Macross and historical reference

Valkyrie addict

so, I was searching and reading through a lot of the old macross world posts and read about who killed Roy Fokker were it is a common mistake to think that Milia shot Focker, althought it is never seen

I always knew that Roy Fokkers death was reminiscent of the Red Barons death (Manfred Von Rochthofen) in WWI, where he was in a routine mission with his flying circus, engages some Canadians aircraft shooting down a few while he fend off some anti aircraft artillery also.

The red baron is shot but manages to land his aircraft in a field, when his aircraft is found by local farmers they find his dead body shot right trought the chest (supposedly trought the heart itself), but still manage to safely land his focker tri-plane, thus never getting shot down.

History counts the mortal shot to a canadian pilot who engaged him, but recent investigations showed that the canadian aircraft had no way to get a clear shot of the red baron and new evidence showed that he was probably shot by an unknown AAA operative (lucky shot), thus, making his death a mistery as to who killed him...

much as in Roy Fokker case, we never see who shoots him, and it could not have been Miria since she was deeply engaged against Max, and we do get the refence of him getting mortaly shot and still managed to land his aircraft and die later, thus never getting shot down, which if i remember correctly, it was something Roy himself was very proud off

let's not forget the reference of his name itself, Roy Fokker, the red baron flew Focker airplanes, and of course at the ending of the episode itself were Misa tells Hikaru that Roy is dead and he drops the little model aircraft that Roy gave him, whoch was, of course, a Fokker aircarft with Luftwaffe insignias

so, anyone else has any other Macross reference to real world historical happenings?

The Robotech novels claimed that he was covering (or watching) a wingmate in his squad who had bailed out and was parachuting to safety. I'm not sure if it is faithful to the animation. Maybe he was distracted with thoughts of Claudia's... pineapples? Wasn't that the name of the episode?

It's been a long time since I saw the episode but didn't the call from Gunsite One come in just before that telling Max to run for it because he was being targeted? My money would be that Focks was distracted trying to make sure his group was doing OK along with making sure Max was retreating combined with his own stuff. With as chaotic as they make Macross dogfights out to be lord only knows how someone survives as long as the main characters do... it's like the Normandy beach landing in planes every time they go out. I doubt the real world has ever seen the scale of air to air conflicts they depict in Macross... and I doubt very many pilots could comprehend the flow of the battle let alone keep themselves alive all that time.

It's been a long time since I saw the episode but didn't the call from Gunsite One come in just before that telling Max to run for it because he was being targeted? My money would be that Focks was distracted trying to make sure his group was doing OK along with making sure Max was retreating combined with his own stuff. With as chaotic as they make Macross dogfights out to be lord only knows how someone survives as long as the main characters do... it's like the Normandy beach landing in planes every time they go out. I doubt the real world has ever seen the scale of air to air conflicts they depict in Macross... and I doubt very many pilots could comprehend the flow of the battle let alone keep themselves alive all that time.

That's pretty much what happened. And your point on why the good Major was distracted in the middle of a fight makes sense to me.

Your last point is interesting. It should be noted that,apparently, a lot recruiting among the civvies took place during the voyage back to Earth. I would guess that a lot of the U.N. Wars vets didn't survive the return trip. They were just as green as the newbies when it came to combat in space. An arena that the Zentreadi were experienced in.

Another point that interests me in all this is why Roy didn't seek medical attention after landing. It would make no sense unless one sees Macross Zero, with the extra background it gives on Roy Focker.

My guess is the Roy was just tired. And I don't mean "sleepy" tired, either.

Yeah, he wanted to keep his promise to Claudia even if it was going to be his last one.

to the effect of this topic, I never though Millia kiled him, and I do not know why some people does, maybe they think Millia killed Kakizaki too in DYRL, making her the number 1 support character killer.

isn't the point of the topic to discover historical references that are synonymous to macross? If so, then I can't think of any for SDFM but i can for Mac+ with the obvious Prototype Fighter competition for the new government/military contract. Macross' being a new variable fighter to replace the VF-11 and the real world being the new Advanced Tactical Fighter to replace the F-15.