Supreme Commander

Oihan

I remember back in 1997 when Total Annihilation was released. I didn't know anything about it but it had caught my eye, and am I ever glad it did. Some argue it's still one of the best RTS games out there to this day, and I'd have to agree with them. Come 2007 the sequel to TA will come out. Judging from the trailer of actual game footage...the game looks like an orgasm-fest (if you ask me anyway). I CANNOT wait till this game comes out!!! Any of you ever played TA? What did you think of it? What are your guys' thoughts on Supreme Commander? Anyone else stoked about this game?

Edit:If you go to the Supreme Commander website and check out the media section, you can watch some actual in-game footage.

Edited by Oihan

Oh man I remember playing Total Annihilation way back when. On the site for sending in unit suggestions that they'd let people vote for and turn into downloadable units, I kept sending in the suggestion of a variable fighter. :p I gave up. lol

I loved that game. I would play with some of my buddies and we'd play that game for hours. My favorite thing would be to build a huge airforce of gunships and sweep into my friend's base and wipe out all his buildings and ground units. I would have so many gunships that it didnt matter if he had anti-air aircraft, they'd get blown out of the air in an instant. :D Ah.... The D-gun. Good stuff.

Never knew they were doing another game.

I've been watching this ones progress for a while now so yes I'm stoked. I may even buy a new machine just before it comes out to make sure I don;t run into any hardware issues.  :D

406948[/snapback]

Haha, yea...I think I'll be buying a new machine just for this game as well, though I'm sure the rig I have now should be able to support...but I want to play the game in all it's glory! I've read that the game will make full use of dual core CPUs, but having a dual core CPU won't be required.

Oh man I remember playing Total Annihilation way back when.  On the site for sending in unit suggestions that they'd let people vote for and turn into downloadable units, I kept sending in the suggestion of a variable fighter. :p  I gave up. lol

I loved that game.  I would play with some of my buddies and we'd play that game for hours.  My favorite thing would be to build a huge airforce of gunships and sweep into my friend's base and wipe out all his buildings and ground units.  I would have so many gunships that it didnt matter if he had anti-air aircraft, they'd get blown out of the air in an instant. :D  Ah....  The D-gun.  Good stuff.

Never knew they were doing another game.

406950[/snapback]

LOL, I use the same staregy in TA...build a massive air force of about 60+ and send them in.... I LOVE the chaos.

I wonder if they improved sea combat.  TA was great but it barely had any pure sea maps to have massive ship vs ship combat also AI wasn't geared to build much sea units.

406967[/snapback]

Well, you should check out the video, the HD version of their in-game footage/trailer is stunning.... The game looks much improved.... Dunno how it will play out though, won't know till next year. I've been reading the forums for the game and it looks like they really care to know what we want in the game.... Of course that goes w/o saying that not all the ideas (if any) will be implemented, but they're looking for more ideas.

I wonder if they improved sea combat.  TA was great but it barely had any pure sea maps to have massive ship vs ship combat also AI wasn't geared to build much sea units.

406967[/snapback]

There are no "maps" as such the playing area is an entrire planet and you can zoom out/in and around the whole planet at your own free will.

The sea going units that were shown in the video should put your fears to rest.

I just crapped my pants. My computer had problems watching the trailer even.....utilising all my ram. :lol: There's no question that my computer can't play this game.

Looks really stunning. It looks pretty much a souped up WH40k Dawn Of War engine though since its by THQ too.

I saw a cam video of the game presentation at E3 2006. Apparently the 'map' shown in the trailer is about 400 square kilometers in size and is 1/16th the size of their largest maps....1/16TH! It also has dual monitor support. Also, you can change way points on the fly with ease and coordinate attacks so two groups attack at the same time rather than who gets their first.

Video on Google

Bittorrent of the cam video

Edited by Oihan

I admit i wasn't one of the people who played TA due to Starcraft which was released about the same time. So i'm not sure how this one's gameplay is like. It seems to me like "build as much and as fast as you can and then tank rush the opposition". The game has tonnes of units, so how you're gonna micro them all or keep clicking the "build" button is gonna be a chore. If the battles are at that huge a magnitude in game as shown on the trailer, computer AI has to be superbly good.

I admit i wasn't one of the people who played TA due to Starcraft which was released about the same time. So i'm not sure how this one's gameplay is like. It seems to me like "build as much and as fast as you can and then tank rush the opposition". The game has tonnes of units, so how you're gonna micro them all or keep clicking the "build" button is gonna be a chore. If the battles are at that huge a magnitude in game as shown on the trailer, computer AI has to be superbly good.

The game isn't built around micromanagement, which is why unlike Starcraft it's actually fun.

Building is all queue based.

Oh sorry i meant the "build" button as in the way of building a number of units. I meant, I'd rather you build a squad of tanks/mechs/fighters rather than build 1 by 1 and then organise them into squads manually, except for the bigger units. Something like Empire at War and Dawn Of War.

Oh sorry i meant the "build" button as in the way of building a number of units. I meant, I'd rather you build a squad of tanks/mechs/fighters rather than build 1 by 1 and then organise them into squads manually, except for the bigger units. Something like Empire at War and Dawn Of War.

407155[/snapback]

You can have to where it automatically does it for you in TA. Just assign the plant/factory a 'squad number' and every unit that comes from that plant/factory is automatically in that squad.