Black Industries to relaunch Talisman: The Magical Quest Game

I hope this is in the correct forum for this, but I figured I would post anyway. The good news is that they are apparently going to use the best elements of 2nd Edition (by far, the favourite of most people) with some elements of 3rd Edition (speedier play, but lacking a great deal). I'm personally hoping they include those elements from the Polish edition (some new character types) plus extras from White Dwarf and The Herald from years past. If not, well, all I'm missing for my collection is the Timescape expansion.

08/January/2007 - It's Back and Better than Ever!

Black Industries are very excited to announce the launch of a new edition of Talisman. Releasing in October 2007, the classic Talisman game is back and it’s better than ever!

Talisman is a cult fantasy board game for 2 – 6 people. Players control a myriad of characters from a heroic warrior to a powerful sorcerer. In this perilous adventure, play centres around the journey of these gallant heroes to find and claim the Crown of Command, a magical artefact with the power to destroy all rivals and make the bearer the true ruler of the kingdom. Only with strength, courage, and wisdom will players be able to survive the ultimate test and beat their opponents to victory.

Talisman’s enduring appeal is that of a traditional fantasy boardgame and more. Players soon find themselves taking part in an epic quest of brave deeds, daring encounters and death defying battles, which deepens as the game unfolds.

First released in 1983, the game continues to excite and maintains a strong following with a thriving Internet community. The new edition of Talisman will appeal to fans of the timeless original, and will also create a new following of would be adventurers.

Marc Gascoigne, Head of Black Industries, said, “This is the best edition of Talisman we have ever produced. It’s the return of a genuine classic fantasy game, and I’m proud to be announcing its comeback. The gameplay is based on the very best aspects of the previous editions, but with added extras such as the all new speedy play rules written by the legendary Rick Priestley. The game looks fantastic, with fabulous new artwork. I know fans old and new will love this edition.â€

Black Industries Mainpage

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I've been getting more and more into board games the last few years, so I'll probably grab this. I remember playing it back in college (probably 2nd edition) and enjoying it, but it got old after awhile. I think it was too luck dependant and there wasn't a whole of decision making involved.

I still have and occasionally play my first edition copy with my gaming friends, I think we have three full sets in our group with the basic game and the Dungeon, Timescape, City and Dragons expansions (I don't think I forgot any). I'd be interested to see what changes they have made to the game over the years.

It is a competetive board game playing against each other and the board, at the beginning of the game, the players all chose characters, as you fight through the game you acquire weapons, equipment, statistical improvements and money with the ultimate goal of ascending to the throne to fight the dragon king and becoming "king" of the realm. Each of the hundred or so possible characters have unique abilities and attributes. Players fight against monster challenges offered through cards, they can also fight each other if they land on the same space. There are magical spells in the game ( cards) that you can cast at each other sometimes from across the board depending on the card.

There are a lot of rules but it is a good game.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of thread Necromancy since there has been some news. The new box cover art has been released...

IPB Image

And, from the Toronto Toy and Hobby fair, a Talisman 4th edition mock-up was shown.

IPB Image

Needless to say, I'm glad they stuck with the 2nd edition style of board (though to be fair, I wanted an Inner Region where you could place The Wizard's Tower like in 3rd edition) as well as the 2nd edition style characters/cardboard minis for the basic game. The latter will most certainly be a contributing factor to keeping the new edition reasonably priced. The last time Games Workshop published Talisman, it cost $75 for the set, mostly because of all the Warhammer plastic minis.

I'm SO looking forward to November. Now all I need to do is find a copy of Talisman: Timescape and I'm good for my original collection.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil