hasn't been on AA in a long time.*

I may have lived in Alberta for a year (Calgary, to be specific), but I never went to any anime conventions while I was there. Now I'm back in gorgeous British Columbia (the centre of Canadian civiliazaiton) B))

Oh wow... all this time I thought you were the same Cory LOL. Sorry. That's confusing, I've thought you and the Cory from the Anime Alberta Forums were the same person for a few years.