Review And Comparison Of The 1/72 Mk Ii Monster's

Grayson72

Well we will all soon be receiving Mike's new version of the Mk II Monster in 1/72 scale (hey my favorite scale what do ya know ;) ).

I'm one of the people who bought the recast of the original Monster offered at Wonderfest from Samurai Monkey. I decided to do a comparison of the two kits just in case any of you were thinking you might be missing something by not having the original (you're not).

The recast was $400 dollars and not much detail, Mikes is around $200 and has more than twice the detail so I think it's a good deal, plus this one comes with good decals (thanks to me wink wink).

Anyway, so without further ado lets check out some comparison shots.

I'll just start with whatever I happened to shoot first which in this case is the rear engine cover.

post-198-1151650404_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151650428_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151650493_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151650509_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151650549_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grayson72

And probably my favorite part of the whole model... the engine detail, mikes looks like something that came out of the model shop at ILM, the old version...well...nothing to see here folks, move along.

Even the vents on the outside of the engine compartment are so much nicer on Mike's version, the vents on the old one look like my two year old made it out of play Dough.

post-198-1151650782_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151650796_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151650812_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151650845_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grayson72

Ah yes the main body of this beast, this really came out nice on Mikes version, lots of scribed panel lines (some are a bit shallow for my taste so I will probly rescribe them). I like how Mike positioned the stubs for where the cannon go, when the cannon barrels are installed they will look much better in their more pronounced staggered positions than the older version.

Mike has raised and recessed detail all over this kit which really gives it great dimension.

post-198-1151651303_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151651360_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151651372_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151651384_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151651396_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151651435_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grayson72

Ok the canopy section is the only part where I think it could have used a tad more detail, I like the raised detail on the old version better, the new version kinda looks like a cherry sucker that got left out in the sun too long (sorry Mike).

The cool part is the red canopy and several other parts are cast in red clear resin so the kit can be lighted, I think I can add just a bit more detail to the canopy part using thin strips of styrene so no big deal there.

post-198-1151651685_thumb.jpg

Ok arm joints... there's several of these connecting those gigantic arm cannons to the main body, let's have a look shall we?

The peices are so incredibly different that I'm guessing that I'm comparing the correct parts to each other (especially since neither kit came with instructions...ahem).

The first pic, well not really sure where they go but again great detail and refinement on Mike's version.

The next pic is of the joints that connect the arm joints to the main arm cannons, again no comparison in terms of quality and detial.

And the last pic...what happened here? Mike's version has some nice raised detail and cool ridging around the outer edge, the older version...well...who dropped the wrench in the big wad of chewing gum?

post-198-1151651843_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151651873_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151651896_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grayson72

Ok on to those huge arm cannons, oh baby!

In the first pic you can see some major design differences (artistic license) with the raised detail, Mike's is a bit more subtle and I like it better.

The next pic is a shot of the cannon exhaust ports (or whatever they're called). While the old version has some nice detail, Mike's version is much more subtle and way closer to the line art, so I think Mike's version is the winner again :).

aaaaaand my camera has run out of batteries so that's it for now, up next is cannon barrels and the legs. Stayed tuned peeps.

post-198-1151652475_thumb.jpg

post-198-1151652488_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grayson72

OMG!!! I never imagine so many differences between these two kits...

Mike's is far better.... I can't wait for my kit! (I think I'm in the 8th batch... :( )

Mike's kit is superbly detailed and VERY accurate!!! I studied the monster drawings for a year before building my own in 1/100th. All those photos bring back memories of all the drawings and screenshots I studied over for hours and hours. Mike's sculpt is not only extremely accurate, the resin quality sure looks better too! I'm glad I don't build in 1/72nd or I'd HAVE to buy one! :lol: - MT