Topcoat on die-cast parts?

promethuem5

Hi all,

I'm working on my Yammie YF-19 mod, including the hip mod, tightened joints, filling in some seams on the plastic parts, and some more accurate paint touch ups. My question is once all is said and done, would it be better to do the whole thing in a glossy, satin, or matte finish? I use matte on everything I do, but for this 'Toy' custom that's still gonna be like a toy (it's my play figure), I'm sort of thinking glossy. Thing is, I don't wait super glossy, so I'm wondering how a Satin finish would look? Has anyone else worked on something like this before? With the die-cast parts especially?

Thanks foir the help,

Ben

Ive always liked the satin finish.

It always looks good and is not to Gareish like gloss can be and not to dull and un finnished looking like matt can be.

That said My last 1/55 custom (a Miria) was finished in gloss. My current one (see sig) is going to be a satin.

Thats not to say they dont all have their place. I just like Satin more. That said I dont tend to play much with my toys. I supose in a case of whats strongest your probably better asking which brands paints are the strongest in each catagory instead. As long as you have a good keying paint primer on the die-cast bits your not going to go to far wrong.

BigF has the idea. Satin finish is fine to use. I, personally, use a dullcoat. It makes it look more realistic to me, and always seems to be better off, as with anything with a sheen to it. Any scuff mark will stick out like a sore thumb. Matte finishes tend to hide any scratches much better. But the Satin finish is good. Should give you the same effect. :D

That's what i was thinking....Satin for the whole thing. It's not a total repaint anyways, just some touch ups....

Testors Dullcote will turn yellow. Be careful.