Other Valkyries?

SpaceCowboy

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wasn't sure what thread it would be under. I really would like Yamato or someone to make some of these valkyries. Anyone know why no one has yet?

Fz-150 Pheyos

VF-4

VF-14

VF-5000

VC3/VC4

FBz109 Bomber

Fz109 Elgerzorene

Az 130 Panzerzorene

Most of these are in the Mac 7 line, which I guess means bandai would have to produce them, but I'm so tired of the VF-1s that keep getting churned out that I want something different, but still Macross at the same time.

Valkyrie is the name for all VFs, in Japan. If you listen to the Japanese carefully while watching Macross 7, Plus, etc., Valkyrie is what they usually use to refer to any and all VFs.

I'm willing to re-watch Mac Plus and Mac Zero, but I cannot recall hearing "Valkyrie" in either unless the pronunciation is so off that I didn't recognize it. I haven't seen Mac 7, so I can't comment.

EDIT: Also, on the Macross Compendium, the VF-1 is the only VF listed with the Valkyrie moniker

Edited by mister_e

I'm willing to re-watch Mac Plus and Mac Zero, but I cannot recall hearing "Valkyrie" in either unless the pronunciation is so off that I didn't recognize it. I haven't seen Mac 7, so I can't comment.

EDIT: Also, on the Macross Compendium, the VF-1 is the only VF listed with the Valkyrie moniker

Yes, all UN Variable fighters are known generically as valkyries, (basically the japanese pronounce it as "ba-ru-kee-lee", and thats also part of the reason why the low vis 1 has the nickname "bulky lee" on these boards")

You might have heard the VF-19Kai being referred to as the fire valkyrie.

KJ

"ba-ru-kee-lee" huh? Well no wonder I never heard it. That pronunciation is not even remotely close. There should not be two syllables before the "k" sound. I will watch Mac Plus again and listen for it, any hint where to pay special attention (episode, scene, etc)? Anyways, I've steered this thread far enough off-topic already, sorry

As for the off topic thing. VF are called Valkyries by civilians and laypeople just like some people call all cola coke, it was just such a popular model that it became symonomus with VFs. Military people still refer to them as variable fighters.

As for the real topic, i'm pretty sure Yamato will eventually get to the other Valks (or VFs for those sensitive people). I think they did the VF-1 for the obvious reason that it is the most popular, but they're getting around to the other models. The ones you listed are not the popular ones so it may be a while and keep in mind that they will only produce toys that they think will sell.

Yeah, I just hate that by and large they just keep releasing the VF-1 over and over and over again. I mean, I like it. I have one. Now give me something different. This list represents VFs (sorry to offend the Valk/VF sensitives) that have an interesting look and different molds than we are used to. Unfortunately with Yamato's recent pricing strategy, I imagine all such sort of VFs would go for $200+. =(

I think the reason that companies keep releasing VF-1's is because they are the most popular VF and they sell well. I think the number of people who would buy the lesser known VF's is more than likely a MUCH smaller number than those willing/wanting to buy one or more VF-1's. Why spend a ton of money to produce a toy you don't think will sell too well? That's just bad business.

"ba-ru-kee-lee" huh? Well no wonder I never heard it. That pronunciation is not even remotely close. There should not be two syllables before the "k" sound. I will watch Mac Plus again and listen for it, any hint where to pay special attention (episode, scene, etc)? Anyways, I've steered this thread far enough off-topic already, sorry

There are numerous instances, but don't have time time to really go through and verify all of them. I have my Mac 7 Dynamite DVD and just watching and going to the battle scenes and found one instance.

Mac 7 Dynamite Episode1: 22min:20-30sec

The Zolan Patrol launches in their VF-5000s towards the galactic whales and one of the patrol members laments that they don't have enough "valkyries" to protect the whales against the poachers.

Anyway, as for the the "wierd" pronunciation, its actually quite common for the japanese to pronounce it in more syllables than english speakers do. Example: native english speakers pronounce "macross" as "MA-CROSS" and Japanese will pronounce it closer to "MAr-KOO-LOWS"

Edited by BlueMax

BlueMax is seconded.

Valkyrie becomes ãƒãƒ«ã‚­ãƒªãƒ¼ (Ba-ru-ki-ri) in Japanese. Long story short - it's the consonant-vowel arrangement (or lack of it) in the language. Keep in mind that it is a two way street, and native English speakers tend to butcher the pronunciation of Japanese words like Toyota, tsunami, and karaoke. ;)

Toss it up to linguistic-cultural differences, and good luck listening for it. I remember hearing it the most in Macross 7 - pretty much any time there is a VF on screen, or about to be on screen.

Speaking on the topic at hand - Yamato being mentioned, I'm interpreting this as a request for more toys (and not models.) Bandai released a few for Macross 7. I'm not sure how well they sold (probably not very well, given that other companies are not reproducing them).

It may boild down to the VF-1 being a sure-thing, and the others are not; so companies are staying away from them. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't write to a company, and request they produce those other VFs. Though, it may be more realistic for them to appear in the more niche model format.