The Guitar Hero III vs. Rock Band Thread

areaseven

Guitar Hero III vs. Rock Band  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which music game would you rather play?

• Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
    • Rock Band
  2. 2. Which version of Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock do you own?

• PlayStation 3
    • XBOX 360
    • Nintendo Wii
    • PlayStation 2
  3. 3. Which version of Rock Band do you own?

• PlayStation 3
    • XBOX 360

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nyko Introduces First Third-Party Wii Guitar. After impressing PS2 owners with the Frontman wireless guitar controller (their rendition of the Gibson X-Plorer), Nyko gives Wii owners a controller heavily inspired by the Fender American Ash Telecaster.

Meanwhile, Nyko is also releasing their Frontman for the PS3. And while RedOctane and Harmonix's guitar controllers clash with their games, Nyko's guitar has a switch (shaped like a pedal) that lets you play both Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rock Band fans...

if you end up having trouble with EA shipping out your replacement guitars or drum pedals contact harmonix directly. I got fed up with EA's BS, 40 min hold times and delays so I called harmonix and they hooked me up with a high level support rep at EA who offered me everything but the kitchen sink. I ended up with

-3 free guitars (in addition to the one I already had being replaced)

-3 free EA games for the PS3.

-1 extra drum pedal in case mine ever fails...now I'm going to try hooking them both up at the same time.

Cheers.

Edited by jwinges

Time to shift gears on this thread...

There's no doubt that RedOctane/Activision and Harmonix/EA Games will release the next wave of sequels to Guitar Hero and Rock Band, respectively, either before Christmas or sometime early 2009. With that in mind, what songs would you like to see on the playlists?

Here's my wish list:

Guitar Hero IV

"Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest

"The Wicker Man" by Iron Maiden

"Shout It Out Loud" by KISS

"Thunderstruck" by AC/DC

"Walk This Way" by Aerosmith

"Paradise City" by Guns N' Roses

"Tie Your Mother Down" by Queen

"Armageddon It" by Def Leppard

"Walk" by Pantera

"Crazy Night" by Loudness

Rock Band 2

"Painkiller" by Judas Priest

"Aces High" by Iron Maiden

"I Love It Loud" by KISS

"Back in Black" by AC/DC

"Livin' on the Edge" by Aerosmith

"You Could Be Mine" by Guns N' Roses

"Stone Cold Crazy" by Queen

"Rocket" by Def Leppard

"This Love" by Pantera

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. My name is Mark, and I'm a Rock Band-aholic.

I was reading A7's review of Rock Band on the PS2, and I gotta say the gameplay is even more fun when you bring in the rest of the instruments and "jam" with a bunch of friends with similarly low humiliation thresholds (even if I do end up the drummer most of the time 'cause they got no freakin' rhythm :rolleyes: ). The character creator in Rock Band adds another level of fun to the whole process. It's pretty much killed my enjoyment of Guitar Hero III. I tried going back to GH III after playing Rock Band, and just found it so lifeless and sterile I couldn't be bothered. And the "guitar battles" in GHIII I simply can't stand. I love these games for the music. After playing through the first battle with Tom Morello, I pretty much just unplugged and shelved the game. Earning "attacks" to use on the opposing player is too dumb for words, and destroys the whole illusion that the game presents in the first place.

Anyhow, in response to A7's question on songs I'd like to see in the next Rock Band or show up for download, in no particular order and including several "not bloody likely" choices:

Buddy Holly - "Rave On"

The Beach Boys - "California Dreamin'" (Call me a heretic, but I prefer this version to the Mommas and the Poppas)

Garbage - "Only Happy When It Rains", "Sex Is Not The Enemy"

Morningwood - "Nth Degree"

Fear Factory - "Zero Signal", "Invisible Wounds (The Suture Mix)"

a-Ha - "The Sun Always Shines on TV"

Def Leppard - "Photograph"

Type O Negative - "Love You To Death"

Stone Temple Pilots - "Trippin' a Hole in a Paper Heart"

KMFDM - "Ultra", "Brute"

Robert Palmer - "Simply Irresistable"

ZZ Top - "Sharp Dressed Man", "Rough Boy"

Linkin Park - "What I've Done"

Queen - "One Vision", "Headlong"

Prince - "Let's Go Crazy", "Little Red Corvette"

Green Day - "Nice Guys Finish Last", "Whatsername"

I'm over halfway playing Rock Band guitar on hard. At this point I'm going to say that most of the songs are about as easy as the original Guitar Hero was on hard. In fact a fair number of the songs I should be able to get a perfect on with a little practice. The only song I am having troubles with is Suffragate City. The arrangement on it is pretty tough for me (I did complete it though).

• 2 weeks later...

I got the mod parts for my drum kit today, which consists of two sets of foam pads and the Pedal Metal with hinge mod.

equipment01.jpg

Pedal Metal with Hinge Mod ($19.99 + shipping)

My pedal hasn't split in two yet, but I wanted to make sure it never will. This mod consists of two cast aluminum plates, self-tapping screws and a thick, durable piece of clear plastic. So what does the plastic piece do? You can barely see it on the picture, but it's directly under both plates. It completely replaces the faulty hinge pin that inhibits pedal movement, which results in a weak stress point and easy breakage. With the Pedal Metal installed, the pedal is much sturdier and responsive.

Drum Pad Noise Reducer Pro-Ultra Color Kit ($11.99 + shipping)

There are hundreds of mods available to reduce the annoying clackity-clack of the drum pads. I opted for these foam pads because felt pads leave a fuzzy surface (which is really uncool for drums) and gum/rubber pads are a tad pricey. The set I got consists of eight pads - four black and four color. The black pads fit perfectly for a professional look while the colored pads make the kit stand out.

Overall, I'm very happy with these mods, and they didn't cost me much. Now all I need is a cheap drum throne.

Edited by areaseven

Now why is it that accessories for Rock Band are more expensive than real thing? At Best Buy, you can get a pair of the Rock Band brand drum sticks for $14.99, but at Guitar Center, you can get a pair of Vic Firth (the stuff real drummers use) sticks for under $8! Same goes with guitar straps. RB brand nylon straps go for $14.99, but you can simply go to Toys 'R' Us and buy a FirstAct nylon strap (which is wider and more durable) for $5. As a matter of fact, for the price of a RB strap, you can get a Levy's (the stuff real guitarists use) leather guitar strap.

Are there going to be any 2nd party Rock Band guitars for the 360 released anytime soon?

I haven't heard of any. But if there were high 1st run guitar failure rates on the 360 one could expect it to be some time before new guitars hit the shelves.

• 2 weeks later...

Guitar Hero hits the Nintendo DS. The latest installment by Vicarious Visions, RedOctane and Activision features a peripheral called the "Guitar Grip," which attaches to the Game Boy slot of the DS. The Guitar Grip features four fret buttons and a special pick-shaped stylus used to strum the touch screen. The game will contain over 20 songs from artists such as No Doubt, OK Go and Nirvana.

Guitar Hero on Tour

Rock Band for the Nintendo Wii. Coming June 22nd!

http://kotaku.com/371465/rock-band-hits-wii-on-june-22

Nintendo fans your wait is over, Harmonix and MTV today officially announced that Rock Band will be hitting the Wii on June. 22 for $170.

Wii Rock Band will be released as a Special Edition bundle that includes the game, drums, microphone and a wireless guitar. Stand alone instruments will also be available on June 22. The game will feature 63 songs including five bonus songs for Wii gamers to enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Def Leppard DLC heading to GH III.

Though it's possible that Def Leppard may be heading to GH IV, too, but as it goes right now a three-song pack comprised of Photograph, Rock of Ages, and the song Nine Lives from their next album will be up for downloading in a little over a week. Nine Lives makes this a Guitar Hero first in that a Guitar Hero release of a song will be out before its album release.

Yeah I wish it were all on Rock Band instead. As for Rocket, Def Leppard plays an even LONGER version of the song in concert. They performed that version when I saw them live in 2006 and my brother can attest to that for the other times he's seen theme in concert.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Konami enters the fray with Rock Revolution. I do like the songs that they have in the trailer (namely Skid Row's Youth Gone Wild), but it looks like Rock Revolution is going with covers for the time being. Rock Revolution will have its own unique drum.

Speaking of drums, Gutiar Hero IV's drum set has been revealed:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/14/game-inf...-hero-iv-drums/

How many plastic guitars and drum sets am I going to have by this time next year???? :p

Now why did it take Konami so long to come up with Rock Revolution? I mean, they practically invented the genre with DrumMania and Guitar Freaks many years ago. If they had released the game at the same time as Rock Band, they would've made a lot of money by now.

And Guitar Hero with drums isn't Guitar Hero anymore. The franchise needs a new name, now that other instruments are being added.