Trying Out "inking" For Panel Lining.

GutsAndCasca

Alright! I decided to panel-line my VF0, and I'm using ink to do it (mixed with water) because, well, I like the way it looks. The problem I'm encountering is that sometimes smidgens of ink well up around the panels and ink gets where it shouldn't be. Anybody out there know how to efficiently and effectively get ink off a model or toy? I tried rubbing silly putty on areas so far, but with minimal success. If someone can help, please do! Once again, Thanks all!

---Brian

As I am planing to do this with some WIP models, I've been looking at some of the hobby magazines here in Japan for hints and tips.

What I've figured out so far is to wipe the excess ink off right away, before drying occurs.

I am guessing (and this is just a guess, with nothing to substantiate it) that a cloth with a bit of heavily diluted paint thinner could be used to remove it. But one would have to be really careful...

Are the inks that you are using water based? If they are, a little bit of water and some elbow grease should be enough to get the excess ink off of it.

If the ink is already dried and water doesn't work, try lightly swiping with a Q-tip slightly moistened with rubbing alcohol. Again, depends on what type of ink, but I assume it's either water or alcohol based since you mixed it with water to dilute it.

Please post pics when done! I'm too chicken sh!t to use paint or ink to panel line my valks, so I stick with a 0.3 mm pencil. I have used Pigma Micron pens on fastpacks with great succes.

Edited by ghostryder

First paint the kit with acrylic or laqueur paint.

Then paint panels with enamel and clean with enamel thinner - this thinner will clean only enamel and will not atack acrylic or laqueur paint.  B))

http://www.h3.dion.ne.jp/~mokei/j-build-gto07.htm

419096[/snapback]

The only problem with this approach is the disgusting, awful smell :(

I hate getting enamel thinner on my fingers. It seeps into yours poors and finger-print-wrinkles and hangs out there, making your fingers smell disgusting.

I can't pick my nose for days.

I use to ink my model kits, the best way I found is 409.  Use a cloth or Q-tip to rub off the unwanted ink.  Don't rub to hard or the paint will come off.

419141[/snapback]

I tried this method last night for the heck of it, and because it suited my lazy mood. Worked like a charm! IF I HAD A DECENT CAMERA I'D POST PICS OF MY INKED VF0S BUT MY CAMERA SUCKS. *hangs head in shame* <_<