Final Fantasy XI (ONLINE) is out Thursday 10/30.

UN Spacy

Are you gonna buy Final Fantasy XI?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Are you gonna buy Final Fantasy XI?

• Yes. Final Fantasy XI on the PC (out this Thursday)
    • Yes. Final Fantasy XI on the PS2
    • Nope. I'm nope I'm not getting either version.
    • Maybe.

I had few problems when I was playing Everquest as a newb. Granted I leveled up rather quickly and did things on my own accord. But the only reason I leveled up from 1-20 in a few nights was because I joined a guild who had a player who was level 45 and we went against hard giant monsters.

Anyways, there are many players in Everquest that just don't give a rats butty about you and will either take your kills, your items or even try robbing money off of you.

I had alot of PM's from weaker players, and if they weren't too weak I let them aboard and led them around for some EXP, but I was a nice player alot of the times.

Yeah. It's hard being the nice guy in a community full of asses. Right before the end of the lineage 2 beta, my clan was so fed up with all the anti-american/anti-english speaker sentiment in the game that we camped out in a section of the road and killed every single player that came along. That was the beautfy of L2's pvp scheme.

Granted American players can be some real asses to each other. That goes for everyone I guess but but the amount of anti-american/anti-english in some of these games is insane. I've yet to come across a US player that acts like some of the overseas players towards non-americans.

I used to help out people all the time in Everquest until I noticed something. I'd help out all of these different people. Then I'd either leave for a few months or play on a different server for a while and then go back. I'd run into the very same people(the same level or higher then me at those moments) that I helped out and watched how they refused to help out the younger players. Just ignored them, were rude, etc. The ones that remembered me and I was friends, I had to go so far as to remind them of when I helped them out(either money, gear, etc) or others helped them out. Wasn't long before I learned that people hate being called on things or having their wrong doings pointed out to them

Edited by Effect

I don't mind the fee, I do think however it's to expensive to begin with, not to mentino ridiculious to even charge for each character you create.

First off, the PS2 Everquest only requires you pay 10 dollars a month, that's reasonable from it's 20-30 dollar monthly bill on the computer (if I remember that right). They also didn't charge for character creation, but sadly so many names are taken that it's hard to really create something you want so badly. I tried to create an evil character called Dead End, even threw in some letter changes like D34D 3ND and it still didn't work.

I couldn't even call myself Balmung, I had to change it to Seto Balmunk, Seto after Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh! and Balmunk just a slight change from Balmung of the Azure Sky. I had really hoped to make myself some sort of legendary player by trying really hard and helping others.

But it just really got thrown in my face. I even tried to create a guild, the Dot Hack guild, but it wouldn't accept it for no apparent reason. After about not even a month of playing the game, day and night, I just gave it up, I don't really even plan to bring it back up since character designs were so flawed and it gets pretty stupid just going out there, hacking and slashing away.

To me, the whole point of an mmorpg, is to pretend your the character you created. I dislike being myself when I'm role playing. If I'm going to be a valiant, chivalery type of a character, that I shall be.

If I'm an evil, manipulative type, I'm going to act that way and kill those in my way. And so forth, and so forth.

It's too boring to create a character and just go out having help along the way and act as yourself going "Lvl 15 warrior, seeking group to battle evil goblin empire!" Instead I tried to go "I'm a warrior in need of assistance! Please if anyone could aplidge in lending me your strength and courage to defeat the evil goblins from invading this town I would be greatful!" <_< but I mostly just got ignored by many till I started acting the ".....lvl 15 warrior, needing exp, hlp, greatful!"

even worse off was starting out with no keyboard for my ps2, I had to wait a few weeks and look for the cheap logitech version....ugh.

Anyways, I don't know who really agrees with me on this, but I swear to god if I do an MMORPG again, I'm so not gonna cave in and be myself. I HATE that so much, it ruins all the fun of role playing.

I know how you feel Hikuro. I haven't played the PS2 Everquest but I understand about the roleplaying thing. As long as their are leveling and skill systems no one will ever be able to really roleplay. Starting everyone off from the start with the power would makes things far more fun then having people work for something. Hell if I wanted to work for something I would be out working not playing a game, a game in which I pay to work. :(

Edited by Effect

i was originally going to pass it up, thinking that it was gonna be another everquest, or not have alot of fans who are interestd in teh game, but our store sold almost 50 copies in 2 hours this morning. it kind of changed my opinioni about the game.. and for $30 (50- 20 mail in rebate) its not a bad try for a month...

Was this a Thursday or Tuesday release? I know they announced it shipped out on Tuesday, but I called compusa down here on wednesday but they had no copies and didn't know when it was coming in. The latter part however, could be blamed on sheer incompetence...

Picked up my copy yesterday, and after an hour or two of setup I finally got to run around in the world. Quite nice. I was a little thrown off by the entirely keyboard driven interface. You can use the mouse, but it just slows you down and it's implementation is confusing and poorly done. It's a lot slower paced than I expected it to be. I'll be playing more tonight, but for a first impression, it wasn't bad. I've already been killed twice now, and I'm only on level 3 :)