What is "deculture" and Sheryl is French?

After an epiphany I've come to the conclusion that explaining deculture is as simply as looking at the english word:

"WICKED!!!!!!!"

In which the older generations and in times of antiquity viewed to be a sign of unholy evil or something corrupt...and which has taken on a new meaning amongst the younger generation as something awesome and good.

Older generations of Zentradi in their thousands of years viewed culture as something corrupt with unholy power against them...thusly the cry of "deculture!!!" when faced with the horror of it and their physical and social destruction. The new denizens of the Macross world including whole society of humans and 'cultured' zentrans living together has taken it to be something possessing "awesome cultural value" whether it is DECULTURE [wicked] chinese cuisine from Nyan Nyan or a DECULTURE [wicked] music concert by Sheryl.

In episode 5, we learn that the full name of Nyan Nyan is SUPERDIMENSIONAL CHINESE RESTAURANT NYAN NYAN. My friends, that is f-ing DECULTCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Edited by ComicKaze

As far as the speech around the bridge goes, this even spills over into the episode 1 Deculture edition. The entire comm transmission to the ship with Sheryl aboard starts out in English, then moves to Japanese as the conversation becomes more informal.

That's natural though, especially in terms of air/space traffic control. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, the official spoken language of air traffic control is English, no matter which country you're in. I think it has to do with making sure everyone is on the same page for safety reasons, and other things like that. At the very least, the English alphabet is still sometimes used in communications using the old "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" etc. speech.

Correct. All Air Traffic Control is spoken in English, regardless of the location of the ATC handoff, the origin/nationality of the flight, etc. It's all about standardizing things, which is especially critical in aviation. So... it became English (SCORE! THE ONE THING THEY CAN'T MAKE US TRY TO DO IN SPANISH TO ACCOMIDATE CERTAIN COUNTRIES JUST SOUTH OF THE UNITED STATES!!!)

hmmmm...well, it's obvious Macross is meant to be some sort of global show, in the original SDFM, most of the cast were from different area

Minmei: chinesse

Gloval: italian

Hikaru: japanese

Misa: japanses

Claudia: errrr...french?

Roy: american?

and well, Nyan Nyan is obviously a chain chinesse restaurant in the macross universe from the original in SDFM

you know, maybe Sheryl speaks different languages like a lot of people and decided to write it in french as some sort of code to her assistant, so not everyone, let's say the hotel maid, knew she had left

and err....deculture, I just take it a Macross expression of amazement

Close.

Minmei: Chinese/Japanese mix (No. 3 Combo special)

Gloval: Italian (He wears a jogging suit and gold necklace in his off time)

Hikaru: Japanese

Misa: Japanese

Claudia: American

Roy: PURE MOTHER fartIN BALLER!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Claudia is from Louisiana. New Orleans is Sinking :) Gawd, I love that song :)

I'll find that out for you. Lemme rewatch DYRL and see if I can spot any FEMA Trailers aboard the Macross.

Your talking about "this guy" right?

Well that just happens to be your friendly neighborhood "Save".

Me and my friend made some shirts for Tokyo Anime Fair, and Big West got the joke. Deculture and Moe are very similar. When I have time I'll post the similarities.

I won't lie, I value that shirt. I'd wear it.

Lovable girls like Ranka and Asahina Mikuru are moe. Aggressive girls like miclonized Klan and Asuka Soryu Langley instead are tsundere. These are anime technical terms, like real robot and super robot.

FV

And aggressive girls make my world go round. ;D

in related news...

I CANT STOP WATCHING THIS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfKho2nUbcQ

I definitely just saved that to my iPhone.

After an epiphany I've come to the conclusion that explaining deculture is as simply as looking at the english word:

"WICKED!!!!!!!"

In which the older generations and in times of antiquity viewed to be a sign of unholy evil or something corrupt...and which has taken on a new meaning amongst the younger generation as something awesome and good.

Older generations of Zentradi in their thousands of years viewed culture as something corrupt with unholy power against them...thusly the cry of "deculture!!!" when faced with the horror of it and their physical and social destruction. The new denizens of the Macross world including whole society of humans and 'cultured' zentrans living together has taken it to be something possessing "awesome cultural value" whether it is DECULTURE [wicked] chinese cuisine from Nyan Nyan or a DECULTURE [wicked] music concert by Sheryl.

In episode 5, we learn that the full name of Nyan Nyan is SUPERDIMENSIONAL CHINESE RESTAURANT NYAN NYAN. My friends, that is f-ing DECULTCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Yup. Super Dimensional Chinese Restraunt Nyan Nyan. I need their phone number. $50 says they SHOULD be able to deliver faster than Dominos.

Yup. Super Dimensional Chinese Restraunt Nyan Nyan. I need their phone number. $50 says they SHOULD be able to deliver faster than Dominos.

Believe me, you don't want their phone number. I called them for a simple order of Hunan Beef and fried rice...they said it would take fifteen minutes. It arrived FIVE HOURS LATER because they'd miscalculated, and my dinner ended up somewhere in the vicinity of Pluto.

Needless to say, I didn't tip.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah...she obviously learned English as a second language...and having a Japanese speaker say the word "warp" is just cruel, I think...

Just like the guy in MF episode 1, saying, "Reply to me" in that particularly pleading tone...

I actually thought that sounded sexy... it reminded me of the original Sakura Taisen OVA... which had two women saying in soft sexy tones.

"Because Tokyo is a very important city for us"

"is that all?"

"huh?"

"You must have another reasons for wanting to save the city"

"I have lots of memories of the city"

"lots of memories?"

"yes"

"in that sense, I can understand. I too have..."

so much fun Engrish in my favorite video game franchise... nothing beats. "My name is Sakura, Sakura is Cherry, Cherry is Nippon Kokoro eto Japan spirit!"

Moe is what makes otaku go "AWWWWWWWWW" and brings up their paternal (or perverted) instincts.

Best one line explanation of Moe ever.