Yamato 1/48 Canopy

Agent-GHQ

Why are complaining about this?  this is a small detail.  If it was like the major defects like broken canopy and such, ok batty all you want.  Obviously you didnt get a MPC.  Wanna a see a QC nightmare, get a toynami MPC.  Crooked antenna, crappy paint job, floppy leg, etc... Now those are things to batty. Hell it lookes a Bandai with a makeover but the Bandais are still better.

So the moral of the story, when you batty, batty about the major stuff.  Better yet, you can always return the 1/48. Or someone here will buy it.

416189[/snapback]

The cockpit control panel on my 1/48 CF was glued in crooked. Can I get batty?

416238[/snapback]

Yes, or you could just snap it off and re-glue. Had to do that on my CF so the friggin canopy (which is too wide and too foggy... boo hoo) would close all the way.

416241[/snapback]

I just repositioned the pilot so he sits with a gansta lean; the crooked panel is a necessary compromise to make room to fit the jin and juice jug. Also the later issue Valkyries with the curved headrests are desirable so Snoop's braids fit. Foggy canopy? If Snoop is flying, well come on. ;)

Yamato tried to add some realism to the 1/48 canopy by making it bulge a little on either side (see line art or front view of an F-16). The problem is that the cockpit opening is too wide, which translates into a too-wide canopy exaggerated by the side bulges. The fogginess and distortion is hit or miss, from what I've seen. Overall, they tried and succeeded to some degree. It looks dead-on from the side, and a bit porky from the front and top. But for a $120 toy, they could have used a better quality plastic.

IMG_0111.jpgdyrl014.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

i've had good results polishing clear plastic with plain, old skool toothpaste. not the funky whitening, gelly, uber-breath funk repelling kind... just plain old cheap white tooth PASTE. i've saved tons of watch faces and model windshields with it. put a splot on your finger, rub it around for a bit, rinse, repeat if necessary. practice on something else first if your worried, although i've never had any problems with it.

I dont have to many gripes with the 1/48th canopys. The only gripe I have is with my Super Stealth and LV2. On the Canopy there is an nice huge seam down the middle and it is quite noticeable. I dont know how common this is or not, or if it isnt an QC issue and they are suppose to have it. All I know is my Super Miria has an tiny seam line and is barely noticeable, where as the Super Stealth and LV2 stand out wuite an bit. I know of an way to polish it off...just an pain in the ass to do. Hasegawa did it to their 1/32 F/A-18 kits and it pissed a lot of people off.

Edited by AC Starscream

The easiest way to deal with the seam in the canopy is to keep your valk in battroid mode so it's hidden behind the heatshield. Out of sight, out of mind. There you go, problem solved.

meh, the seam doesn't really bug me. I don't notice it unless I'm looking for it.

Though, it would be nice if yamato would stop with seam nonsense and just design their toys to eliminate it in problem areas. Like... oh, down the middle of the 1s head...

I don't think there's a way to mold a large scale canopy with any sort of side curvature, without a split mold (and thus the seam). I remember my 1/32 F-15 w/ASAT kit as a kid and that big-a$$ seam on the canopy. Ohh... the disappointment.

417679[/snapback]

there is... you would have to vacuum form the pieces instead of injection molding them. It's probably not worthwhile financially though.

The easiest way to deal with the seam in the canopy is to keep your valk in battroid mode so it's hidden behind the heatshield. Out of sight, out of mind. There you go, problem solved.

417633[/snapback]

Battroid is my least favorite mode of the Valkyrie so that solves nothing. My shelf would look really stupid with 14 battroids, no Gerwalks, and no fighters.

I don't think there's a way to mold a large scale canopy with any sort of side curvature, without a split mold (and thus the seam). I remember my 1/32 F-15 w/ASAT kit as a kid and that big-a$$ seam on the canopy. Ohh... the disappointment.

417679[/snapback]

Make the seam adjacent to the FRAME. Then it is hidden.

417679[/snapback]

417771[/snapback]

If the canopy bulges along the sides, splitting the mold along the cross-frame won't make it much easier to get the darn canopy out.

417679[/snapback]

417771[/snapback]

If the canopy bulges along the sides, splitting the mold along the cross-frame won't make it much easier to get the darn canopy out.

417773[/snapback]

vacuum mold it, and slide the mold out from the rear. the pinch in the canopy really isn't that severe.