Macross Hawaiian Shirts

sharky

I was thinking it would be cool to have an Hawaiian shirt with a Macross theme. I was looking around on the web to see if I could find a place to make custom fabric. Then, I would need to find a place that can have the fabric made into shirts. Or, maybe there is a place that does it all from start to finish. It seems like it would be possible in theory, but I wonder what it would cost to do it.

Would anyone be interested in working with me on a project to have shirts made. As in, lets get a head count on who would be interested in going in on this. It could help spread the cost out if we all went in together. Also, let's figure out what kind of design/pattern to make. I would be willing to do the leg work as far as sourcing a place to make fabric, getting pricing on making shirts, ordering, delivery, so on and so forth. I really have no graphic skills, so I would need assistance in getting artwork and coming up with a cool pattern.

If we can get enough people to commit, perhaps it wouldn't cost so much. If I know how many people are serious about it I can work on getting a price per shirt.

What do you think?

I'm curious, what kind of design did you have in mind? Something like those Megatron and DBZ shirts I see around?

Well, I was thinking a pattern with various graphics randomly mixed throughout. One could be the UN Spacy logo, perhaps a graphic of Minmay, maybe the SDF-1 in attack mode, a VF-1S, etc. Again, I'm not a graphic artist type of person, so I don't really know the possibilities of what might look cool. I was hoping someone with a talent for graphics could come up with a few variations, and we could vote on it first. I'm just testing the waters at this point to see if the interest is strong. I was simply going to do it all on my own, but I thought why not make a MW thing and share the fun.

Edit: Can you post a pick of an example you had in mind as far as the Megatron or DBZ ones for reference.

Edited by sharky

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Rocket-Transform...t/dp/B000CB1QGY

Here we go. I looks a bit better when worn.

That's not bad. I suppose if that was the look we are going for you might put a VF-1S in battriod mode, or the SDF-1. I guess it could be a choice of putting the Macross DYRL title on top, and the UN-SPACY logo, or the Skull Squadron logo where the large Decepticon logo is.

That's not bad. I suppose if that was the look we are going for you might put a VF-1S in battriod mode, or the SDF-1. I guess it could be a choice of putting the Macross DYRL title on top, and the UN-SPACY logo, or the Skull Squadron logo where the large Decepticon logo is.

I was thinking we could do a Macross Zero Mayan Island Hawaiian-style shirt

But of course that would make too much sense e_e

All good suggestions. I imagine we should post picks of a few designs. Then I could do my first poll and see which one gets the most votes. At that point we would need to find out how many will actually want in on it. From there, I would have what I need, a design and a quantity, so I can hunt for a fabric maker and a shirt maker. Then I could report back with a price quote, and see again who will really buy it.

One thing to keep in mind, I am guessing that a randomized pattern is probably the easier, and cheaper, thing to do. Again, I am just testing the waters at this point.

Aloha guys and gals. I caught your thread in my Google alerts and thought I would stop by. We just so happen to manufacture Hawaiian apparel as well as produce our own fabric. We don’t know how many active members you have… but you should know that the textile producers have 3300 yard minimums. In translation you would end up with enough fabric to make approximately 1600 to 1700 shirts. Doing the artwork is a snap, the price per yard is entirely different story. Its currently over $2.50 a yard so do the math. Anyway we are always glad to see some enthusiasm for Hawaiian shirts, we have 2 brands and you are welcome to check them out at www.waveshoppe.com and www.luaushirts.com

Aloha guys and gals. I caught your thread in my Google alerts and thought I would stop by. We just so happen to manufacture Hawaiian apparel as well as produce our own fabric. We don’t know how many active members you have… but you should know that the textile producers have 3300 yard minimums. In translation you would end up with enough fabric to make approximately 1600 to 1700 shirts. Doing the artwork is a snap, the price per yard is entirely different story. Its currently over $2.50 a yard so do the math. Anyway we are always glad to see some enthusiasm for Hawaiian shirts, we have 2 brands and you are welcome to check them out at www.waveshoppe.com and www.luaushirts.com

We need to come up with a concept shirt first before any will sell but frankly I am not sure we have sufficient demand for 1600! shirts...

heres one, hawaiin beach themed with the unspacy kite on the left breast, and on the back is roy in a pineapple themed shirt sittin on the beach looking at girls drinking a margatria.

THAT is brilliant.

Pineapple joke: check

Tropical Theme: check

Macross-connection: check

Wearable at an actual Luau or on vacation?: check!!

Note: I have just been promoted again! w00t

go postcount, go!

Edited by RF-26AAC

Well, if that is minimum to get just fabric printed were looking $8500+ in fabric costs alone which is a tremendous investment.

Lets say we get 1700 shirts made, it would break down like this:

~$5 in fabric per shirt + buttons + thread + backing + tailor fees. Some how I think these expenses would push the initial investment to over double the cost of the fabrics alone. While I think we'd be able to sell 1700 Macross themed shirts, it would be a large initial investment. Maybe the folks that do the Macross World Con shirts could poke their head in here and give us some ideas.

Personally, I think silk screening a pre-made shirt that has a hawaiian pattern is a better idea.

For the brainstorm department, here is another sample of a button up shirt:

http://www.stylinonline.com/megclubshir.html

Here is a question, what generation did is everyone interested in doing?

SDF Macross TV

DYRL?

Zero (cough.. no)

7 (somehow I don't for see this being universally accepted)

Plus

Frontier

My vote is for SDF Macross TV. My favorite as well as getting some potential crossover interest from the Robotech fans.

Has anyone scribbled some designs on a paper napkin or something yet?

Thanks for the input. From what is indicated on the prices, I seriously do not think that there would be enough interest on this forum to meet the minimum order qty on the fabric. We are talking about $8250 at a minimum just for the fabric. If we actually had around 1600 people who would really buy a shirt the fabric would only be around $5 per shirt. However, I think it would be a stretch to think we have even 100 people genuinely wanting a shirt. For arguments sake the material cost for each person, @ 100 shirts, would be $82.50 and each one of us would have a ton of material left over. Each person would have enough to make 16 shirts. This is all before we even talk about having a shirt made.

I don't think there would be anyone wanting a shirt that bad as to put down that kind of money. We're talking Yamato kind of money, and with all the cool toys and such coming out, I think most everyone will be funneling the money into other Macross interests.

Perhaps if I can source a fabric maker that can do it for considerably less qty and price we can try to make a go of it then. I will shelf the idea for now. Maybe we can plant the seed to a company that does anime themed shirts already to invest the money to get licensing and actually produce the shirts as a business venture.

Edit: Lance, sounds like you are more optimistic than me. Do you feel there would be enough interest for 1600 shirts? I suppose some would want more than one. I could do a poll, but it would be best to have a ballpark price for a completed shirt and a design.

Edited by sharky

I am the first to admit that I know nothing about what this forum is about. But if there is some sort of product rep lurking around here you probably have a better chance of getting a shirt that you all like. Also if you look around you can find some sources in Asia that will do the entire job for you. Check around on Alibaba. We cut and sew in the USA but the cost to manufacture is pretty high (but the quality is excellent).

@sharky if you find someone that does smaller quantities let us know, that would be a awesome find.

I am the first to admit that I know nothing about what this forum is about. But if there is some sort of product rep lurking around here you probably have a better chance of getting a shirt that you all like. Also if you look around you can find some sources in Asia that will do the entire job for you. Check around on Alibaba. We cut and sew in the USA but the cost to manufacture is pretty high (but the quality is excellent).

@sharky if you find someone that does smaller quantities let us know, that would be a awesome find.

Actually, I do know several people, including my brother, who could do the artwork required. I also have many direct contacts in China who could assist me in sourcing the material and labor. My only concern with going overseas would be the quality. This is really a pet project that I am doing simply out of my interest in Macross, and I was trying to share something cool with the loyal MW fans and get their involvement. However, I would feel really bad if I got a bunch of people to put money into these shirts and the quality was poor.

It sounds like there is a mild interest at least, but I think I will take this project offline and work on it on my own. That way I can take my time to do it right. I would still like input as to a shirt design idea that would appeal to a majority of the fans here on MW. I will ask my brother to assist in coming up with a few things for starters. Actually, he is a big Macross fan as well, and while he doesn't participate on this forum he is the one to originally hip me to anime and Macross in particular. I will come back to this thread at some point in the future to post the ideas and request some feedback. Hopefully, I can zero in on a design that most everyone could like.

Then I will work on getting a source in China for the shirts. From what was ballparked on this thread for US material, I think doing it all in China would be affordable enough for me to simply fund the entire project myself. If the results are satisfactory I will offer them to the fans on MW for cost plus shipping. I would probably send one to Graham for a review. That way no one would have to put up any money until they knew exactly what they were getting.

Please feel free to post more design ideas. I will collect them and present them all in a poll or something.

OK, this is more like what I originally had in mind as far as the pattern. Of course it would have Macross images instead, and I would change the color scheme to something nicer and more pleasing to the eye IMHO. Also, I would want to do full color images. Basically, I am trying to go for something that would stand alone even if it wasn't Macross themed, but it would be Macross themed of course. :D Something a bit subtle is what I was thinking.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods_detai...EY=NEOSL-13144#

Edited by sharky

Sounds like a pipe dream but I'm down..

Check these out for idears.

My cousin and I were talking about these the other day..

Some older guy at this club we go to always wears a TB shirt....check the $tag.

Tommy B

Subtle design...I can imagine this design with a pencil sketch based graphic..not heavy thick lines....

Foker shirt would look good in thise style..big 1s..or even a BIG SDF-1,DYRL style,in the bottom corner....

Bolwing style??

I can imagine Foker wearing one of these, weekend, drinks...drinks..drinks...ladies..long board shorts and sandals...hair all crazy...passing the uwee gooey..lol B))

Edited by orguss01

Chekc these out for idears.

My cousin and I were talking about these the other day..

Some guy at this club we go to always wears a TB shirt....check the $tag.

Tommy B

That is a very nice shirt I must say. I like the colors. I guess the price comes from the fact that it's silk and a TB brand name. That's kind of the idea I was going for. I am hoping to come up with a shirt that is fairly fashionable to the point where even a non-Macross or anime fan would feel it is nice.

Great reference shirt. Keep 'em coming.