Anti Yellowing Solution/Possiblity.

Mechinyun

Hey guys, just wanted to throw this out for discussion, about 6 months ago I was researching anti-fade products for my car and ran into "303 aerospace protectant". Its billed as a industrial UV protectant for plastic, made for harsh outdoor environments. Long story short I used it all over my TV hikaru about 3 weeks ago, no ill effects so far, once you apply and wipe off it leaves the plastic looking just as it did, nice and flat.

Too soon to tell, but i figure it adds a bit of insurance against yellowing.

Check it out

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?...FTOKEN=83713086

Hmmm, we cant really wait around to find out, that could take months-years. I think you should leave the valk out in the sun for a couple of days and blow cigarette smoke on it every hour. That ought to speed up the process... :D

I've seen a lot of yellowed toys that were never exposed to light, but were stored in a location where there were extremes in temperature.

I also think it has to do with how the plastic was handled at the factory that day. The right mixture of additives is off, etc. and you get something that's more prone to yellowing.

Anyone here seen an HCM Neofam? Ever notice how some of them have had 90% of the gray parts turn brown, but for some inexplicable reason one or two pieces are the original color.

I think the issue is part "nature," part "nurture" and we don't have much control over it.

Here's one that illustrates what I'm talking about:

yukan_92-img548x466-1151739467hcp002a-3.jpg

See how the left foot is gray and everything else that should be gray is browned? I see lots of them like that.

If I can dig mine out I'll get some better pics of the phenomenon. I believe all of the gray parts on mine are browned except for one of the bicep halves, which is the original pristine gray. Makes no sense at all.

Another example. The fingers on the left hand are yellowed, but nothing else:

bbe01234-img600x450-1207901107pict0673.jpg

See Vifam's right arm, left hand, and CROTCH in this pic:

mmwww463-img600x450-1207056189img_0039.jpg

Another Neofam, left arm only thing yellowed:

atsu1012-img600x450-1201233858dsc02177.jpg

I really don't think there's any way to fight yellowing. It's like capacitor plague. It just happens and you deal with it as it comes.

I've seen a lot of yellowed toys that were never exposed to light, but were stored in a location where there were extremes in temperature.

I also think it has to do with how the plastic was handled at the factory that day. The right mixture of additives is off, etc. and you get something that's more prone to yellowing.

Anyone here seen an HCM Neofam? Ever notice how some of them have had 90% of the gray parts turn brown, but for some inexplicable reason one or two pieces are the original color.

I think the issue is part "nature," part "nurture" and we don't have much control over it.

My original 1/60 Hikaru VF-1A was kept on a shelf in my game room which is essentially a climate controlled non smoking cave and it has severely yellowed, so I would say it has more to do with plastic quality than anything else.