Sakura Taisen OVA 5 New York

I know there's at least one other Sakura Taisen fan on these forms, so I thought I'd share the promo movie.

This looks very awesome, the Egyptian villians are cool/mysterious and cute (the little girl with the wings).

The original video can be found at Sega chan

http://sega.jp/segachan/sakurataisen/ova5_1.shtml

I uploaded it to youtube it can be seen on my Sakura Taisen page Taishou Legend if the the Sega-chan video dosn't work for you.

I'm deffinitly going to pick this one up right away.

That's true cause most of the animation and manga are about the Tokyo team.

The Paris team has it's two ovas, and now STV's new york team has got it's ova.

I really like all three groups, but STV is my favorite game in the series after the first one.

Anyway keep checking my site if your curious, it's always expanding with more information.

My favorite is 3 / Paris team. Haven't finished 5, kind of lost interest after 2 or 3 chapters. The new cast just felt a bit bland.

Wonder if it'll get picked up for US distribution. Funimation did a so-so job with the Sumire OVA and the first Paris team OVA.

There's supposed to be a west coast US team but the series looks kind of dead now... Sega promised nearly a dozen ST games a couple years ago and most haven't materialized so far.

Paris team was stretching it already....although still lovable. But with US team and similar character templates...i dunno how much I can take it. I will forever love ST1.

Hmmm...the oogami-clone in US team i'm not sure is a guy or girl

Cool. I've been reading the manga of Sakura Taisen (really wish the games were translated but the manga is the next best thing), finished volume 4 and not looking forward to getting #5 and #6 when it's finally out. Love the series and characters. I've been interested in checking out the other teams as I only know of the Tokyo team.

So I take it this one is way after the original teams existed right? How far long after Ogami's team is this one suppose to take place?

There's supposed to be a west coast US team but the series looks kind of dead now... Sega promised nearly a dozen ST games a couple years ago and most haven't materialized so far.

The series really isn't dead... it's still very strong in Japan. What your reffering to was the Sakura World Project, that got quashed after the Sammy merger, and Sega's teams got reshulfed (also the fact that Mysterious Paris didn't do well either didn't help).

But Sakura Taisen is still doing live shows even tough the Hana-gumi isn't going to do anymore Super Kayou Shows.

And I think there will be more games, Sega's just holding off on it for a while. I think they want to see if the PS3's market will stablize or not, since data transfer is a big deal for the ST games, and with the other games on PS2 and PSP... it would be best to go to PS3 is possible.

Paris team was stretching it already....although still lovable. But with US team and similar character templates...i dunno how much I can take it. I will forever love ST1.

Hmmm...the oogami-clone in US team i'm not sure is a guy or girl

Really it comes from the fact that the Kagekidan style was a combination of Parsian Dance Revue and Broadway... so that's why we have a Parasian Dance Revue team and a Broadway team. And the characters really arn't very simillar to ST3's characters once you get into it. ST1 is my favorite too.

It's a guy... he's Ogami's relative. I think he cross-dresses in the game too.

Oogami's Nephew, and yeah he is forced to crossdress and become Puchimint (or Petite Mint) after he looses a dual to Subaru and has to take his/her place on stage (we don't know what gender Subaru is either... officialy all Japanese ST fans say girl, cause they won't defile the all female group with a guy lol!).

He crossdressed a few more times in the game depending on the choices you make.

So I take it this one is way after the original teams existed right? How far long after Ogami's team is this one suppose to take place?

Oh not at all... it takes place pretty much right after Sakura Taisen IV. Ratchet or Latchette from the movie goes and founds the NYKD, and Oogami's nephew Taiga goes to join it. Sakura and Oogami both appear briefly in STV, and Kayama is both a slightly-major character in the game (more so on your first play through on your subsequent runs Ratchet takes over a lot of his scenes so you can actually get her ending), also Kayama will be in this OVA. So it has strong ties to the earlier games.

I gotta work more on my website so this info will be easier to access.

The series really isn't dead... it's still very strong in Japan. What your reffering to was the Sakura World Project, that got quashed after the Sammy merger, and Sega's teams got reshulfed (also the fact that Mysterious Paris didn't do well either didn't help).

But Sakura Taisen is still doing live shows even tough the Hana-gumi isn't going to do anymore Super Kayou Shows.

I gotta work more on my website so this info will be easier to access.

As much as I hate to admit it, the live shows have become rather creatively bankrupt... they're re-staging 'new' versions of the same plays from previous games, and the quality of the music has been on a steady decline.

And there hasn't been a new ST game since V came 2 years ago, other than endless ports of the original games onto new platforms. At least they were trying to put out new, original side story games to fill the gaps between major releases. I'd much rather get a new Hanagumi Columns game than yet another port of ST1 or 2. Every time Microsoft releases a new version of Windows you can bet Sega will go back and milk the dried cow once more.

As much as I hate to admit it, the live shows have become rather creatively bankrupt... they're re-staging 'new' versions of the same plays from previous games, and the quality of the music has been on a steady decline.

And there hasn't been a new ST game since V came 2 years ago, other than endless ports of the original games onto new platforms. At least they were trying to put out new, original side story games to fill the gaps between major releases. I'd much rather get a new Hanagumi Columns game than yet another port of ST1 or 2. Every time Microsoft releases a new version of Windows you can bet Sega will go back and milk the dried cow once more.

I'm inclined to disagree... I loved the last few Super Kayou shows, even Shin Ai Yue Ni was okay cause it brought things full circle to the original performance which sucked anyways so it was nice to see it redone.

Yeah there hasn't been a new game since STV that's true... but I don't think it's totally dead... Sakura Taisen is still a lot more active then a lot of other franchise series.

Look at the gap between Macross Zero and the new Macross, Sakura Taisen's never had anything like that in the decade or so it's been around, but for Macross 5 year gaps are the norm.

And the Sakura Taisen manga is still ongoing in Magazine Z, so it's not like there's no material coming out for it. I think the game franchise just needs a break.

Though I agree a new Columns game would be great... on DS with Wifi!

Sakura Taisen is still a lot more active then a lot of other franchise series.

Look at the gap between Macross Zero and the new Macross, Sakura Taisen's never had anything like that in the decade or so it's been around, but for Macross 5 year gaps are the norm.

You're comparing a video game franchise that spawned some OVAs and a TV series with an anime series that spawned mostly crappy video games... I'd rather compare it to something more analogous, like the Final Fantasy franchise instead.

You're comparing a video game franchise that spawned some OVAs and a TV series with an anime series that spawned mostly crappy video games... I'd rather compare it to something more analogous, like the Final Fantasy franchise instead.

But see Sakura Taisen even as a video game... is an anime, it's an anime where you control the main character that's always been the point.

And I think it's more an anime franchise in how it's handled. Final Fantasy the plots arn't even connected so it's very different. Final Fantasy you don't need to worry about everything fitting together... just come up with a random fantasy plot, insert chocobos... done! (not quite like that but you get the idea).

If your going to compare it to a video game franchise it has to be compared to something more story driven... Legacy of Kain springs to mind, not that they are anything a like in terms of story but that each game was a different chapter in the saga... and look how long it took those games to come out.

And the animation is also very important to the series... take way the Sakura Taisen movie... and a lot of things in Sakura Taisen 4, V Episode Zero and V don't even make sense anymore.

But I think even as a video game series it's okay for it to take a few years to rest, lots of game franchises have years between installments... I don't think we've seen the end of Sakura Taisen yet.

Certainly by 2011 which will be the 15th anniversay I think we'll see something.

See with Sakura Taisen.

Ouka Kenran > ST1 > ST2 > ST3 > Movie > ST4

You got the three seaons of a TV show then a pair of movies to finnish it off, and then a prequal mini series. Cause really ST4 was very movie like, and you can't argue the other three games are TV series like.

So I think comparing it to an anime franchise is very appropriate.

Edited by lord_breetai

• 2 weeks later...

I played 1, 2, 3 and 4 like crazy.

Best team is the Paris Team, they also have the best looking koubus :)

As for Part V... it still sits in my cabinet, unopened. Kinda hard to play a Japanese dating game at home when:

1. Your Fiance Lives with you

2. Your Fiance is Japanese

Besides, I could never get over the red-headed cowboy girl with samurai sword thingy.

btw...

Machinegun Sister = best mini game, eva!

Edited by Duymon

• 3 weeks later...