IRL Example of Macross-like Event

Wes

Reuters

TOKYO (Reuters) - A 5-month-old baby was caught by neighbours after her mother threw her from the third floor window of a burning building in the western Japan city of Osaka on Monday, police said.

Baby Rion Morioka was uninjured in the fall but was being treated for smoke inhalation, as was her mother Miyuki, 24, Kyodo news agency said.

She and the baby's father, sports instructor Junichi, 22, both jumped from the window, about 7 metres above the ground, Kyodo said. Junichi suffered broken bones.

Neighbours had spread bedding on the ground and shouted to the couple to throw the baby down after the fire broke out, it said.

Guess that whole throwing-Komilia-thing wasn't too far-fetched. ^_^

I remember my friend, when he was a new parent, telling me what his doctor explained about infants injuries to help soften his fears about the way his new born son would play. When we're young our soft tissues connecting our bones are much thicker. As we age, these tissues thin and slowly begin to settle our bones into a more functional state to allow mobility. But while these tissues are thick, this grants human babies increased flexibility and allows an infant to more safely exit the womb during birth. It also lessens the damage caused by everyday impacts or falls. Spend any time around a young child playing and you'll see their crazy durability in action. They can fall flat on their face and after a few minutes wailing, the pain goes away and it's like nothing happened. That kind of injury to an adult would likely lead to more serious injuries :)

I'd hardly call this fire escape an everyday injury, but I think I understand why the baby made it unharmed but the parents did not.

I don't know if threw is the right verb... maybe dropped.

Nevertheless, the key point is that the neighbours caught the baby. No one attempted to catch the adults. Gently being deacelerated tends to cause less injuries then the hard stop of pavement.

Though, I really feel that this thread, at least the context of it, is trivializing the event.

Edited by sketchley

I remember my friend, when he was a new parent, telling me what his doctor explained about infants injuries to help soften his fears about the way his new born son would play. When we're young our soft tissues connecting our bones are much thicker. As we age, these tissues thin and slowly begin to settle our bones into a more functional state to allow mobility. But while these tissues are thick, this grants human babies increased flexibility and allows an infant to more safely exit the womb during birth. It also lessens the damage caused by everyday impacts or falls. Spend any time around a young child playing and you'll see their crazy durability in action. They can fall flat on their face and after a few minutes wailing, the pain goes away and it's like nothing happened. That kind of injury to an adult would likely lead to more serious injuries :)

I'd hardly call this fire escape an everyday injury, but I think I understand why the baby made it unharmed but the parents did not.

yup yup. If babies weren't so full of crazy durability, we'd never learn how to walk. It's crazy how many times they'll try to walk or run and fall flat on their face and just get up and try again.