Plastic tab on 1/48 swivel for arm

justvinnie

Does anyone know what its for? It's seems like if you shave it away, you can get the arms to rest 1.5 mm more flush with the body. I'm talking about that little tab right above the screw that the arms swivel out on. Has anyone tried this?

vinnie

EDIT IN: While it may allow it to sit more flush, I'm thinking it might get in the way of the leg bar and also prevent proper alignment of the locks.

Edited by justvinnie

Well after I posted, I decided to try it out on a VF-1A Hik that I was taking apart anyways... It indeed does allow the arms to rest about 1.5 mm more flush to the body... It doesn't make too much of a difference but still noticeable...

vinnie

EDIT IN: If only the shoulders had more play in terms of how they angle out then it really would make a difference, but the leg bar is in the way. As it stands there's just a litle improvement...

Edited by justvinnie

The problem is that there's just enough room between the legs to fit the arms as designed. Trying to get the arms any more recessed would mean the arms would have to be forced forwards are backwards, otherwise there would be excessive pressure/friction between the arms. As justvinnie found out, transformation kibble gets in the way of the arms being able to move forward, thus only a minor improvement.

I've always thought Yamato should have beefed up the 1/48 intakes just a little to hide the shoulders better. Proportions similar to the 1/60 would have been fine, and would have hidden the shoulders better. This is the reason why the VF-0 shoulders don't seem to hang as far done - huge (but lineart accurate) farkin' intakes.

Don't do it. While it does allow for the arms to be ever so more flush, it also makes it loose. The arms now have a tendency to rotate in and out from each other such that the gun doesn't stay on. The tabs are there to provide counter resistance with the leg bar and keep the arms stable. Oh well, someone had to do it. Live and learn. It just shows the tight tolerances the 1/48 was designed with.

vinnie

Yamato has never come across to me as doing things unnecessarily. I wouldn't do anymore modifications that are subtractive.

Not true. Shaving the back of the calf allowed for a better stance in Gerwalk mode for me. Sometimes its good sometimes its bad. Just need to figure out which one. And like I said, the arms are more flushed but at a compromise...

vinnie