Second season of GitS: Stand Alone Complex!

wakobi

Just as long as Oshii keeps his pretentious, psychobabble, talking-head fingers off of "3rd Gig" then I'll be happy. His influence came perilously close to scuttling 2nd Gig in a few episodes.

331079[/snapback]

Hear Hear!

Oshii's films all look great, but I've never been happy with a single one of his "reimaginings" of other people's work. Hmm... actually, I take that back, Jinroh was good, but then again, I've never read any of the source material.

Just as long as Oshii keeps his pretentious, psychobabble, talking-head fingers off of "3rd Gig" then I'll be happy. His influence came perilously close to scuttling 2nd Gig in a few episodes.

331079[/snapback]

Hear Hear!

Oshii's films all look great, but I've never been happy with a single one of his "reimaginings" of other people's work. Hmm... actually, I take that back, Jinroh was good, but then again, I've never read any of the source material.

331080[/snapback]

Jin Roh is his own creation. Besides the GitS films, what other "reimaginings" are you talking about?

Also, I'm fairly certain that Oshii hasn't been involved with the GitS TV series at all. And even if he was, it's not as if Shirow isn't just as, if not more, guilty of going overboard with the philosophy.

Edit: confirmed that Oshii was not involved with Stand Alone Complex or 2nd GIG.

Edited by JELEINEN

Edit: confirmed that Oshii was not involved with Stand Alone Complex or 2nd GIG.

331087[/snapback]

From Production IG's web page....

Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig

The awaited follow-up to Stand Alone Complex. For this second season, Innocence-famed director Mamoru Oshii contributed with his ideas to the concept of the entire series right from the initial planning stages. The series maintains an episodic format and portrays Section 9 dealing with political issues such as invited refugees and nuclear intrigue. Another government institution, the Information Bureau of the Cabinet, comes up head-to-head against them. And a terrorist entity who calls itself the “Individual Eleven†joins the set. The in-depth storytelling of the series is likely to surpass the first series.

Bold added for emphasis.

Also, THIS interview with Kenji Kamiyama reveals that he intentionally tried to emulate Oshii.

Edited by bsu legato

I got a chance to finally get the first disc of SAC (ep 1-4). I like the shorter stories alot better than the movies. The plots don't get too heavy and you see more of the detective angle of the team. Togusa gets more screen time, which I think is a good thing, its easier for the audience to identify with the story through his eyes.

I saw GITS2 Innocence a bit back and again recently, I m not sure what to make of it. Its a nice looking film but some of the plotlines were a little out there.

331151[/snapback]

While I'll be the first in line to say that the first movie was overrated, I loved Inoncence. The pacing was good (Oshii really broke out of his normal mode in this one), but the plot is where I thought it really stood out. The best part about it is that he pulls this brilliant bait and switch. The entire film builds up leading the audience to think that it's some sort of post modern, existential story like the first one, but the pay off is that it turns out to be just your usual humans being shitty to each other. Very well played all around.

I agree that Togusa getting screen time is good. In fact, I'd argue that he's as much the main character of the TV series as anyone. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the Major (another reason to like Innoncence). She just comes across as Shirow's Mary Sue, and is for the most part completely uninteresting.

Besides the GitS films, what other "reimaginings" are you talking about?

I guess Akira would be at the top of my list. Liked the manga up until I stopped reading it around issue 30 or so (old Marvel editions) but thought the movie was crap. Pretty crap but crap nonetheless.

EDIT>>

Man... nothing like confusing Katsushiro Otomo and Mamoru Oshii...

Good thing I wasn't using that Otaku card for anything as I'll now gladly give it up. :)

Edited by LePoseur

• 2 weeks later...
Jin Roh is his own creation.  Besides the GitS films, what other "reimaginings" are you talking about?

331087[/snapback]

Patlabor and Urusei Yatsura are the two that first come to mind.

332339[/snapback]

He was one of the original creators of Patlabor. UY you might have a point. As much as I love Beautiful Dreamer, it is out of character for the series.

He was one of the original creators of Patlabor.  UY you might have a point.  As much as I love Beautiful Dreamer, it is out of character for the series.

337193[/snapback]

Are you sure Oshii was part of Headgear? i was under the impression he didnt have anything to do with the original creation of Patlabor...

337195[/snapback]

He directed the original OVA series.

• 4 weeks later...

Do any of you guys know where I can get ep 26?...Ive been watching the series relentlessly from ep 1-25 this week and cant wait to watch the finale~!

Definitely a very smart & cool series. Thumbs UP!

Or is it not yet out?

Edited by aaajin

• 3 weeks later...
UY you might have a point.  As much as I love Beautiful Dreamer, it is out of character for the series.

337193[/snapback]

I don't agree with you there. There is a TV episode that the movie expanded on and basically rehashed and it was just as peculiar.

You are also forgetting about the tv episodes where all the main characters went to a haunted house on the beach and ended up dying one by one in pretty grotesque manners or where Ataru's mom had a weird introspective adventure where she went crazy. When Oshii directs, you never know where he's going to take the characters.

As for why Patlabor II was so different from the first movie was that this time, the rest of Headgear decided to allow Oshii more creative control, whereas in the first, it was a collaborative team effort.