Tips on modelling and recommendations for hobby putty, paint etc.

Poonman

I apologize if this sort of topic has been brought up a bunch of times but I'd like to get back into modelling after being away from it since I was just a little kid and I was wondering what "start-up" tools you'd recommend. also where to buy said tools.

I've got my eyes on a plastic kit that I'd like to build. this it what I invision it will involve:

- obviously building it, trimming flash etc.

- filling in seams with modeling putty then sanding. what type of putty do you recommend (maybe Mr. Putty?). then the sandpaper I imagine should be pretty fine grit, that stuff I should be able to find wherever.

- priming model. what type of primer? I don't have an airbrush and its a small scale figure kit so I'm just going to use, uh, Tamiya acrylic paint and a brush (I think).

- painting. I'd like to dry brush it so I think you start with a dark base coat then paint over that, right? like if its an olive green army jacket you paint a dark green base then dry brush some olive over that.

- seal it all up with a matte spray-on clear acrylic?

I'm a real noob at this so any help would be much appreciated. thanks

Tamiya makes an excellent can primer series that goe on really thin. What kind of figure is it? Wargaming mini, 35 scale military, DML 1/16 warrior series? Regardless if its any of those you shouldnt need sandpaper on it Just a light scraping with the Exacto after the parts are guled together.

here's what I got:

IPB Image

I'm basically starting from scratch so I've got to go down to my local hobby store and buy pretty much everything- paint, brushes, sandpaper etc. thats why I was looking for advice on what to get.

Putty: Aves, Wave Strong Black CA, Mr Dissolved Putty, and Mr Surfacer 500

Sandpaper: I use cheapo coarse grit for shaping, sanding sticks and film for the finer work.

Primer: When I use it, it's either Mr. Resin Primer or Mr. Surfaer 1200. Used to use Tamiya Fine Primer in the rattle can.

Paint: Tamiya or Gunze. You can extend it a bit with Future if you want a little slower dry time.

Sealer: Testors or Future.

A lot of these need an airbrush. The Mr Surfacer now comes in the can.

awesome man, thanks.

the Mr. Hobby stuff is a little hard for me to find outside of buying stuff off the web so I may just get some Tamiya stuff because that seems more readily available at my local store.

do you recommend a spray-on or brush-on primer?

and besides the stuff you listed above have I got it pretty much covered?

any steps I'm missing as far as building a kit is concerned?

awesome man, thanks.

the Mr. Hobby stuff is a little hard for me to find outside of buying stuff off the web so I may just get some Tamiya stuff because that seems more readily available at my local store.

do you recommend a spray-on or brush-on primer?

and besides the stuff you listed above have I got it pretty much covered?

any steps I'm missing as far as building a kit is concerned?

Tamiya Fine White. Even against the spray on Mr. Hobby its the best I've ever worked with. You can get Krylon primers that will work but I've always found them just too damned thick. Tamiya Fine White, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

Thanks Kylwell. I'll have to try some of that. The little Zentraedi figure needs a good primer and the Krylon stuff I like is not around here. - MT

you can actually order everything off Tamiya's website so I put in an order last night for some Fine primer and some light-curing putty they have.

things are coming together nicely :)

Next will be buying all the paint and brushes.

• 2 weeks later...

Tools that will come in handy:

A good pair of nippers to remove parts from their trees.

An exacto knife for more uses than can be listed.

A good set of micro files, sandpaper and sanding sticks. Home depot sells foam sanding pads in various grits that are a must have. You can bend them to any shape so they won't leave flat spots when you sand a curved surface and they are easier to handle than regular sandpaper.

Model glue for plastics and CA glue for resin kits. Testor now makes glue that comes in a bottle(?) with a metal applicator tip that eliminates the age old problems you get from tube glues.

Mr. surfacer or Tamiya putty. I use Tamyia, it's good stuff.

For primer I would say go with Tamyia.

Tamiya also makes some good clear coats. You can use Future floor wax also but if you do it is going to leave you with a high gloss finish (it is floor wax after all) so you will want to use something like testors dullcoat to knock the shine off of it.

Artist oil paints or water based acrylics if you intend to do a wash. I like polly S water based acrlyics thined with 3 parts water and a dish soap like Dawn. You can wipe the excess right off of a good gloss coat (which future is good for) with just a Q tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Not wanting to post a sale related post but you can get your stuff from Tamiya Wave and Mr from MW member Rob (Samurai Monkey) from his website he does it cheeper that the shops and it helping out a member and not a faceless corp.