Weapons Banter Thread, II

Cdr Fokker

Guess it's about time to re-start the MW weapons thread...

I'm currently planning out my first AR-15 build - currently the only things I have "set" are a RRA lower (which I'll have within a week), a Magpul MIAD grip, and these general specs:

- 16" M4-profile barrel

- Flat-top upper (A3/A4)

- Collapsible stock (probably a VLTOR standard carbine modstock, open to options, though)

I've got a number of recommendations from a few AR-knowledgeable friends - any comments/suggestions/recommendations from those here with ARs to add to my list of things to consider?

The key points I'm trying to decide at the moment are:

1) Whether to go with a complete upper, or get a barrel, stripped upper, etc and build it as well

2) What manufacturers and dealers to go with for the LPK and upper

3) Ideas on sight setup. My current thoughts are to go with a standard FSB with an EOTech as the standard sight/optic co-witness, with a flip-up style backup rear sight.

This will mainly be a "fun" rifle, but is also intended to be possibly used in some form of competition (not too serious, though), and of course any necessary "tactical" applications which may be necessary. ;)

Really? I didn't think that Canada, a country that's generally seen as very relaxed and moderate would have any issues like excessive gun violence and a movement to control it. Oh well...

Really? I didn't think that Canada, a country that's generally seen as very relaxed and moderate would have any issues like excessive gun violence and a movement to control it. Oh well...

Last Wedensday, a man walked into a city college and opened fire with a semi-auto carbine. He killed one woman outright, eight more people are listed as in critical condition (two of them are touch-and-go), and a total of 19 were wounded to one degree or another. The police shot him in the arm, at which point the maniac then took his own life.

In 1989, a man walked into Ecole Polytechnique with a shotgun and opened fire, killing 14 women and wounding 13 more. All targeted victims were women, whom the man blamed for keeping him out of that school by way of Affirmative Action.

That last one is what brought about the modern era of (mostly) tight gun control in Canada.