what color...

My group would be UN Marine Squadron VMFA-6023, the "Outlaws".

Plane markings vary according to assignment; usually they would use the different "Low Viz" and "Stealth" color schemes such as Yamato has produced, depending on the main environment where they're fighting. All fighters in the squadron have black-painted heads regardless of the primary camo scheme (to represent the "Black Hats" worn by villains in the classic Westerns).

Their insignia is a waist-up black silhouette of a gunfighter, with red eyes, and silver guns in hand crossed over the chest, all inside a dark purple circle.

Essentially these guys are an elite UN Marine group who do everything from aerial interception, to scouting out jungle targets for precision strike, to street-fighting in frontier cities, to clearing damaged alien ships of surviving enemies. They're trained in Special Ops, Destroid piloting, and multi-environment survival and are just as dangerous on the ground as they are in a Valkyrie.

naval blue sort of like the hellcats, and corsairs of WW2

given the massive amount of missles that seem to be launched in macross its only fitting.

You read my frikken mind. Naval F4F-3 scheme all the way. You can be my wingman anytime.