Looking for pictures of Wave 1/72 Vinyl VF-22S Battroid Mode

Scopedog

Hi, I'm new to posting here.

I'm really interested in finding pictures of a Macross 7 model that I've never seen before. It's the 1/72 vinyl VF-22S Battroid Mode from Wave. It would have been released in the mid to late 90's along with several 1/72 vinyl VF-17 and VF-19 models which I have seen before. I had a subscription to Hobby Japan from 1995 to mid 2007 and only ever saw the text of it's name listed with the 1/72 VF-17 and VF-19 in Wave's ads. During those years I also collected all of the Hobby Japan EX Garage Kit Catalogs(which are used extensively by this site) and there was only ever pictures of the 1/72 VF-17 and VF-19 models. For years, I've made periodic searches of Japanese webpages and also Yahoo Japan Auctions but I've never found any evidence that it was actually released.

It's listed here with the following details:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models...e/wave_main.htm

MC-16 ¥12800 1/72 VF-22S Vinyl

There's a mention of it in this thread from a year and a half ago:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=19739

The picture in that thread is the same as HLJ's picture for the 1/100 resin. It looks like the 1/100 resin to me, and was probably used as an example on the page for the 1/72.

1/100 resin:

http://www.hlj.com/product/WAVMC-12

1/72 vinyl:

http://www.hlj.com/product/WAVMC-16

There is ultimately no definitive information about the 1/72 vinyl in that thread and I'm hoping something has changed since then. I would really appreciate any help finding pictures of this elusive item. Thanks!

Edited by Scopedog

must be an error on HLJ, I've never seen a 1/72 VF-22S from Wave...that picture is from the 1/100 resin kit of them

Did you even read my post? Am I guilty of a TL;DR?

I know the picture on HLJ's site is the 1/100 resin.

Are you saying that HLJ made a mistake in making the listing and Wave never produced or intended such a model? If so, you're mistaken. I'd scan a Wave ad from an old Hobby Japan and post a picture here, but I don't have any of them with me. There was definitely a listing for the 1/72 VF-22S that was never pictured anywhere in any Wave ad or in any Hobby Japan or in any Hobby Japan EX.

Hi Scopedog, welcome to MW. Sounds like you've been around the hobby for a while. Nice.

I have no information on the vinyl kit, however if I may offer a suggestion to help you receive more member responses: turn up the politeness by not bashing members about 'Did you even read my post?". :)

Hey what's TL;DR?

Once again, welcome. Best of luck with those pics you're looking for.

Hi Scopedog, welcome to MW. Sounds like you've been around the hobby for a while. Nice.

I have no information on the vinyl kit, however if I may offer a suggestion to help you receive more member responses: turn up the politeness by not bashing members about 'Did you even read my post?". :)

Hey what's TL;DR?

Once again, welcome. Best of luck with those pics you're looking for.

TL;DR means "Too long; didn't read" which basically means "your post is long and boring so I'm not going to bother reading the whole thing". All the information in his reply was anticipated by and covered in my initial post, so it seemed like he just read the title and replied without reading the rest. I didn't mean to sound impolite, though.

Edited by Scopedog

A few years ago, I was working on updating MW's garage kit pages, and I started with the Wave section. I had filled in a lot of gaps, and included a lot more pictures. But that one threw me for a loop too. I was never able to verify that the 1/72 VF-22 actually exists...

Wave's code for Macross products is MC-xx. Supposedly, MC-16 is the 1/72 VF-22. If it doesn't actually exist, then I have no idea what MC-16 is. Though actually, I don't know what MC-19 is either. It might have been skipped though, since MC-20 and 21 are re-issues.

Also, I though it was kinda interesting that Wave revived their old Macross code system for their new Macross products this past year. Their 1/100 VF-0 kits are MC-31 and 32, and their WHAM SDF-1 toys are 41 and 42. But I digress...

didn't you read my post? am I too guilty of TL;DR also from your part??

I answered what I know and seen, and have never heard or seen anything about 1/72 VF-22S, if you're implying that HLJ is incapable of making a mistake and must be right cause they listed something that noone (even yourself) has ever seen, then I wish you the best of luck

I really don't care about a long forgotten listing that HLJ doesn't intend to update or clarify since the kit IF produced doesn't exist anymore

maybe you should save yourself from furstation from our part and e-mail your might HLJ and let them clarify your doubt since our opinion and help seems worthless to you

Hi Scopedog and welcome to the boards! :)

I don't have any idea about the kit your looking for as I stay away from the vinyl kits, but I wish you luck. If anyone would know about the kit I'm sure it would be a member here. Just be patient and I'm sure some more help will be forthcoming.

We have a few members in Japan who may be able to dig up some more relevant info on that kit.

Graham, Samurai-M and SaveRobotech are all located in Japan and may be able to help you out.

didn't you read my post? am I too guilty of TL;DR also from your part??

I answered what I know and seen, and have never heard or seen anything about 1/72 VF-22S, if you're implying that HLJ is incapable of making a mistake and must be right cause they listed something that noone (even yourself) has ever seen, then I wish you the best of luck

I really don't care about a long forgotten listing that HLJ doesn't intend to update or clarify since the kit IF produced doesn't exist anymore

maybe you should save yourself from furstation from our part and e-mail your might HLJ and let them clarify your doubt since our opinion and help seems worthless to you

Your opinion and help is not worthless, but the precise content of your reply was already addressed in my original message. HLJ is not the primary evidence that this item was produced or intended. Wave's ads are the evidence(which I mentioned). However, short of driving 1,469 miles to go get my old Hobby Japans and scanning a Wave ad, HLJ's listing is the only corroborating evidence I can present to this forum(in addition to this website's own Wave garage kit catalog). And yes, you have "heard or seen anything about 1/72 VF-22S", because I laid it all out for you in my original message. Am I crazy? Does anyone think my initial message was vague, uninformative, incoherent, or confusing? If so, I apologize.

In any case, learning that others are aware of it but have never seen it either is helpful to me and I really appreciate the input I'm getting.

Edited by Scopedog

I'm sure I have seen a 1/72 one a while ago there are certainly pictures of what is pro porting to be one on the Internet as yet it's the only Wave kit I have never seen in the flesh though.

Could you possibly provide me a link to this picture? I'm very curious. I imagine that the style of this VF-22S would be very distinctive. The 1/72 VF-17 and 19 were considerably "chubbier" than their 1/100 counterparts and also had more interesting, fine panel line detail that is not present on the 1/100. Thanks!

Could you possibly provide me a link to this picture? I'm very curious. I imagine that the style of this VF-22S would be very distinctive. The 1/72 VF-17 and 19 were considerably "chubbier" than their 1/100 counterparts and also had more interesting, fine panel line detail that is not present on the 1/100. Thanks!

Annoyingly I cant find the picture I saved. The trouble is I have so much storage space it's easy to loose a small file. It is entirely possible I have managed to delete it, I hope not though.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, wave planned on releasing this kit which is why it was listed in the advertisement you mention and was up on HLJ for "pre-order" for a time. Ultimately the plans for the release of the model were cancelled and that's why there's no pics of it in existance.

There is a conversion kit for the Hasegawa model kit to make a 1/72 VF-22s battroid, pics of which are all over the internet. Was originally a Wonderfest only item but then Psychodynamix recast it for the masses here on the boards.

Edited by Grayson72