VF-11 Thunderbolt Color Scheme Thread

hellohikaru

• 2 weeks later...

The cult of Thunderbolt will not let this thread die :D

Description: SVF-143 was one of several UN Navy fighter squadrons deployed to space with the UN Spacy. This example here was piloted by the DO Lcdr Valentine Vargas was embarked on the strike carrier UNS Enterprise.

post-5-1067598643_thumb.jpg

Edited by hellohikaru

Dna

The Pukin Dogs are a real life squadron. The logo of the winged creature is no dog but rather a mythical beast(?) known as a Grpyon/Griffin.

You can read some history of the Pukin Dogs here

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-squadron-vf143.htm

Jeff

I though you never ask. :D

The image has been around at nanashi's for ages now...its the one at the valk size comparisons page. Its not on par with the VF-4 blanks or those based on the hasegawa VF-1 kits but at least is there. I added some detail for the tail though othervise it looks too barren.

It would be nice if someone can create a better even cleaner larger version. I'm still new at these things.

For the newbies:

A way you can use the blanks in Adobe Photoshop 6/7 is to use the channels to separate the black lines.

First click on the channel tab, then hit the small dotted circle icon at the bottom of the window(the first one?)

The select inverse in the selection.

Next click the layers tab and add a new layer.

Sure a dark color(black) and with the flood fill tool click on the canvas.

Hit Deselect. Whola! you got yourself started.

Sorry if it sounds too layman like but i am still new to these terms and still learning as i go.

post-5-1067564905_thumb.jpg

Clever use of layers in photoshop.

I made a basic template. The background layer is the lineart with a few basic colors thrown in, the second layer is a layer of grey shading. This second layer was compressed from several layers made on multiply to achieve a uniform set of shading for each one I do. This second layer itself is set on multiply. These are then saved as is.

Now that it's saved, I can open it again and lay down the basic colors into the background, or use more layers to add in images (as with the Polarbears logo).

Here's a look at the two constant layers that I use:

This did take me a while. THis is the blank I used for the picture above. I spent about a week and a half tracing from several of the VF-11 squadron colors available on the interent. I'm working on FAST pack equiped versions (both B and C) and maybe even a top view. All are free to use it, I just ask that you give me credit for the orgininal.

post-5-1067831250_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nied

No problem at all. You can just flip it on it's tail, save that version, and then edit the post and replace the image. :)

Well look at that you can edit attachments now! As soon as I get home I'll fix it.

Nied

I think the the only visible difference between the C and B variants are the fastpacks ? The C has square nozzles. Go ahead and make the C fastpack fighter.

btw

Don't worry about the size...i think its actually better to be larger to begin with as most of us scale it down later.

Edited by hellohikaru

Nied

I think the the only visible difference between the C and B variants are the fastpacks ? The C has square nozzles. Go ahead and make the C fastpack fighter.

btw

Don't worry about the size...i think its actually better to be larger to begin with as most of us scale it down later.

The C version also has reworked Micro Missile ports. I still think I would be remiss in not including it.

VF-11B vs VF-11C

But all visible external difference are limited to the fast packs and gun pod right ? So all Macross 7 VF-11's are of the C version and all Macross + VF-11s are Bs.

From the conpendium:

VF-11B: Standard UN Spacy version, circa 2040. Lengthened barrel on the head anti-aircraft laser and redesigned single-visor sensor system.

VF-11C: Upgraded version of the VF-11B, featuring enhanced communication/navigation systems. Fleet-wide upgrade of all VF-11B fighters to VF-11C versions begun in 2040.

Just me being anal, (as I always am with planes), but the color's off. You want more of a tan, not orangey brown.

SEA camo (the standard Vietnam camo for most everything) is Dark Green FS34079, Medium Green FS34102, and Dark Tan FS30219. (Unlike most colors, these don't have names, merely "dark" or "medium"---they're so common they're the defacto standard)