tools and accessories

RichyX

hello

was wondering if anyone could help me in telling me the basics of what i need to get to start modelling so far i have

compressor

dual action air brush

exo knifes

cutters

dremel

needle files

this is what im planning on getting as i know im going to need this

tamiya acrylic paint

tamiya thinners

cotton buds/ q tips

cocktail sticks

tamiya masking tape

paint brushes

modelling mat

no there is some things imnot sure on, being in the uk and model shops miles away im stuck with ebay lol

what i need to know is about glues/epoxy resins etc, also decal setting solutions, polishing compounds and filler (putty)

as i havnt a clue on this lot

also what oil paint to get and stuff i need for this for panel lining

so any help would be much appriciated as i have a lot of time on my hands and need something to do and i have 2 macross kits here that havnt been touched for 3 years and i have a gundam kit on its way lol

thankyou

Seems like you have most of it covered. For panel lining I like to use a maker that I found at most hobby shops. I am certain you can find one on eBay or I could get one for you and mail it off. The name escapes me momentarilly...but I will look tonight at it and let you know.

:ph34r:

i use a gundam marker for my gundam kits ive built, but even the finest point i find it goes on to quick and is a pain to get off aswell

so i would like to try the oil paints as a lot of people seem to have great success with these, plus once sort of dry a bit of spirt will take the extra off ive heard, but depends on what clear coat i use, mostly i will be using klear floor polish i think it is, but ive never actually done anything like this before so want to get everythiing correct and have the correct tolls and accessories i need before i start

i have a wave vf-0s to do and a vf-0s reactive armour

im going to take my time, ive also just bought an ultra sonic cleaner aswell soi can clean all the pars in there

another thing im confused about is mixing the paint in how do you do it or easy method of doing it as i carnt find an info on it

I would recommend using the sprues from the kit and practice on them - with all the chemicals you spoke of. Melt or screw that up instead of your kit first. Panel lining is as difficult as getting a fine tip mechanical pencil and running it through the lines! A wash of water based paint will catch the other areas and recesses.

If you haven't, do a search here for a lot of your questions. It's all been covered before in depth. There's just so much info it would take hours to type!

Have you been here:

Truffles

Ansley, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV13 0BX

Telephone: 024-7639-5749

Craft Goods Retailers. Hobby toy and game shops, stores

Hopefully they are not too far away and even carry what you need (unless you've been there). Just mess with the kit's sprue (runners) and see how everything works out. ;) - MT

Edited by MechTech

i have a wave vf-0s to do and a vf-0s reactive armour

im going to take my time, ive also just bought an ultra sonic cleaner aswell soi can clean all the pars in there

another thing im confused about is mixing the paint in how do you do it or easy method of doing it as i carnt find an info on it

Mixing paint is as easy as pie. I mean...as far as I know and have experienced...as long as they are the same tpye of paint (enamel red and enamal black for an example) they will mix. Getting the right color is elementry my dear Watson.

i use a gundam marker for my gundam kits ive built, but even the finest point i find it goes on to quick and is a pain to get off aswell

so i would like to try the oil paints as a lot of people seem to have great success with these, plus once sort of dry a bit of spirt will take the extra off ive heard, but depends on what clear coat i use, mostly i will be using klear floor polish i think it is, but ive never actually done anything like this before so want to get everythiing correct and have the correct tolls and accessories i need before i start

I am a begineer too and for panel line wash I use pastel chalk (you can find some from some art supply store).

I use dark brown or grey (or get a few colours and mix your own).

Use a knife to shave some to dust/powder form and mix with water and a few drop of washing liquid.

Works great and it is easy to correct your mistakes, just wash off with water. Works greate on surface coated with Future floor polish (hard to wash the surface clean if you do not have a gloss finish, matt paint finish is not smooth and it traps all the pastel dusk).

There are lots of material that explain this in more details, just goodle pastel chalk panel line wash etc.

mechtech

ive been looking for somewhere in nuneaton but had no luck, i will try these though

good idea on the sprues though thankyou, but practice makes perfect lol

mixing paint i mean about thinners, like when people say 2:1 etc, i know what it means i just need to know how they go about measuring it

chalks i wont use im afraid as i dont know how they would react to when i want to seal the model

mixing paint i mean about thinners, like when people say 2:1 etc, i know what it means i just need to know how they go about measuring it

Ahhh duh....silly me. :D

mechtech

ive been looking for somewhere in nuneaton but had no luck, i will try these though

good idea on the sprues though thankyou, but practice makes perfect lol

chalks i wont use im afraid as i dont know how they would react to when i want to seal the model

It's quite simple to dilute paints. At a ratio of 2:1, you would take, for example; 2oz of paint to 1oz of thinner (or whatever you wish to use as a paint thinner). You can sometimes eyeball the ratio, but if your doing a custom color use a dropper or a measuring cup (or jar).

Or vice versa to use as a lighter coat.

There really is no specific dilution formula, it's more of a preference that will set your standard for applying paints.

You will need to get your self some future floor polish, you can get it in Sainsburys for a couple of quid. I got some pastles for shading and pannelining from Tesco in the Kiddies bit. They are easy to use just shave off the pastel with a knife and mix the shavings in water or thinners depending on the type. They paint on well and wash off easy too if you mess up.

You'd be surprised at the places you can get sudo modeling supplies from in Good ole Blighty.

Have you got a Hobbycraft super store near you?

Also try http://modelsforsale.com/ they are great for bits and bobs and sometime have had Macross kits.

Edited by big F

ok thanks for the replies

but what about glue, epoxy resins etc

whats best to use, also what filler/putty to use aswell etc

I use the Revell glue the blue despenser with a needle like end.

For thicker filling in type glueing I use the cheap Revell stuff that comes in a tube. I get both of them from the local toyshop that sells revel kits and GamesWorkshop stuff

I also use super glue of various types, and white glue for canopies. White glue is the stuff you used at school and it dried clear (we mostly painted our hands with it) water soluble and you can peel it off if if needs be.

For filler I use Tamiya basic and Mr smooth putty, and for 1/55 chunkies I use good old 2 part car body filler from Halfords.

Apoxies are a thing of choice.. I use DevCon as its hard setting and very strong. It does pong a bit but I got loads of it where I used to work so I guess when im done I will use Araldite instead