I love my bootleg GUNDAN

drifand

It isn't often that the fake turns out at least as cool, or in rarer cases, even cooler than the original toy. Such an example would be the bootleg Jumbo Grade Gundam, done up in the 'Full-Armor Gundam' color scheme. I mean, I had practically swore off buying the original toy because I really didn't need ANOTHER incarnation of Katoki's retconned RX-78-2. But imagine walking into a trinket store selling Hello Kitty and what-not cutesy things, looking up at the topmost shelves and spotting this awesome olive skinned giant glaring down at you... daring you with that crazy sticker price of just S$99 (~US$55).

S O L D !

This bootleg has just about the same level of quality as the original, with matte finished paint and even subtle airbrushed shadings at strategic areas. I believe the shield assembly is slightly simplified, with the star emblem molded onto the front half, instead of being a separate piece sandwiched between two walls. No loss, the star is neatly painted in bright orange. Supplied are 2 PVC "open" hands and a pair of plastic fists for holding the beam rifle and shield handle. The figure can support the shield, but I think in the long run, having it resting on the ground is a safer option.

There were some paint over/under-sprays which I managed to clean up with some thinner and a bit of olive-drab acrylic paint. Too bad the plastic hands don't have their top halves painted in light gray, like the open-style PVC hands were. Maybe I'll pop over to the hobby shop and pick up a tin of gray paint. :-)

01.jpg

Small figure is 1/144 scale GUNDAM FIX 001 "FA-78-1 Full Armor Gundam". The bootleg faithfully reproduces the color scheme of the original when seen with its armor removed. No clue as to whether the shield is correctly colored.

02.jpg

Back view - the inside of the shield is also nicely detailed, as are the soles of the feet.

Edited by drifand

Wow, that's incredible! I'll have to once again venture into the world of Toy District in search of this. It would look nice next to my Getter Robo and Mazinger Z dealies of the same size. I remember a shop carrying EVAs around that size too.

I've been looking for that very Gundan for ages! But as it's so damn big the shipping puts me off. But as I'm going to Hong Kong in January, it's #1 on my list, and also the 16 inch tall Academy Titans toy.

So I'll have to book extra seats on the flight home! ;)

$55 seems like a lot for a bootleg, but I guess it is pretty big. Anyone have any idea how much these are going for in the US? I'll have to check out Chinatown next weekend.

its not that much considering its almost 2 feet tall.