Macross Zero Better Subtitiles...

miriya

The subs on Macross Zero seem to be really confusing and difficult to follow. I have heard that it was first translated into chinese and then from Chinese into English and that is why it is so bad. I have been told to Torrent a fansub but I am not slick enough to figure out how to do that and my internet connection is sssslllooowwww.

Does anyone have the fansubs as a script that you could PM to me or post on this thread? I would love to print them out and watch with the better subs.

Bad subtitles is the one thing you should expect when you buy pirate copies, I fell for pirated goods a few times times before.

I don't have a script but I did get a fansub from http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/16.html, it is a torent site, you just need to download a bit-torrent program to run the torrent. If your connection is slow then you just have to be very very patient.

Hey thank you Kung Flu and Valk1J. That is very helpful. I will check those out. I do really want to have a good version of the DVD though.

...So I got my copy of the Macross Zero on ebay but it was sealed and looks professional, although I guess it may be a bootleg? How do I get a non bootleg DVD of Macross Zero with english subtitles? Do you know a place where I can buy it?

Thanks...

...So I got my copy of the Macross Zero on ebay but it was sealed and looks professional, although I guess it may be a bootleg? How do I get a non bootleg DVD of Macross Zero with english subtitles? Do you know a place where I can buy it?

Non-bootleg copies of M0 do not exist. Due to mostly ongoing licensing issues, no Macross series has been licensed in North America since Macross Plus. If you want a DVD copy, you will need to find the fansubs and burn those to a DVD.

The pirated stuff coming out these days are becoming more and more professional looking, I've been fooled by them a few times when I bought gundam dvds. They had great looking packaging and a hologram as well, but the subtitles were crap. From this experience, I've learned that any cheap dvd with chinese and english subtitles is likely to be bootleg.

My advice is to stick to the fansubs, till an official english release or buy the original Japanese ones (very expensive) and use the fansubs as a reference.

My advice is to stick to the fansubs, till an official english release or buy the original Japanese ones (very expensive) and use the fansubs as a reference.

I'll echo that. I bought the HK boot of M0 ep1, and while the video, packaging, etc were pretty much identical to the R2 release - the subs just sucked. And I mean f*cking awful. (WTF is "Nutuk"???)

I wound up transferring the ANBU fansubs to dvd so I don't have to watch it on the computer ... the video quality isn't quite the same, but the fact that the subs aren't displaying gibberish more than makes up for it, imho.

YMMV, though. I'm horribly picky about my subs and thought the Fx "Perfect" DYRL subtitling was atrocious, though some people on these boards seem to be ok with it.

Thanks everyone. I have downloaded 2 different fansubs including the ANBU and, holy macross, they are so much better. I mean, now I can really watch Macross Zero and find out what is going on. The chinese bootleg I had was so so so so so far off with the translation and no matter how many times I watched it, it still did not make any sense. I am going to burn the ANBU sub that I downloaded to disc so that I can watch it on my TV hopefully. I am really excited to watch it all the way through now.

I wonder how many people only see the bad subtitle chinese sub and think that is it. I know that I did. I do have one frined who is a SDF Macross fan who said that he watched just the first episode of Macross zero and had to stop because he lost interest in the story. Probably because the subs sucked so much!

It would be great if the legal stuff could be worked out and they could release a proper DVD of Macross Zero for English speaking people to read. Maybe they could even use the ANBU sub? What a shame that the only available DVD has this atrocious sub!

Well, the hope is that the remaster of Macross Plus and Macross 7 include English, or at least English subtitles, on the Blue Ray (most likely) or alternative high vision release. English subtitles are rare though, on Japanese domestic releases of DVDs though...

• 2 months later...

Old thread, but thought I'd resurrect it. Is there any way to do the trick that Hurin did with DYRL to M0? I have the bootleg, too. I had watched 1,2, & 3 via bittorrent on ANBU fansubs and they were great. I barely know what's going on in the last episodes, though, which is all the good stuff...