Kamen Rider Kabuto

Hikuro

Over the last 2 weeks I've been watching Episodes 1-34 of the 36 episodes of the latest Kamen Rider series...I gotta say I really enjoy it.

Now I'm not too fluent in the history of Kamen Rider since I just became a recent fan in the few months. From what I heard of all the recent incarnations Faiz (555) is probably one of the better stories. But I've heard some really good reviews of Kabuto going back to the "bug" theme of the riders and introducing great costume designs which don't over do it in the pure cheese compared to previous costumes and really bring the Rider series back to it's roots.

I haven't been able to see the last 2 episodes since they aren't released fansubbed yet I suppose. But I do really like the series. My only complaint is that in the last 4 episodes they've REALLY packed alot of the plot perhaps a bit too late and could of gone on for a few more episodes. Plot wise I mean certain character finding out they're a worm, the introduction to Hyper Kabuto and Hopper.....it's really a sad thing too.

So I wanted to get your guys impression if you've seen Kabuto. What do you think? What do you feel is regretful in the series storyline? What would you think you would of changed in it? Etc etc.

Hmm, personally, I'm still fond of Kamen Rider Black (despite it being somewhat cheesy by today's standards) since it's quite dark. I don't really like the bad comedy they try to pull in the newer Kamen Riders, or the bad teen angst stuff which Faiz was kinda plagued with in the latter half. Don't really like the recent designs either, but Kuuga and Agito's designs were good. G3-X. :D :D Of the recent series, Agito is probably still my favourite; it had a certain charm to it.

Haven't watched Kabuto in its entirety, but heard of the interesting plot on a grand scale. Don't quite dig the characters, found them somewhat annoying. I guess I still prefer the lone hero as per the previous Kamen Riders. Heheh.

555 has a good story but it ends rather abruptly, which kinda ruined it for me. Characters were so-so. Too much of the "I have a chip on my shoulder" ordeal.

I haven't watch the old-gen series so I can't comment on those. Kuuga is still my preferred series.

Kabuto has a good story but the characters just aren't working for me. I watch the show as it comes out week by week (well...not this week since it got pre-empted) so I am current with that series. I skipped Hibiki last season so I can't comment on that. Blade had a good story and an easier set of characters to feel but they were never really fleshed out so that brought it down.

I caught episodes 33 and 34, the last ones T-N have out right now, and I noticed that the girl who played Sailor Venus is Tendou's "second in command" in these episodes and helps him get his Hyper Zecter abilities.

That's interesting to see 2 PGSM actors/actresses are in the Kamen Rider series.

I still prefer the old-school Kamen Rider titles from the first one to Kamen Rider BLACK (not that BLACK RX BS). Of all the post-Ishinomori Kamen Rider titles, the only one I really followed was 555. I lost interest after watching an episode of Kamen Rider Blade. Will probably check out Hibiki and Kabuto in the near future.

Quite a shame for Kuuga though, the first two episodes had something going, from there it just turned pretty silly with an Ultraman-ish style applied and the story didn't really go anywhere with the 'monsters' speaking gibberish. (Baginggu!) Lol.

But they fixed that up with Agito. :p Kuuga even gets mentioned in it, so it seems they're both in the same universe. I should get around to catching up with Kabuto soon.

I have watched quite a few Kamen Rider shows, both old and new, and here are my 2 cents:

Classic Kamen Riders (1, 2, V3, Riderman, X, Amazon, Stronger, Super 1, Sky Rider & ZX) - They are very memorable characters that begins it all, especially on 1,2, & V3. They pretty much set the premise on using the power of evil (Rider 1 & 2 were meant to be bad guys) and fight back against evil in the name of justice. Cheesy I know :p , but thats kind of cool too. However, the plot in most case are very simple & juvenille, and the action & effects are quite laughable at today's standard. If you are not familiar with them, I would go look up some of the Rider movies, where a few of them shows up together and fight side by side, just to get the feel of the classic stuff. Lookwise, I like these the best. Very bug-like, and retro. There is a current AWESOME manga called Kamen Rider Spirits, which literally revived these old time heroes into something very cool even at today's standard in an adult's eyes. Awesome art, action, and storytelling. Top quality stuff! Go read this manga if you want to really see how cool these classic heroes should have been.

Kamen Rider Black - If they hand picked a few of the key episodes, it could be the best Kamen Rider show ever. The core story is really good, with the struggle of Black & Shadowmoon. Very dark, and sad at a lot of times. But since its a kids show, a lot of filler episodes were thrown in with very juvenille storyine on these. While the special effects are very 80s, I still have yet to see Riders that fights and poses as cool as Black & Shadowmoon. Nowadays, Riders just try too hard to be cool, but often fails. Not to mention Black has the most dramatic showdown with Shadowmoon towards the end of the series, that I have yet to see any other Rider shows can top.

Kamen Rider Black RX - It sucks. Made for kids and kids only with no real good story in it. The only cool part is RX's killer poses and his alternate forms. Even his bikes and car look ugly. Yup. He got a car. :D

Kamen Rider J & Zo - J is passable, as its more like a Ultraman wanna-be rider, with a just not very interesting plot. He is the only Rider that can grow to as big as Godzilla LOL :lol: . Zo is better, even though Zo and J look quite alike, almost like twins. A decent 45min movie with a very cool looking villain Doras. Zo's Rider kick sucks though. I think Takayuki Takeya(main sculptor of SIC toyline) worked on this movie as a supporting monster design guy. He was very young and not popular back then.:p

Kuuga - Only saw the mini movie, which is the compilation of the first few episodes. Pretty good with some interesting characters and more modern CG & action. Fights not as cool as Black, but get the job done. But not sure how the rest of the series went.

Agito - One of the Rider shows that tried too hard to be cool (What's up with that half a minute stance before the Rider Kick, while the villain will not fight back, run, nor hide, but stand there waiting to get kill? And this happens in every episode). Pretty good overall story though, especially the part on G-3 and Gills. But the fights are not that great, with the main Rider Agito disappoints the most. Always finish bad guys with a final blow without much struggle. Doesn't have a grand showdown on the last episodes, and never even explain much on where the Burning form or Shining Form comes from. It just happens and finish everybody with one hit. LOL <_< Good story, bad execution on some stuff. And I hate the false advertising in their OP sequences, showing surprising & dramatic scenes and story elements that will never appear in the show. Bastards! :angry: Don't need to trick people watching your show wondering what will happen if the show itself is really good!

Faiz 555 - My favorite modern Rider show. Characters more believable and has more drama to them. Feels like watching a Japanese soap opera sometimes(in a good way), but they so happen fight as Riders too. Riders not that powerful, and got their butt kicked quite often. Which adds more drama to even the very good fights. And everything connected nicely that you don't feel like 'monster of the day' at all like in older Rider shows and Agito. Fights and bad guys always there for a purpose to lead on to future story elements. Since its a Rider show still, so there is a bit of cheese here & there, and the phone thing might throw off some viewers. But this show by far has the least cheese. Go watch it!

Hibiki - Only watched the movie. Just average. Nothing particularly stands out.

Kabuto - Only watched halfway through, but gave up on it. It got nicer effects for sure, and I like the more relaxed Rider Kick, which looks cool. But the characters are too odd that they are too weird to be a real believable person. While I understand they try to make them more unique, but mostly just turned out to be too odd. Tendoh is just too strange, and tried too hard to be cool. Then we even have a weird make-up artist as another rider, and then another rider, then another, then another... I lost interest afterwards, as the show don't seem to take itself very seriously, with odd humor placed in the wrong places. Though the Cast-Off time thing is cool. Just the 'armor' look kind of stupid and bulky.

Overall, I would say the classics(especially the Kamen Rider Spirits manga), Black, & 555 are my favorites.

Kabuto - Only watched halfway through, but gave up on it. It got nicer effects for sure, and I like the more relaxed Rider Kick, which looks cool.

The finishing moves are a bit more natural. After years of seeing jumping drop kicks, the move feels bland, especially among the non-Hopper riders. That's what I like about Kabuto. Kabuto's is a simple roundhouse kick, while Gatack has to build forward momentum for his jumping roundhouse kick.

That and Kagami really doesn't have much for fighting abilities period.....he's sort of a street fighting like reckloose.

I actually didn't realize it but the series is still on going I thought it was over with 36.....but buddy of mine said they're on episode 39 now.

That and Kagami really doesn't have much for fighting abilities period.....he's sort of a street fighting like reckloose.

I actually didn't realize it but the series is still on going I thought it was over with 36.....but buddy of mine said they're on episode 39 now.

It's a contrast to Kabuto's fighting style. Gatack "street-fighting" style is an offensive style, i.e. just rush in. Kabuto is more of a defensive style, i.e. you attack first and I counter that.

In previous generations, the Rider-show would last as long as it could, i.e. as long as they are profitable. These days they only last 1 year (roughly 48-50 episodes). Yes, a year is 52 weeks, but they have to allow for preemptions like big sports games or other already scheduled programs. So Kabuto will end in January of 2007, where it will be replaced by the next Rider show (It's called the Superhero Hour in Japan. That's the time block for the Masked Rider and Sentai series).