Need Computer Help

I'm not really that good at computers, so I need some help here.

I have earthlink dial up service and it seems just recently, started to give me problems. It takes 5 minutes or more for me to connect (used to be less then 2 min before) and thats if I don't get a modem error or the remote computer does not responed. I just want to know whats going on? Is it my modem or is it my provider. It also seems if I get any connection speed under 44.0 Kbps, all my web sites say they cannot find the server. Including this one. Pleas can some one help me? :(

first off... earthlink sucks

I know what bad connections are like and if I actually paid for AOL I would sooooo complain. Have you tried other providers since? You may want to try an AOL 1 month free and see if it works better as that will tell you if it is your provider or your modem/house hold wiring. Do you have alternate dial up numbers as I know I have to change mine around periodically as more users jump on the same number and bog it down. Modem issues are either easy or a pain to diagnose... If it doesn't dial up at all it's easy to tell, if it's an intermittent problem it is a lot harder unless you want to drag your computer over a friends and try connecting from there, which is also how you would eliminate house-hold wiring as your problem. Good luck... hope that helps.

I had some connection problems last week and it turned out I had a virus that was redirecting my IP. I fixed it by going into:

Control Panel

Network Connections

Right-Click Local Area Connections for properties

Scroll down and highlight Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]

Click Properties

Look at the lower half of the window that comes up, it should read:

"Obtain DNS server address automatically"

"Use the following DNS server address"

Make sure the "Obtain DNS..." is checked.

It fixed my problem, but yours could be completely different. Good luck!

May want to have the phone company come out and check your lines, make sure nothing is wrong with them. That's what it kind of sounds like to me, especially if you have tried both earthlink and netzero with the same problem.

By the way: Sweet avatar.

Edited by Anubis

I had some connection problems last week and it turned out I had a virus that was redirecting my IP. I fixed it by going into:

Control Panel

Network Connections

Right-Click Local Area Connections for properties

Scroll down and highlight Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]

Click Properties

Look at the lower half of the window that comes up, it should read:

"Obtain DNS server address automatically"

"Use the following DNS server address"

Make sure the "Obtain DNS..." is checked.

It fixed my problem, but yours could be completely different. Good luck!

O.k eriku. I did that.I switched it to the "Obtain DNS..." Thanks for the info and help. Hopefully it will work.I just wonder why all of a sudden I'm getting all these probs.

May want to have the phone company come out and check your lines, make sure nothing is wrong with them. That's what it kind of sounds like to me, especially if you have tried both earthlink and netzero with the same problem.

Anubis. I think your right. My house is very old and so's the wiring. Hopefully It's not that that bad. My connections used to work all the time. It's usually when I have the internet provider for more then 3 months, these things happened. I had Netzero for 3 1/2 months when it started acting up. Then I switched to AOL, and that lasted 4 months, then started acting up.Now I 'v had earthlink for about 5 months, it ws't untill 3-4 weeks this started happining.

By the way: Sweet avatar.

And thanks :)

Hopefully my modem and connections will work. I'm starting to think my computer likes it when talk dirty to it and threaten it.I'm getting ever so close to feeding it to a wood chipper. <_<

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Good advice all around. Another thing you can try is to bypass your house's internal wiring. There may be an external box with a modular connector where the phone lines enter your house. Plug a phone line into that and run it directly to your modem. If that helps, you've probably got an internal wiring problem.

A great place to learn and ask questions about connection issues is http://www.dslreports.com/ or http://www.broadbandreports.com/ In spite of the name, it covers all forms of broadband and dialup. A little tricky to navigate, but lots of good information and helpful people.

Good advice all around. Another thing you can try is to bypass your house's internal wiring. There may be an external box with a modular connector where the phone lines enter your house. Plug a phone line into that and run it directly to your modem. If that helps, you've probably got an internal wiring problem.

A great place to learn and ask questions about connection issues is http://www.dslreports.com/ or http://www.broadbandreports.com/ In spite of the name, it covers all forms of broadband and dialup. A little tricky to navigate, but lots of good information and helpful people.

Thanks ewilen. I just hope I can find something to fix this damn problem.