Cosmos Pink Shock - 1986 OVA

Area88

syun_126-img600x463-1162264631jh-1.jpg

An obscure OVA from 1986 called Cosmos Pink Shock, found on the website Nico Nico Douga:

Cosmos Pink Shock - Part 1

Cosmos Pink Shock - Part 2

Nico Nico Nouga requires registration to watch it's exclusives video and therefore I've provided a link to a guide below. Follow the instructions and check your email account to click the confirmation link (check Junk Mail folders if your account is Hotmail). Once your logged in you won't need to any of this again.

How to Register an Account to Watch Videos

Although in raw Japanese, this is a very action orientated show with lots of smart visual jokes makign it easier to follow than most other shows in this format.

I hope to review this on my site soon, it will be geting a Grade: A+.

If you find any rare 80's and early 90's OVA's then please feel free to post them in this thread.

Dude, I tried registering for that site twice now, 88, and it won't send me a confirmation email. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Try using a hotmail account instead, I couldn't get that gmail account you gave me to work with that site. Edited by Area88

Try using a hotmail account instead, I couldn't get that gmail account you gave me to work with that site.

Ah! I made a hotmail acocunt and tried it again, and I got the confirmation email instantly! Thanks for the tip.

Now I can finally watch!

Edited by danth

So I watched all of it, and I really liked it. It reminded me of a mix between Project A-ko and Prefectural Defense Force, but with more spaceships and stuffed animals. I don't know Japanese, but based on the animation alone, I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it came out on DVD.

88, I also found California Crisis. Holy jeebus does it look amazing. The art style is something like 80's surfer t-shirt prints. Well, the look is hard to describe, but I really like it.

So I watched all of it, and I really liked it. It reminded me of a mix between Project A-ko and Prefectural Defense Force, but with more spaceships and stuffed animals. I don't know Japanese, but based on the animation alone, I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it came out on DVD.
Yeah for the stuffed animals in the spaceship, this anime is easily one of the cutest of all time with so many light shades of red and pink. Also well spotted with the Macross parody, one of the commanders was wearing the appropriate captain's hat and uniform. I really liked how the anime was more comedy and parody to begin with but then moved to a more serious tone with intense action and character depth for the second half. I want it on DVD too, I think we need to create a thread and campaign for it over at animeondvd.

88, I also found California Crisis. Holy jeebus does it look amazing. The art style is something like 80's surfer t-shirt prints. Well, the look is hard to describe, but I really like it.
It has one of the most unique art styles ever and thats a fact. It really screams American animation somehow, it's obvious they were going for that kind of look to match the setting. I found California Crisis a little harder to follow though because it's more dialogue based than Cosmos Pink Shock despite the cool and breezy chase scenes. Edited by Area88