Question: 1/72 Hasegawa VF-1S Strike

Major Focker

noob question, sorry. already checked the main site and a fair search of the forums, but can't seem to find info on the differences between Hasegawa and Club-M kits for the 1/72 VF-1S.

so aside from price, what gives? different details? is one better than the other?

appreciate any info/links.

thanks

I'd love to see some comparison shots if anyone out there has any.

that would be fantastic!

even a brief description of the detail differences would still be helpful though.

i guess it's too much to expect a 1/72 to have the crazy detail of the 1/48 Club-M, so i'm just interested to know which of the 1/72's feature more of it.

thanks sdf-1 for that bit of info.

In 1/72 I'm sure the Hasegawa will give you the most for your money. The Hasegawa kits are easy to find and relatively cheap. They really are very well detailed, at least on the outside.

I don't know if the 1/72 resin kit has any internal detail like your looking for, but they are difficult to find and much more expensive.

The Club-M VF-1 series of resin kits were amazing for their time! Excelent proportions and damn good detailing too.

But still, their detailing pales in comparison to the Hasegawa kits. They have far more panel lines and such that the Club-M. And the decal sheets are far superior too. Club-M's were always pretty sparse. You'll certainly have fewer fit problems with a Hasegawa too.

I only have the Normal Valkyrie version of the Club-M, which is the only one that has legs without fast packs. Which really is a shame, because I definitely prefer the Club-M's legs over the Hasegwas. The proportions are better, and they even have arresting hooks! But for most everything else, I prefer the Hasegawas.

Although the Club-M kits are now not as sought after since the release of Hasegawa kits, they do have some plus sides!

First, the Club-M kits will come with a pilot and all missles, which is an additional buy on the Hasegawa kits. Second, you can now almost find original Club-M kits for hlaf or less of their original selling price, which make them a good bargain!

I doubt they're interchangeable (i.e. taking Club-M 1/72 VF-1 ordnance to the Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1) without doing some extra work as a modeller as far as the hardpoint / pylon attachments go. It shouldn't be that difficult, but I've never built any of the CM 1/72 VF's before. What they both have going for you is that they're the same scale, so it should work. But looks? Not sure, especially if any "artistic liberties" have been taken between the wing and ordnance proportions.

Edited by Warmaker

The Club-M is definetly smaller than the Has kit too, i am currentyl working on bolth of them. I also found that the CLub-M fits together really well too, I have had to do very little sanding and cutting to make everything mesh together...mine did not come w/ a pilot, and the Has 1/72 pilot is a little to big for the Has cockpit. I am very happy thought w/ the detail level and I think it iwll look good when I am done with it. I do reccomend getting some new decals, I have some on order from Anasazi that he is making up for me, so we will see how they work out.

Ashton

Major Focker

A bit of advice: from the sounds of it you don't seem like an experienced modeler. Though you've shown quite a bit of eagerness and determination to create a diorama, I think it might be important to consider how your limited skills might affect what you want to achieve. Building a resin kit is not an easy feat, actually its fairly difficult, even for experienced modelers. There are more steps involved, and greater level of difficulty. I would advise you maybe to start with a hasegawa kit and get very proficient in building that, than jumping into a 100+ dollar resin kit and finding yourself completely out of your league. I would hazard to say less than a dozen people on this board could build a 1/48 Ultimate Detail valk and do it justice. I can't and I've been modeling since I was 8 years old... almost 20 years. Its someting to think about. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but determination only goes so far, and you might want to start on some easy projects before jumping into something very difficult. You may even find just buying the toys and weathering them far more pleasing and up to what you want to do.

very sound advise, noyhauser. and i do appreciate it. thank you.

you're right, i am not an experienced modeller by any stretch. though i did build car models when i was a kid, i haven't done any kits in years. also built a transforming and combining Voltes V out of cigarette cartons ^_^ because my parents couldn't afford to buy me one. so yeah, you're also right about the determination bit. unfortunately, that Voltes V didn't survive the robo-beast attack of my kid brother, thereby ending my modelling hobby, at least for nearly two decades...

i've recently ordered a bunch of hasegawas, including non-macross planes for practice, and just one photo-etch set which i won't touch until i feel i'm up to it. also just got the 1/100 macross factory to serve as starting point for my dio, until i pick up some scratch building skills. and i think i joined the right forum to learn from some of the best. you guys have been very helpful and you make this site rock!

also planning on getting the launch arm, hence the choice of hasegawa, because the resin valk might be too heavy for it.

redfinger, i see you're also watching the arm at SSM. leave some for me please :rolleyes: