Collection Preservation

Macross World Daddy

I was going through my Macross collection in my closet and on opening a few cardboard boxes that contain my prized toy collection (MISB), some creepy insects flew out. There was no visible damage to the toy boxes that I could see. Are these those moths that people talk about, whichh eat clothing? I thought that paper was safe??.....

If so, how do I keep my collection away? Moth balls, moth ball pouches or is there a better alternative?

I can't say that I've ever had that problem of bugs, or moths, but that's not to say that I may not. I doubt they would or could cause any damage, unless they happen to like tampo printing. But seriously though, I think they are ok.

Yes, the bugs probably were moths and yes, they eat boxes and everything else but usually only once the material has already started to decompose. The best way to solve your problem is probably to make sure you have some dessicants in with your boxes (those packages of salts and such meant to keep moisture away). Without the moisture your boxes should stay nice and dry which will keep them from coming apart and attracting bugs or mold. Some good ventiation wherever you keep them is also a good idea... somewhere cool, dry, and with good ventilation (or in a vacuum) is best. Yes, I know none of us can keep our stuff in a vacuum.

Edited by jenius

I have a similar experience that happened to me twice. Both happened around summertime.

The first one took place about two or three years ago at a hobby model shop where I had pulled out a box for the MSiA Psycho Gundam from one of the shelves. When I did this, I noticed numerous little white grains, which looked like rice krispies, were stuck on the side of the box or spilled onto the shelf. I didn't mind these things at first, but I cringed when I saw that the little white grains were squirming and wriggling on the shelf. When I looked at the box in my hand, more of these tiny wriggling critters were crawling out of the opening that they had chewed out of the box's side. That was an awfully disgusting sight, I tell you.

It turns out that these creepy critters were termite larvae chewing on the cardboard MSiA box. Anyhow, I put the box back on the shelf and informed the shop owner about this situation. She then took the box down and wiped the larvae off the shelf. Eventually, the hobby model shop did extensive renovations. I don't know if it was because of termite infestation or just to give the shop a new look.

The other similar creepy-crawly critter experience was more personal and happened around summer of last year. I had moved into an old studio apartment where I lived and gradually filled with my toy collection. During the six-month's time that I had lived there, I noticed that the hallway's wall surface outside my room was gradualy warping with rough spots and bumps spread on certain areas. The wall was coated with some kind of plastic lining, and I thought that water seepage from my bathroom, which is directly on the other side of this wall, had something to do with the bumps.

As I was coming home one evening, I opened my door and was about to walk inside the small entrance space of my room when I noticed white grains stuck on the lower side of the door. I bent down to have a closer look. "F***! Damn it!" I screamed. I was surprised, disgusted, and angry all at the same time. From my experience at the hobby model shop, I knew exactly what these white grains were - termites and their larvae. However, it was difficult to believe that it was happening at my place. This was worse, though - I mean, a thousand times worse! As I stood there, more termites and larvae were spilling from the hole that they'd chewed out from the door frame and were pilling up and crawling all over the floor. I couldn't avoid stepping on some of them. I took a box of tissues and proceeded to wipe them from the floor and the side of the door and then dumped the tissues with the termites in a plastic bag. I used up an entire box of tissues doing this. Yet, they continued to emerge from the hole, so I took what was closest at hand, some cellophane tape for my toy boxes, and taped up the hole with several layers. In the end, the hole taped up with transparent tape looked like a glass panel of an ant farm, or formicarium, except with termites inside.

This got me curious about the source of these multitudes of termites, so I went outside and poked the bumps on the plastic lined wall outside my room with a broomstick. What I saw was like a scene from a horror movie. The plastic lining peeled away revealing another thick wooden panel infested with termites and their larvae! It was the middle of summer, and the termites had gotten really active. From this opening, hundreds of adult termites crawled out and then flew all over the hallway. I quickly got back inside my room and closed my door lest the adult termites fly inside.

I immediately called my landlord, and she just told me to spray the wall with insecticide. "Yeah, like that's gonna make these things go away!" I told her. Well, to make a long story short, she offered me another vacant studio apartment down the hall, so I moved my things out the next few days. I had to move during the day since the termites were somehow less active during daytime. Eventually, I moved out of that apartment after my lease contract had expired.

Edited by roboto

Thankfully we don't get Termites in the U.K as I live in a timber framed house.

The only problems we can get is woodlice in damp areas they love damp rotting wood and are also quite fond of damp cardboard. All my stuff is kept in sealed plastic boxes in the attic which is heated and very very well insulated. That said all the boxes have desiccant pouches in just in case. Some of my stuff is further protected by being in vac-sealed bags, you can never be too careful.

Edited by big F

Hey guys, thought I would chime in. Cockroaches and Silverfish will both eat paper and cardboard as well, wet, damp or not. These guys will eat the coloured ink off your boxes and gnaw the edges as well. Lets not even get into rats and mice...Dried Lavender, bay leaves and Napthalene will keep these insects at bay (Generally), my $1.05 worth...

Edited by Mark 1