Any Neo Geo fans out there?

Hey, anyone else hitting up the 2003 testing in Lakewood, CA? I'll be there :)

Hey, anyone else hitting up the 2003 testing in Lakewood, CA?  I'll be there :)

Where's Lakewood, exactly?

I might, but then again.. I suck at fighting games.

Um... Sean... that's where I live...

Hey Vinny, contact me when you're around here, I suck at these games too but I'll check it out.

Edited by >EXO<

Hey, anyone else hitting up the 2003 testing in Lakewood, CA?  I'll be there :)

Where's Lakewood, exactly?

I might, but then again.. I suck at fighting games.

Um... Sean... that's where I live...

Hey Vinny, contact me when you're around here, I suck at these games too but I'll check it out.

Oh yeah. I forgot. :lol:

When is the testing starting?

Eh, has anyone else noticed that most of the character designs have gone downhill ever since SNK became SNKP? Is that Kyo in a leather biker jacket? I hope my eyes are playing tricks on me. :blink:

I dunno about the other series, but the SS5/0 characters at the select screen looked lame and can't even hold a candle up to the designs from the earlier installments.

Probably skip this cart and wait for a PS2 port instead.

Testing starts this Saturday at 10 AM. Free metal Slug 5 and 2003 posters, too!

Two KoF 03 posters, eh? I'll see what I can do for ya guys ;)

Cool! Thanks Vinny.

Actually I like their new Artist. His name is Falcoon and he actually started working for them back in 97 or so. He did the card art for Cardfighters Expand edition on NGPC(Japanese only release :( )

Buy yeah Kyo has an updated look. Why though does Iori still have the same outfit? lol.

I've owned my Neo Geo system since 1992, brand new, and I'll never part with it.

11 years later, she still looks like new, and so do all the games I've accrued in that time.

It's still one of the most beautiful, fun, and amazing systems I've owned, and I play it more than my PS2 and GameCube combined.

I'll never tired of the gameplay, and sprite based art style I grew up with. B))

Why though does Iori still have the same outfit? lol.

Why does KOF still exist?

The game has evolved at a snail's pace, and 90% of the characters are recycled from the previous installments with the same moves, same outfits, and haven't aged a bit or changed in any meaningful way.

KOF needs to be completely redone, or die and go to Hell.

Edited by TriShield

KOF needs to be completely redone, or die and go to Hell.

You may not like it, but apparently there are enough people that do or else they would have gone with your "suggestions". lol

With the dying arcade market and the lust for 3d among the masses, the neo geo scene seems to be pretty much reduced to a cult-like following... so I agree with Jolly that SNKP would be cautious about stirring up a winning mix with the fanboys.

KoF is changing. 2k3 introduces a full tag mode, ala Marvel vs Capcom. There's a full list of changes somewhere here, and boy are there are radical! I don't think changes will necessarily cause SNKP to lose their fanbase. After all these years, they still have retained a small but dedicated group of fans. If these fans have made it this far, they're not going anywhere. Just think of the Washington Redskins; they've sucked for the past decade, but their fans are the most dedicated in the entire franchise. :lol:

As for the snails pace of change, it was hard for SNK to implement any radical engine changes due the age of the MVS hardware. For example, this new "tag" mode will result in a slight load time. I'm sure the old SNK had thought about a "tag" option, but were to proud to subject their fans to a load-time in a cartridge game. OTOH, SNKP is starting a new KoF game on Sammy hardware. If successful, this will be the first step towards a whole new age.

The other thing being is that they make a "new" version every year. I dont think they have enough time to really change it that much. People on the Neo Geo.com discussed how SNKP could release one every other year and maybe have enough changes.

Hardware is not an excuse for not overhauling KOF. It's all about the effort the team wants to put into it. They could redraw and restyle all the graphics in the game, introduce and eliminate a number of characters each year, and redesign the favorites, and the fighting engine. Much like how SamSho evolved from the original, to II, and to III. Each of those games evolved quite well graphically, with very little being carried over.

I feel for what we pay for these cartridges, we're getting severely shortchanged with KOF.

I'll probably download 2k3 before committing any money to it, which is what I should have done with the last few.

<_<

The other thing being is that they make a "new" version every year. I dont think they have enough time to really change it that much. People on the Neo Geo.com discussed how SNKP could release one every other year and maybe have enough changes.

That's another thing I've thought about. By the time a new KoF is done, the programmers have to start working on a new one. I gotta give SNK and SNKP props for churning out Kof annually for nearly the past decade. But I wouldn't mind waiting bi-annually for a KoF if it meant we'd get an even better game.

I have to agree.

I mean the Metal Slug games come only every 2 years and it shows(*cough*except for 4 *cough*)

The Samurai games were always incredible and they never rushed those.

I just hope if SNKP tries sequels to Garou or Last Blade they really take their time and really add something that is worth it and not a dissapointment.

:blink:

Hey guys, I just want to say I was limited to only one KoF 03 poster so I couldn't grab any extra ones :( Sorry :(

What's this talk of how SNK never changes betwen KoFs? Athena gets a new sprite every year, for one. Character's moves and priorities change every year. We get new villians every year. Every four years we get new characters and a whole new story. Look at this year's KoF. Three totally new characters, MotW characters with all new sprites, Billy and Yamazaki get all new redesigned sprites, Kyo gets his third sprite incarnation (Capcom Shota fans may have to sit down for that one), Athena gets an all new sprite as usual too, new bosses at that. KoF is constantly changing every year. And SNK has some balls to totally revamp the gameplay style and story every four years.

The testing was fun, by the way. I mostly tried out the Mark of the Wolves characters. Gato's been heavily downgraded, but that was expected. Tizoc plays the same, and Terry's pretty much a KoF Terry in MotW clothing. I didn't get to try the new characters much, though :(

Well i also attended the Kof2k3 beta test,and snagged a few posters. Gamewise,its a very refreshing,fast paced game,and alot of the returning charicters are changed up quite a bit. it didnt leave a bad taste in my mouth like SVC: chaos did. good stuff, im glad to see the 2d fighting game world not dead.

id post more,but im up to my neck, in japanese homework that needs to be finshed.

Well i also attended the Kof2k3 beta test,and snagged a few posters. Gamewise,its a very refreshing,fast paced game,and alot of the returning charicters are changed up quite a bit. it didnt leave a bad taste in my mouth like SVC: chaos did. good stuff, im glad to see the 2d fighting game world not dead.

id post more,but im up to my neck, in japanese homework that needs to be finshed.

I will buy a poster from you!

In other news.

Metal Slug 5 is getting good reviews at Neo-Geo.com

Most are saying it plays alot like the first one.

All military enemies .

KOF 2003 is looking better.

The only problem with the videos though, is they tend to make the games look much better than they are in person.

It's hard to tell how vibrant the palette is, and if the music is any good.

I think I'll still put that cash towards MS5. :D

• 3 weeks later...

OMFG SS0/V RAAAAWX!!!!!

I've been playing the last couple days online with some friends and it kicks all kinds ass! Mina is officially the cheesiest character in fighting game HISTORY!! The rest of them are well balanced and I could kick your ass with just about anybody!

Milkman you **STILL** haven't gotten online with kaillera yet? What are you waiting for? Get the game and cum online with us man! It absolutely jam2.gifbow.gifjam2.gifbow.gifjam2.gifbow.gif

Jelly Ridgers wrote:SNKP has just confirmed that SS0/5 will come to the PS2, among other home version releases.

Why wait? Play it now online!