VF-19A with "Storm" Booster custom art

grebo guru

Here's an experiment:

I am not a fan of the Sound Booster concept (the whole "magical music" thing leaves me kinda cold), but I do like the way the VF-17Tkai and VF-19kai look with their Sound Boosters attached.

My Frankentein-like solution is to graft a Sound Booster onto the VF-19A Excalibur and replace the speakers with conventional weapons. I'd call it a "Storm Booster" rather than a Sound Booster.

So, attached is my first stab at a Storm Boosted VF-19A. I'm not 100% pleased with how it came out, but it's a start... and I do rather like the overall package. A VF-19A with 76 micromissiles and a pair of large-bore beam cannons. Fairly sweet.

Grebo

post-4460-1161745895_thumb.jpg

Edited by grebo guru

Here's an experiment:

I am not a fan of the Sound Booster concept (the whole "magical music" thing leaves me kinda cold), but I do like the way the VF-17Tkai and VF-19kai look with their Sound Boosters attached.

My Frankentein-like solution is to graft a Sound Booster onto the VF-19A Excalibur and replace the speakers with conventional weapons. I'd call it a "Storm Booster" rather than a Sound Booster.

So, attached is my first stab at a Storm Boosted VF-19A. I'm not 100% pleased with how it came out, but it's a start... and I do rather like the overall package. A VF-19A with 76 micromissiles and a pair of large-bore beam cannons. Fairly sweet.

Grebo

**Shutters**

Sacrilege!! :angry:

Heh. I knew someone would decry this as blasphemy. No surpises there. Of course, my idea was to remove the sacreligious aspect of the Sound Booster (that is, the spiritia/speaker equipment) and repurpose the design as something more credible.

Thanks for the compliments about the quality of the work. I hope to do a color version sometime soon.

As for the Gundam-ness of the result, I dunno. Certainly the VF-21 is a lot more Mobile Suit-like than classical VFs and yeah, Kawamori should have his wrist slapped for that, but I personally don't see how the addition of the Booster makes it any more Gundam-like.

I look forward to modifying the VF-17's Booster as well. That'll be pretty spiffy. I'm not going anywhere near the VF-11 MAXL nor is Booster; no hope of redemption there...!

Grebo

Well SK was going through his "Let's make the Variable fighters look Gundam" phase.... Hopefully he is over that now...

ROFL! Don't worry dude, I'm past that. Still, I'll agree that's nothing short of sacrilage, what you've done there. I hated Macross 7 but loved the YF-19 as a design, and seeing it mutilated like that with spirita weapons detracts from it by associating it with the VF-19 Kai, or "Ultraman Junior" as I like to call it.

Grebo, I don't think there is such thing as a way to make the anima spirita weapons of Macross 7 credible from a tactical perspective, or even a common sense perspective for that matter. Pretty much the only way the "music attack" remained credible was as a strictly diversionary strategy like Global used in DYRL or the UN used as "Operation Minmay" in Macross II. Once you got to the magical healing power of music, music itself as a weapon and all that rot, the only real way to apply it that makes sense would be to loan Basara to the ATF agents next time they need to use music to force a hostage settlement.

As for the Gundam-ness of the result, I dunno. Certainly the VF-21 is a lot more Mobile Suit-like than classical VFs and yeah, Kawamori should have his wrist slapped for that, but I personally don't see how the addition of the Booster makes it any more Gundam-like.

Grebo

Actually the VF-22 (YF-21) when in battroid mode is designed after the Q-Rau power armor, nothing like Gundam, the YF-19 however, shares many design similarities.

However, if one didn't know what those pods actually were on the YF-19's shoulders they might think they were miniature macross canons or at least high powered fast pack guns along the vein of the strike canon from DYRL.

Arf arf,

Actually the VF-22 (YF-21) when in battroid mode is designed after the Q-Rau power armor, nothing like Gundam, the YF-19 however, shares many design similarities.

Gack! Yes, exactly. That's what I meant. Thanks for the correction/clarification. I am, of course, well aware that the YF-21/VF-22 is based on the Quadluun Rau, and that the YF-19 is the Gundam-looking one. Just had a bad case of the brainfarts...

However, if one didn't know what those pods actually were on the YF-19's shoulders they might think they were miniature macross canons or at least high powered fast pack guns along the vein of the strike canon from DYRL.

My thinking exactly. Rather than being speakers (or, more accurately I suppose, Spiritia projectors), I changed the design of the Sound Booster so that those actually ARE high-powered beam cannons.

I'll eventually get around to doing a color version of this, plus a view with the booster closed, and then on to the Storm Boosted VF-17!

Grebo