Advice on spray painting...

misterryno

Hey all, I just now took apart my G1 JetFire in order to soak the parts so that I may strip that paint off and repaint him myself or send him to get painted. My question is more so for the fast packs though. I was going to spray paint them black and I am not sure of the process of doing so that the paint will stick well and not come off. Can someone please give me some advice? THANKS.

:ph34r:

Hey all, I just now took apart my G1 JetFire in order to soak the parts so that I may strip that paint off and repaint him myself or send him to get painted. My question is more so for the fast packs though. I was going to spray paint them black and I am not sure of the process of doing so that the paint will stick well and not come off. Can someone please give me some advice? THANKS.

Clean, Sand, Prime, Sand, Spray...VIOLA!!

Yeah clean and sand is the really good advice make sure you get a good plastic primer as the paint can peel off a few months after painting otherwise.

Clean your hands before handling too as the oils in your skin can affect the paint too. Best bet is to get yourself some of the disposable latex gloves as used by doctors in the hospitals etc. You can get a box of a 100 for a buck or two.

You didn't say airbrushing so I'm guessing spray can? If so, put it in warm (not hot) water and bring the cans up to a slightly warner temp. It helps the paint flow ,settle and cure smoothly. Keep the parts warm too, just not in the water ;) . - MT

I don't prime usually.

It just makes it thicker and easier to rub off. If your primer and paint are the same color it is less an issue.

Sand the hell out of *everything* especially where parts rub.

Use light even coats.

Rustoleum and Duplicolor are the best spraypaints you will find...

The advice from previous posters valid as well.

big F & MechTech,

Hey you 2 thanks for the awesome advice. And yes Mech I am planning on using Spray Paint. For right now I can't justify spending the money on a AirBrush kit especially cause I don't know how to use one. I am sure it is pretty easy to learn, but the money is the issue right now. THANKS GUYS.

I don't prime usually.

It just makes it thicker and easier to rub off. If your primer and paint are the same color it is less an issue.

Sand the hell out of *everything* especially where parts rub.

Use light even coats.

Rustoleum and Duplicolor are the best spraypaints you will find...

The advice from previous posters valid as well.

THANKS Skull-1, I have actually considered just asking you if I can send all the parts to you to do a paint job for me. But I think I may try to learn myself and not burdon you with my issues of painting ;) .

While we're on the topic of spray painting, I'm psyching myself up to start taking apart a bandai VF-19S Blazer. I want to paint it so that the finish is as durable as possible so I can keep playing with it (the bandai VF-19S is obviously not really a display piece is it :p ).

So with that in mind, does anyone have any experience with KRYLON FUSION spray paint? I seem to remember people saying it was really good at bonding to plastic, I'm just concerned adout wear at pivot points and joints. Obviously there will be some light sanding in order,and I'm told that it may take a week to completely dry, but I would really appreciate some words of wisdom from anyone who has taken this approach in the past.

Also, will enamel paints bond well to krylon?

Thanks.

I don't prime usually.

It just makes it thicker and easier to rub off.

I really should have said light mist more than coat/layer.

only really a problem If you are using Auto paints or modeling stuff.

Other than that as Skull says sand especially where parts will rub, unless your like me and it will just sit in a display case not being played with.

Best of all if you can get the same paint as Skull or Krylon you A. O.K

THANKS Skull-1, I have actually considered just asking you if I can send all the parts to you to do a paint job for me. But I think I may try to learn myself and not burdon you with my issues of painting ;) .

I'm happy to help in any way I can.

I *HAVE* used Krylon Fusion. Only because I couldn't get the color I wanted in any other brand.

It works okay. No real problems with it that I have noted.

Edited by Skull-1

I really should have said light mist more than coat/layer.

only really a problem If you are using Auto paints or modeling stuff.

Other than that as Skull says sand especially where parts will rub, unless your like me and it will just sit in a display case not being played with.

Best of all if you can get the same paint as Skull or Krylon you A. O.K

Would that melt the plastic?

Would that melt the plastic?

It was/is a technique I used for dyeing Parts when I used to Race RC cars We would dye gear sets in colours so that the pinions and gears for one set were all the same colour, you can't mix em up that way. it works on some plastics as well but IIRC it depends on how porous the plastic is and how much Nylon is in it. With Chunky's Im not sure on the contents of the plastic. Tamiya Used to do a kit with really loud colours but you can use fabric dyes and simmer for a few hours on the cooker plate.