Vf-4 3D model wip

CODY2003

Hi,

Been lurking on and off for a while, but finally signed up (oddly enough, so that I could get reference photos for this project. lol).

Just thought I would share my current project. I've been a fan of the series for a while (as well as robotech, but I won't touch on that too much since it's a touchy subject. :lol: )

Here are some shots of the mesh where it stands. I'm currently working on the landing gear. There wasn't a whole lot of reference for it that I could get my hands on, so I just based my guesses on the location in the line art, and references of planes from the era the design was worked on.

test-front6.jpg

test-back6.jpg

test-gear05.jpg

test-gear04.jpg

test-gear03.jpg

any comments/criticism welcome, and quite frankly needed. :lol:

thx.

Man, great work, and some nice detail there. Good going!

I might suggest some revision to the front quarter of the canopy and nosecone there, something is a bit off, but it's difficult to describe... There is some good VF-4 lineart and physical model material here on the boards, I just can't seem to find any of it right now...

Try here: The M3 VF-4 Entry, courtesy of Mr. March

Thx for the feedback!

I've actually got most of those saved already. I based the nose like everything else on the only orthos I could find, and those were pretty low resolution, so it could be partly that. Now that I look at it, the nose on some of the screencaps I have actually show the nose more upturned than the orthos I used. I may try that and see how it goes. Kinda iffy on how it looks though. Having the nose that upturned might look odd.

Not sure about the front of the canopy, but I've been staring at this thing for about a month now so who knows. :wacko:

I'll try the nose for the next update and see how everyone likes it.

That's awesome. I just barely started to get into 3D modeling. Which program do you use?

I use 3DS MAX 9. It's one of the more expensive ones out there, and probably not the best, but I like it.

hello,

Great model. Working on one myself. Macross Flashback is awesome.

Very nice! What program are you using?

Is the user interface easy to use? I just got CoCreate's One Space Modeling and it's confusing. Well compared to E-Machine Shop it is.

The creation tools and layout are very nice IMO. Basically all the tools you need to create your meshes are all in one tabbed palette. Things start to get fuzzy when it comes to animation. Especially rigging when combined with scripts or links. you'll be bouncing around menus like a ping-pong ball.

The creation tools and layout are very nice IMO. Basically all the tools you need to create your meshes are all in one tabbed palette. Things start to get fuzzy when it comes to animation. Especially rigging when combined with scripts or links. you'll be bouncing around menus like a ping-pong ball.

I know there's a 30 day trial version but is there any way I can get a full copy for free? I know I'm cheap but there's no way in hell I'll pay $3000+ for a software. Lol.

much obliged! Considerably more clear than what I was working with. I'll replace my current orthos and compare.

I know there's a 30 day trial version but is there any way I can get a full copy for free? I know I'm cheap but there's no way in hell I'll pay $3000+ for a software. Lol.

I'm sure there is, but I honestly couldn't say. I try not to pirate much, as I suck terribly at it. lol. I was lucky enough to get my copy of MAX after winning a state 3D contest. It helps to be a graphic designer some times. B))

I know that you can get maya for free, but your renders will be watermarked. Maya is the other cinematic 3D program made by autodesk. If you are someone who might like a more animation oriented program then you could go with that, and have someone else render for you, at least until you find something yourself.

in the end it really doesn't matter all that much which program you have. I've seen some impressive stuff come out of the really crappy programs, you just have to work a little harder with them. lol.

Thx for the good words guys. :)

Here is an update on the project. a few more tweaks to the body and the rear gear are getting pretty close to done. Haven't had a chance to work on it over the last few days (can't imagine what else I could have been doing ;)), but hopefully the coming week I can get some more done.

test-gear06.jpg

test-gear07.jpg

test-gear08.jpg

test-gear10.jpg

also I did a couple ideas for the paint scheme. the first is inspired by the skin of the F-22 (Kind of updates the craft some) and the second a modified version of the one I found on Macrossworld. Not sure which I will end up choosing, but opinions are welcome.

paint_concept_01.jpg

paint_concept_02.jpg

well..... I've hit an road block. I cut the canopy to start working on the cockpit, but I have no idea how the canopy opens on the vf-4......

Does it slide forward? Hinge up? Or has it ever even been shown?

I would say it would have to slide forward based on the position, length, and position of the pilot. I may just take creative license again, as I did with the gear. <_<

well..... I've hit an road block. I cut the canopy to start working on the cockpit, but I have no idea how the canopy opens on the vf-4......

Does it slide forward? Hinge up? Or has it ever even been shown?

I would say it would have to slide forward based on the position, length, and position of the pilot. I may just take creative license again, as I did with the gear. <_<

I think it would be safe to say the the cockpit is more or less the same as the DYRL version of the VF-1 cockpit As it was mentioned that after developing the VF-4's control system all VF-1's were retrofitted(hence the block 6 cockpit). More than that according to cannon the VF-X-4 was originally made largely from VF-1 components. I would say it would be safe to design the landing gear also after the VF-1's on account that the VF-4 is about the same size. If you can use existing parts with little to no change why not keep it, after all the VF-1 had only been in production for 3-4 years by the time Skull squadron left with M2 in their brand new VF-4's.

Edited by Fade Rathnik

• 3 weeks later...

Wow - now thats a REALLY nice model - haven't seen modelling this nice in a while - well done mate!

Are there plans to chop it up and start making Battroid or GERWALK versions of it? If so, good luck to u man - I know how long this can take!

Look forward to seeing it completed!